I Was Bored

By Jabo
United Kingdom
I was without my computer for a few days, and didn't realise how bored I would be. It surprised me as I didn't get a computer until I was 73, and quite happily filled my time before that. To make matters worse I couldn't even get out gardening as it hardly stopped raining. We needed the rain as we hardly had any all summer, but it would come when I hadn't much else to do. I've been reading books and doing Sudoku and other puzzles, wrote a couple of poems, but still got bored. This computer thing really takes hold of you, doesn't it? What do you do when your computer is out of action? Photo is of one of my baskets.
I won't last too long A couple of months ago, I decided to give up my internet until the service was much improved. I lasted 20 days. I decided that half a loaf was better than no bread and I will work with the faulty service until it gets better.
I remember you doing that - has the service not improved?
@jaboUK It is a bit worse. It is a daily battle to do anything online.
@Kandae11 How frustrating for you.
• Eugene, Oregon
I feel a bit lost when internet service is not available too. I start looking at the books of poetry I have around and enjoy that.
As you know, I like poetry too, but not an overload of it
You are so right, I cannot believe how much computer dependent we have become. First thing I do in the morning is to read the news using my computer, then my emails. I wonder if I should try to use it less.
It's become a way of life hasn't it? I felt really cut off without mine.
@jaboUK The day I had a problem and I waited for a new power to replace the old one in my desktop computer I was lost.
@xFiacre (4771)
@jabouk @ladyduck My wife forbids me to take my phone on holiday so that I can’t check emails or be contacted about work. It annoys me but I appreciate it. She takes her phone of course, but only so that family can contact us. I feel useless and isolated for the first few days.
There are days when both the computer and tv get out of bounds specially when there is thunder and lightning. I reminisce sitting in my favourite corner. There is so much to go back to - happy and sad memories.
Oh yes, we can alwys reminisce, but I like to be doing something
@jaboUK Not that I just sit and reminisce but that is a part of keeping me occupied
@Morleyhunt (20276)
I will read, sew, bake....quilt, sew.....did I mention sew? I get much more accomplished when I step away from the computer.
I don't have any of those skills, my skills are gardening and writing poems. I couldn't do the former because of the weather, and my ideas for poetry ran out after I'd done a couple of poems.
@Morleyhunt (20276)
@jaboUK my husband is passionate about the garden....I don't mind helping....but I might get my hands dirty, and then sewing could be a problem.
@myklj999 (16749)
"I was without my computer for a few days, and didn't realise how bored I would be. It surprised me as I didn't get a computer until I was 73" So when I saw the preview for this, I thought it was going to be a poem. I'd go ape without mine. This is my 'social life' these days, being as I don't care much for physically being around people.
Lol - that is almost a poem without me realising it. So your computer is really a necessity for you?
@myklj999 (16749)
@jaboUK Pretty much. I don't have any 'friends' I go visit, and I don't go out anywhere except for shopping.
@myklj999 No girlfriend?
I have been attached to the computer and am at a loss to know what to do without computer in the afternoon -I hardly play it in the morning.Same here,I didn't feel bored when I have no computer,but without it, I like a cat on hot bricks now.
That's a good way to put it Chang - a cat on hot bricks
@changjiangzhibin89 I feel empty without my computer and found when did not have my phone I missed it.
@Hannihar Nowadays it seems that we can't do without computer and phone.
I love seeing photos of your beautiful flowers. I hate being without my computer too. If I can't use it for some reason I usually resort to reading or crocheting. I even sudoku on my computer although I try to have a book of puzzles on hand as well.
I've never tried sudoku on my computer, perhaps I'll have a look. I like the really difficult ones in 4 by 4 sqares instead of 3 by 3. Thanks for liking the flowers.
@jaboUK Is that the one that uses 0-9 and A-F? I love those but you don't often find them.
@JudyEv Yes, they are the ones. I have a couple of books of them, and what I do is copy them onto graph paper and do them again.
