Has any child actually seen/heard this lullaby?

Walnut Creek, California
A couple of months ago, I posted a lullaby to YouTube that my dad used to sing to me in childhood. One of my preschool kids came in one day, singing it at the top of her lungs (and getting all the words wrong), so I decided to learn it and record it. The result is the link I'll attach. Many of you have probably heard this before. It's a classic lullaby that was popular during the "folk scare" of the 1950s and 1960s. If you have any small children or grandchildren in your life, could you be so kind as to play it for them? I want to know if it has the intended sedative qualities. I'll attach a photo of the girl who inspired this piece. She was always singing and dancing, and that got me to singing and dancing. We'd sing "The Hills are Alive..." and "I Am Sixteen Going on Seventeen..." together on the spur of the moment.This became one of "our" songs. If you add me to your "subscribed" list, you'll make my day.
"The Riddle Song" - A Traditional lullaby Colin H. Sacks - vocals, guitars, bass, mandolin Recorded by - Michael Stenberg Thanks to A.A. Milne, E.H. Shepard,...
I never heard it, but it is a nice lullaby.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm not sure how far back it goes, but I think it's been around for generations.
@TheHorse Surely in your country, we have our Italian Lullabies.
• Walnut Creek, California
@LadyDuck My hunch is that it has European (perhaps Irish?) roots. But I don't know.
@bagarad (12865)
• Paso Robles, California
I've heard it, and love it, but I was introduced to it as an adult. I think I first heard it in a movie.
• Walnut Creek, California
Hmm. I wonder what movie. I know that Joan Baez recorded way back when.
@bagarad (12865)
• Paso Robles, California
@TheHorse I can't remember. It's been years.
• Walnut Creek, California
@bagarad I probably wouldn't have thought about the song, much less recorded it, had my youngun not come in to the preschool singing it at the top of her lungs. She's so adorable.
Delightful song and I am subscribed. Thank you for making me smile.Lovely little girl in the photo.
• Walnut Creek, California
A smile is good! That little girl is a super smartie. I adore her.
• Walnut Creek, California
And thank you for subscribing!
@debjani1 (2947)
Yes lovely little girl.
@mommaj (22894)
That was really beautiful. I would have never thought it to be a lullaby by the music or words until the very end.
• Walnut Creek, California
Thank you! It's kind of a riddle. But because it has an "answer" (that most kids won't get anyway), I suppose it can soothe. I just did it to honor my young friend.
@mommaj (22894)
@TheHorse Lol My mind was actually working when I heard it, so I was able to figure out the answers before it "answered" the questions. I must be having a good day... LOL It reminded me of the ballads or "folk songs" from the 60s or 70s.
• Walnut Creek, California
@mommaj Yep, it was a part of the "folk scare" of the 1960s.
@TheHorse I started to listen to the song again and remember it. I really like that song.
• Walnut Creek, California
It's a fun one. I had forgotten about it until my young friend came into school singing it that day.
@TheHorse I remember listening to it when you put it on a post. It is a fun one and I liked listening to your voice too.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Hannihar I wonder if any kids have actually fallen asleep listening to it.
@BarBaraPrz (21068)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Very nice rendition. I've heard this song before, but never heard it called a lullaby.
• Walnut Creek, California
Do you remember where/when you first heard it?
@BarBaraPrz (21068)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse In the 60s, I suppose, during the folk thing.
• Walnut Creek, California
@BarBaraPrz I'm pretty sure my dad used to sing it to me. He grew up during the "folk scare" of the 1950s.
@dya80dya (6474)
I have never heard of it. I like it.
• Walnut Creek, California
I am glad you like it! I will do more research on its origins. Do you have any 3-year-olds you can play it for?
@debjani1 (2947)
Okay
@1creekgirl (12519)
I heard the song many years ago, but didn't realize it was a lullaby.