Hey Dummy...

@moffittjc (46383)
Gainesville, Florida
On my way home from work, I decided to stop and grab some fast-food, as it was late, I was tired, and I didn't feel like cooking when I got home. When I placed my order in the drive-thru line, the manager told me that my order would take about 7-8 minutes, and then directed me to park in a space to the side of the restaurant to wait for my food to come out. I parked, and shut off my truck, and checked my social media sites on my smartphone while I waited. A few minutes later the manager brought out my food, I thanked her, and then went to leave...only to find out I had a dead battery. No problem I thought to myself, I'll just call AAA roadside assistance and have them come change out the battery in my truck. Upon placing the call to AAA, they informed me that it would be an hour before they could get to me. Not in a rush, I told them okay and then sat at an outdoor picnic table to eat my food. About 20 minutes later, the manager of the fast-food restaurant poked her head out of the drive-thru window and asked me if everything was okay. I told her I had a dead battery, and was waiting for AAA to come help me. She asked me why I didn't just buy a new battery, and I said I would once AAA got there to help me. She then said, "Hey dummy, look behind you." I turned and looked behind me, and sitting there right next door to the restaurant was an auto parts store. Stupid me, the whole time I was sitting there waiting, I never once looked over in that direction. I quickly called AAA back and cancelled my service call, then went into the auto parts store and bought a new battery. It took me all of 5 minutes to change out the battery, and I was on my way. I had to laugh at myself. How ironic that my truck battery went dead right next to an auto parts store, and I didn't even realize it!
@myklj999 (19993)
Danged auto transmissions and these new computerized things, used t' been you could just push start 'em when the battery was flat
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have a big jacked-up, honkin' redneck 4x4 truck, it wouldn't have been easy for me to push by myself.
@myklj999 (19993)
@moffittjc Always park on an incline
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@myklj999 I live in Florida...it's as flat as can be.
So glad it was a quick fix for you! =)
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
Me too! But my wallet wasn't too happy. It cost me $215 for a new battery. I just got down spending close to $1000 on tires, and another $200 on a coolant flush, so I wasn't too happy to spend even more money on the truck.
@moffittjc Ouch, I'm sorry.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies No worries, it's part of life. Besides, I found out today that my daughter's scholarship covered the entire cost of her college tuition, so I don't have to cough up any extra money to pay for her school this semester. That was such a relief.
That is hilarious! I don't think I'd like to be called a dummy, but she was right!
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have a sense of humor, so I can laugh at myself for being a dummy!
@moffittjc And I can laugh at you, too! To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed the auto parts store either.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN And I'm okay with you laughing at me!
At least you do not have one of those new cars with plenty of electronic gadget attached where you have to go to the service garage to change the battery.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I agree Anna. I've seen cars that have so many wires, cables, hoses, electronic gadgets and such that you can't even see the engine in the car, let alone fix something yourself. The same situation applies to changing the oil. Nowadays, you have to take half the engine apart just to get to your oil filter to change it.
@moffittjc You cannot even change a bulb without dismantling big part of the car. It is becoming ridiculous.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck They do that on purpose so that you have to take your car to a mechanic or to the automobile dealership to have them fix it. It's job security for them.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
Hahajh. I can just picture the face you made.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
Which face...the disgusted look when I realized there was an auto parts store less than 10 feet away from me, or the disgusted look I gave the restaurant manager when she called me a dummy? Okay, she smiled when she said it, and she did give me a refill on my drink before I left. But still, the nerve of that woman!
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@moffittjc dummy dummy dummy . Is it easier coming from me?
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns It would have been more palatable if you would have stuck your tongue out at me when you said that.
@Namelesss (1737)
• Thomasville, Georgia
Now that's funny! But AAA is still a great thing to have (you know, just in case you REALLY need them) LOL
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's funny, I've had AAA for over 20 years, and have probably used it about 2-3 times on myself. But I've probably used my membership about two dozen times to help other stranded motorists.
@Namelesss (1737)
• Thomasville, Georgia
@moffittjc That's pretty awesome. Perhaps helping others is the reason you haven't needed them yourself so much.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Namelesss I hope that is the case.
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That is funny. But you know sometimes I pass buildings dozens of times and don't actually notice what they are. So it happens. At least the waitress tried to help you out. it would have been even funnier if AAA got there and saw the Auto Parts store right behind you.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
It would have been funny if AAA offered to tow me to the nearest auto parts store, and then literally towed my truck five feet and said, "here you are!"
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@moffittjc I can see the puzzled look on his face right now, and the embarrassed look on yours when you turned around.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@RubyHawk Let's just be glad that it didn't happen, and I was saved from further embarrassment! haha
@flapiz (7013)
We’ll talk about blessing in disguise. You were able to eat your food while it’s warm and someone was able to point you in the right direction which is very much close to you. It all worked out well.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like when things work out well! haha Even when things don't work out well, I like to keep a positive, upbeat attitude about ti. I always look for the humor in things. Helps make this world a better place to live in.
@flapiz (7013)
@moffittjc I really like that mindset. It makes everything light. And even people will notice that in your disposition and personality. It is infectious in a good way.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@flapiz I figure if I'm going to infect people, it might as well be with my positivity and happiness! I surely don't want to infect people with germs and such! hahaha
@bluesa (15214)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
This is probably something I would do, so all I am going to say is that it is good the manager checked on you and then notified you about the auto parts store!