I was a bit younger than you when I got to know computering, but I was already ancient from the point of view of the young computer freaks of today. I've been online for 18 years now and I can say that life without a computer is possible but not desirable! :-)
You've hit the nail on the head - possible but not desirable
@jaboUK I remember that once when I was teaching a class of ~15-year-old pupils, I said to a boy, "Believe it or not, there was life before computers were invented". He replied from the bottom of his heart, "Thank God that I wasn't born then yet."
You are so right.
I go nuts when I can't be online, lately I've had some vision problems and can't see well enough to be online that much.
I read your message and am sorry about that. So how are you filling in your time? Presumably you can't read much either.
I can read if I squint and get close to the screen @jaboUK but that's tiring and then I've also been busy cleaning up mom's house, finally, and that too has been time consuming. I'm hoping my vision improves soon so that I can resume my normal online activities, I really miss all of you here. Isn't it funny how we've come to make so many friends on the internet? I can remember when I would have argued it wasn't possible, silly me.
I have heard that computers are a worse addiction than most of the others. I could quit smoking, but I don´t know what I´d do now without my laptop.
Exactly, it's the same for me. I felt really isolated without mine.
@jaboUK Addiction
I think the computer really does make us somewhat unable to think of other things we could do that are worthwhile. I know so much time sitting while on the computer does not do our bodies, and perhaps our minds, much good.
You' re right about the bodies, but it can do our minds good and we can learn a lot.
First, I love your flower basket. Second, when I don't have my computer, I feel lost!
You're like me - don't know what to do with myself witthout the computer . Thanks for liking my basket.
Well, when I don't have my computer I definitely read my Bible more often. I spend more time with my children and husband. Anywhere we live gets cleaned a whole lot more too, Lol.
Lol - cleaning is the last thing on my list! Your children obviously take up a lot of your time anyway.
@riverwild (2303)
i get bored without internet. it was off a few days ago
You feel the same as me
Your basket is bright and beautiful. I know that we rely on our devices a lot more then we realize it, and when they are gone we realize it pretty quickly! Welcome back.
It really did surprise me how much I missed it - I even went to bed early!
@yoalldudes (2353)
I love you bouquet so much.
Thank you, I love growing flowers
@jaboUK You mush have a green thumb.
@yoalldudes We call it 'green fingers' in England, but yes, I do seem to have them.
Write, draw, read, play a video game on one of the systems, watch movies, crochet, get out of the house and ride my bike, go swimming. Computers are nice and I wouldn't want to be without one, but I don't think I would be short on things I can do to pass the time.
That's good, and I didn't think that I would miss it quite as much as I did.
@jaboUK I will admit that while I would be doing any of those things I would constantly want and try to get onto the computer in between. "Okay, I went swimming now to get onto my laptop and check up on my good friend... oh, yeah. I cant. Um...reading! I will just get on my computer and transfer the book I am reading... er... no computer. I forgot. I will just go make lunch. What was that recipe I found on the internet?... Maybe I will make something else."
@things4gotten Yes, it's become so much a part of our lives now.
@ridingbet (57740)
i love the randomness of flowers in that basket. yes, i believe a day without working in our computer makes our day dull.
That's it - you've hit on the right word - dull. Glad you like the basket - I just bung the plants in and hope they look ok when they flower
@ridingbet (57740)
@jaboUK i guess when you do the floral arrangement of a wedding, the venue will be so colorful and so organic with the fresh flowers you will place in every decorative pot, or the bride's bouquet.
@ridingbet I've never done any floral arrangements for anything, my flowers stay in the garden till they die
I'm curious, what kind of soil do you use in your baskets? I want to see if I can create something like that inside my home.
I use packaged compost in my baskets - it has a lot of nutrients added, and I put slow release fertilier pellets in when I plant them up.
Thanks @jaboUK I'll have to give that a try.