Bringing home the (Canadian) bacon

Bunbury, Australia
I responded to a discussion by @topffer who said he’d been to Spain from France to buy up on some items which are cheaper there. It reminded me that Vince brought home some bacon a few days ago that has come from Canada. We live in Western Australia. According to the butcher in the shop, it is shipped over then salted and pumped full of water (so they’re not paying freight on water). Vince could have bought Australian bacon at $25 a kilo (2.2 pounds). The Canadian bacon was $12 a kilo so in this instance we didn’t buy local although we normally try to. I have no idea why Canadian bacon is so much cheaper. It just seems crazy to me. I know many of you will have seen this photo before but I can’t resist putting it up again. The image is free to use.
@moffittjc (46415)
• Gainesville, Florida
It is hard to believe that shipping that Canadian bacon halfway around the world would still be cheaper than the cost of local Australian bacon. I often ponder the same thing here in the US, about products that are manufactured in China and shipped to the US for sale. I would think that it would be cheaper to produce in our own country than to ship it from around the world. But I guess I'm wrong on that. Anyway, I love bacon, so as much as I would like to shop locally, if I found Canadian bacon to be much cheaper than our own local bacon, I would have chosen the Canadian bacon as well!
Our bacon was over twice as dear so it was hard to argue against buying the cheaper stuff. It certainly tasted nice.
@moffittjc (46415)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Whether it's cheap stuff or expensive stuff, bacon always tastes great!
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@moffittjc with each country now trying to raise import tariffs and other such taxes, local produce will be cheaper. I am not sure whether increased protectionism is good for world trade or not, though!
@topffer (36488)
• Goa, India
An interesting alternative to a horse I wonder sometimes if they did not forgot to pay the transport of some goods...
I'd love to know the background to the photo. I don't know how the imported bacon can be so much cheaper than our own. It makes no sense at all to me.
@1hopefulman (33840)
That is amazing that it's cheaper and so much cheaper than the local one. How was the taste?
It tasted fine. I can't work out how they can be selling imported bacon for that price and local bacon for so much more.
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@1hopefulman heavy government support and may be lower labour costs could be the reason.
@1hopefulman (33840)
@JudyEv Could be that we have a lot of pigs here!
@bluesa (15214)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Not sure why certain products from certain countries are cheaper, but thank goodness there are bargains like that because life is becoming more expensive. That child does not look amused hanging onto that pig.
It seems strange that it is so much cheaper when it has had to be imported all the way from Canada. The boy doesn't look at all pleased does he?
@bluesa (15214)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JudyEv I also wonder how they work it out. No, he looks quite disgruntled, but it is cute.
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@bluesa products from certain countries are cheaper because of : A)High subsidies on certain products from their own state (Province) or central governments. B)Low labour cost incurred on products in the country exporting the product- applicable for China/India and now Bangladesh (In textiles) to a great extent. C)Currency exchange rate, and depreciation. For e.g- Indian rupee is sliding below 70 mark. 1 US Dollar= 55 Rupees compared to 1 US Dollar = 70 Rupees - this is unfavorable for Indian importers, but could be favorable for American importers(if certain Mr. Donald Trump does not interfere too much!)
Love the picture, must be a nice pig, he looks big enough to do some damage if he wanted too.
True. You don't want to mess with pigs. They can be very hostile if it suits them.
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@TRBRocks420 from some distance it looked more like a young rhinoceros!
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@YrNemo (14768)
Perhaps the Canadians have more pig farmings there than the Australians?
Maybe but the industry will never grow while there is such a discrepancy in prices.
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@JudyEv governments sometimes give added benefits to the domestic farmers due to lobby pressures or due to the votes factors. And this is common- be a developing nation like India or developed nations like Canada, UK etc.
Very strange pricing indeed.
No wonder our poor farmers are going broke.
@JudyEv yeah..
@aureliah (19789)
• Kenya
I find the image quite beautiful
I wonder if he actually rode the pig. I'd love to know more about the pair.
@aureliah (19789)
• Kenya
@JudyEv Hahaha you need to research more on that
@KrauseHome (35514)
It is interesting sometimes how something from one area is cheaper than something closer to you. Was the Bacon as good?
It was very nice bacon but has come from the other side of the world. I can't work out how it can be so much cheaper.
• Eugene, Oregon
Never saw that photo before! Funny! What a strange difference in price. I wonder why Australian bacon is so high? I stopped eating bacon about three or four years ago.
It just seems crazy to me. We are quite capable of growing really nice bacon and maybe our farmers wouldn't all be going out of business if this discrepancy was redressed.
We have a lot of Danish bacon, but I haven't noticed if it's any cheaper.
I know Denmark has long been renowned for nice bacon.
@Freelanzer (9497)
Canadian bacon means different things to those in Canada and the UK and those outside Canada. Does the bacon he bought look like regular bacon? What we refer to here as Canadian bacon looks more like sliced ham and it is round so it is distinctively Canadian bacon. But bacon exported is processed similarly to the conventional bacon and looks like it (strips) and is also referred to by as Canadian bacon by other countries. I guess which ever way you "slice" it is "Canadian" bacon when it comes from Canada.
This is regular bacon as in rashes but as it comes from Canada we call it Canadian. It's interesting that Canadian bacon means something different in Canada.
@HazySue (23885)
I love that photo, it is perfect for your article. I haven't got a clue are to why the bacon is so much cheaper there. Let us know if you find out.
We must ask the butcher in the supermarket one day. Vince often has a chat with him.
@wolfgirl569 (12195)
• Marion, Ohio
That is a big difference in price. I would have bought the canadian bacon too.
It's pretty hard to argue against it when the difference is so much. We might have differently for just a dollar or two.
Only 2.2 pounds and $25? I guess that's Aussie dollars so I don't know the exchange rate with US. That's seems high.
It is very high! That's why we went with the Canadian bacon. Our Aussie dollar is somewhere around 72 US cents.
@xFiacre (5796)
@judyev what gets done to meat before it arrives on my plate doesn’t bear thinking about.
I wrote a response to this and it's disappeared. I think they pump water into quite a few of the roasts etc. And of course that's why the bacon sizzles so much when it's cooking.
@elanalove (659)
Yes canadian Bacon is cheaper,,,,and the picture is so nice...
You wouldn't think it would be cheaper than home-grown bacon.
• Preston, England
that is a great photo to use
It's a real classic isn't it? I'd love to know the story behind it.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv quite a dangerous moment too - a pig that big could be quite unpredictable
@arthurchappell They do make quite good pets - and they can't help their looks!
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
May be the Canadian Government heavily subsidizes the Bacon producing farmers!
It would seem like it wouldn't it? It's a shame our own farmers aren't being protected to the same extent.
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@JudyEv Aussie government does not give subsidies?
@ptrikha_2 (10913)
@JudyEv Yes extra tax in name of anti-dumping duty or anti-monopoly duty or countervailing tax or other N number of names.
@id_peace (7631)
Actually this is the first time i actually see it.
I try not to use the same photo too often.
@id_peace (7631)
That is true too and this is new to people who are new lol
@id_peace I don't worry too much about putting up a photo more than once for the reason you give - that lots of people won't have seen it.