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm pretty clueless on a lot of things, so it was just another day in paradise for me! haha
@bluesa (15214)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc wonderful that it was just another day in paradise for you.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa I try to keep a positive disposition no matter what the circumstances are around me.
@kobesbuddy (57517)
• East Tawas, Michigan
You're a champ, Jeff! I hope you enjoyed your fast-food supper:)
@kobesbuddy (57517)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc To splurge about once a week, no harm will come to you!:)
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy My problem is, I splurge on fast-food more than once a week though!
@kobesbuddy (57517)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc I use to eat fast-food often. Then I developed a heart issue and high blood pressure. Now, I eat pizza once a week, that's all.
In the end you didn't have to wait for a hour. You were able to get a new battery and changed quickly. Glad you were not stranded.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks Michelle! How are you? I barely see you on here anymore. I'm afraid you are going to drop off the site and not come back anymore! I miss you!
@moffittjc You're welcome! I've been good! I took a little break (popped in here & there on myLot ) but not as much. My computer has been super slow and I bought a new one but going to use myLot on my old one still. myLot shows as a non secure site and I don't want to get any viruses or anything :) I miss you and everyone else too! Still lots to do for me... but I've been procrastinating! OH and we've started house hunting officially. But still have until August 2019 to finalize on a home.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I wish you the best of luck in your search for a house! Keep me updated on your progress. I love house hunting, and I'm excited for you to find the house of your dreams!
@velvet53 (17719)
• Palisade, Colorado
I bet you will learn to check your surroundings if something like this ever happens again. I will be laughing about this for quite awhile.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
You would think I would learn from this, but I'm willing to bet it would happen again. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to things going on around me.
@velvet53 (17719)
• Palisade, Colorado
@moffittjc I usually am also. Course I know when the parts stores are around the areas that I go too. But, I am more apt to call my son and tell him what is happening. I am glad you are easy going. I can't imagine someone calling another person dummy but I bet she made you chuckle a little on the inside.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@velvet53 Oh, I chuckled on the outside. I'm not afraid to laugh at a funny situation, even if I'm the funny situation! haha
I have never attempted to change a battery myself..I would have waited for AAA too. However, I might have gone ahead and bought one..and just had them put it in.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
One thing I learned that I wasn't aware of, the auto parts store had a little portable power kit that they plugged in somewhere under my steering column for me while I changed out the battery. When I asked the guy what that was, he told me it keeps power supplied to the internal computer in the truck so that everything doesn't reset to factory settings when I disconnect the battery to replace it. I never thought about the fact that there is a lot of things programmed into the onboard vehicle computer.
@moffittjc Oh well, that is interesting. Advance Auto will sometimes help with installing things too, but in general they steer away from that..as they don't want the liability. One time they did put in a air filter for me though.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@snowy22315 The guy that helped me out didn't even hesitate to offer to change out my battery for me. I think it helped that we both had the same make and model of truck.
I think women look more at the world around them. Than a man does.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was too busy shoveling food down my throat to notice the world around me....
@moffittjc That is how men are.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jstory07 Sometimes us men take a break from eating to look at the pretty girls walking by.
That was nice of the manager to check on you.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, that was pretty nice of her. She even gave me a free refill on my drink while I was waiting.
@moffittjc Sweet.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@toniganzon Yeah, sweet like you!
OMG I giggled my rear end off on this one ! Don't know what else to say . . .
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm glad I was able to amuse you at my expense! LOL
@moffittjc yes I am tickled pink too
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@enlightenedpsych2 It's a good thing I like the color pink! lol
@Lizzyib (758)
What a happy little irony. Dummy!
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
Lizzy, I can't believe you just called me a dummy! LOL
@Lizzyib (758)
@moffittjc I couldn't resist! Take it as a term of endearment, like pumpkin head....or stinky!
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Lizzyib Now you're telling me I have an oddly-shaped head and a body odor problem. You're really winning lots of friendship points here Lizzy! Just keep digging yourself further into a hole! haha
That is funny but it has to do with your eyeballs being glued to your phone, lol
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
It wasn't all about me being glued to my phone, some of it was because my eyes were glued to my food! haha
@moffittjc food and phone, a common combination, lol
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@BelleStarr That would probably explain why I'm always cleaning crumbs and stains off of my phone case! haha
@MarymargII (10706)
• Toronto, Ontario
ha well we don't always look all around us--- so don't worry! I wouldn't have a clue how to change a battery so would still be waiting. Plus isn't it cheaper to just get a boost and carry on? Think I'm the dummy======lol!
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
It depends on the condition of the battery. In my case, I had a 4-year old battery in my truck that had a 3-year lifespan, so I knew it needed to be changed out for a new one, rather than just recharged.
@MarymargII (10706)
• Toronto, Ontario
@moffittjc Ah I get it! Glad you got one then. Now you're good for another 4 years-- ;)
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MarymargII For the price I paid for the new battery, I better get 4 years out of it! Unfortunately, the extreme heat and humidity of Florida really kill the longevity of car batteries.
@moffittjc Maybe you were tired and did not realize that the auto parts store was there. That does not make you a dummy.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
Sure, I will go with that excuse. I was tired. Not a dummy! Or, maybe I was a tired dummy! haha
@moffittjc Don't call yourself a dummy.
@moffittjc (46383)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Hannihar You obviously have never met me! HAHA I can laugh at myself and call myself a dummy! I have a great sense of humor!