A Seal Folllowed Us Today!

Photo taken by author; all rights reserved.
Laguna Woods, California
This morning, while walking at the beach with my friend, a seal was swimming just off-shore, moving in the same direction we were. I did not get a good photo, because it kept diving every time I pulled out my camera. However, it was fun to see this beautiful creature moving along at the same pace we were. It is not unusual to see dolphins off-shore from Laguna Beach. I also saw a sea lion once, and an otter another time. Occasionally we see star fish. It was delightful to see a seal in Laguna Beach, because that was the first time, although I have seen them off the coast of La Jolla, Rancho Palos Verdes, and in other places along the California coast! The photo above is one I took of a seal on the beach in Hawaii.
@oahuwriter (3226)
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
Here in Hawaii on Oahu, there have been sightings and reported on the news. I've never seen any sea lions in person. Lucky you to see one in real time!
• Laguna Woods, California
The picture I took above was when we were in Kauai, Hawaii. The people at the Four Seasons hotel went out and put caution tape around it so people did not get too close and disturb it. The seal I saw here in Laguna the other day did not come up on the beach, so I did not get a good picture of it.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
@DeborahDiane I see. Seals are an endangered species and is protected very well. As with any wild animal when they have their babies in tow they are very protective of them.
• Laguna Woods, California
@oahuwriter - Yes, seals are very protective. Like any wild animal, you have to be careful about approaching them, but they usually do not attack.
@maximax8 (28559)
That must have been a very enjoyable experience. Seals can be very playful and move quite fast. I viewed seals on a beach on Kangaroo Island in Australia. I saw dolphins at Money Mia in Australia years after that. In New Zealand I was sand boarding and I saw a black speck in the sea. Was it a shark, no it was a fairy penguin.
• Laguna Woods, California
@maximax8 - Wow! You have seen some fun sea life, too. I have never seen a penguin, but I think that would be exciting!
@wolfgirl569 (8688)
• Marion, Ohio
That would be fun to see.
• Laguna Woods, California
@wolfgirl569 - It was exciting to see the seal moving along the beach beside us!
@mnglsp (1554)
That is fun! I always wanted to play with a seal. I every cartoon movies that I watch seals' role is always a friendly character.
• Laguna Woods, California
@mnglsp - I think they generally leave people alone, although I have heard of them biting, like a dog, when people get too close and they feel harassed.
@caopaopao (12377)
That sounds great. I can only see these things at the aquarium.
• Laguna Woods, California
@caopaopao - I love to go to aquariums, too. It is so wonderful to see so many exotic types of fish and sea mammals.
@bagarad (12674)
• Paso Robles, California
I love your photo. I've never seen seals along the coast except off the Coast Guard wharf in Monterey. I could watch them for hours. We do see elephant seals north of Cambria when they breed, but I'd rather watch the harbor seals. Watch long enough and you can see their distinct personalities.
• Laguna Woods, California
@bagarad - Yes, the harbor seals are pretty common here. We were in Rancho Palos Verdes, just North of Long Beach, recently, and there was a harbor seal happily sunning himself on a rock. There is a bay in San Diego which has become overrun with seals. I haven't been there in a while, but they report on it on the news once in a while.
@bagarad (12674)
• Paso Robles, California
@DeborahDiane I wish we had more hanging around our NorthCentral Coast
• Laguna Woods, California
@bagarad - There used to be a lot of them up there! I remember when we were young my husband and I used to camp all up and down the California coast, and our dog would bark when he heard the seals barking. I think he thought they were dogs in the distance! LOL
@Courage7 (12348)
Sweet, I love the seals, used to see them on the North Shore east coast. I bet they are having a time of it in the hurricanes all over too today.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Courage7 - When you get close to one, you realize how big they are! They seem to leave people alone, though.
@Courage7 (12348)
@DeborahDiane They are lovely creatures. Yes they are quite big.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Courage7 - Yes, they are lovely, and quite graceful in the water.
@Janet357 (1868)
Aww he looks very cute and kind. Is he friendly too? I have never seen a seal in my whole life. But it melts my heart every time i see one on tv.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Janet357 - They are friendly if they do not feel threatened. They are not as friendly as dolphins, however.
@Janet357 (1868)
@DeborahDiane aww i love to touch their fat bellies:)
• Laguna Woods, California
@Janet357 - That is amazing!
This seal is adorable and wanted to play with you.Don't know if seals are as friendly as the dolphins.
• Laguna Woods, California
No, I don't think seals are as friendly as dolphins. They sometimes bite people when they feel threatened, although usually they leave us alone.
@DeborahDiane Wow ! they may bite people.Herhaps this is why they are called seals-the leopards living in sea as we call them in Chinese.
• Laguna Woods, California
@changjiangzhibin89 - Leopards Living in the Sea ... great name for them!
@ilocosboy (35980)
Oh wow that would be some adventure moment. This morning we were chased by dogs. Its good we're riding a tricycle so we are secured from them.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ilocosboy - Oh, wow! That must have been a little scary to be chased by dogs. They can be dangerous if they are not friendly!
@ilocosboy (35980)
My buddy need to speed up the tricycle so the dogs can follow us.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ilocosboy - Great idea!
Great shot, it looks like it was smiling at ya.
• Laguna Woods, California
@rebelann - I think that seal in the picture was just happily sunning himself, but maybe he was smiling for the camera! LOL
Hey, he was smilin at you @DeborahDiane stranger things have happened
• Laguna Woods, California
@august18 (3896)
• Tunisia
We only have one seal in my country and it's in the zoo.
• Laguna Woods, California
@august18 - Awww ... your seal needs a playmate! LOL
@august18 (3896)
• Tunisia
18h
@DeborahDiane Hehehe. Sure he does.
@anya12adwi (2137)
• Bhubaneshwar, India
So, the seal might have found you attractive!!
• Laguna Woods, California
@anya12adwi - Ha ha! Maybe you are right!
• Bhubaneshwar, India
@DeborahDiane It didn't follow any other person.. So, I am right.. Do meet him again, his heart won't miss you
@DeborahDiane That is cool.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - We were very excited by it.
@DeborahDiane That is nice.
Oh wow that's pretty cool and, thanks for sharing.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TRBRocks420 - It was exciting!
@Rashnag (3431)
• Thane, India
Good to know. Thanks for sharing dear
• Laguna Woods, California
@Rashnag - You are welcome!
That must have been special!
• Laguna Woods, California
@allen0187 - It was very exciting!
That has to be fun to have seen that seal.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - It really was fun, and it surprised us, too!
@Icydoll (23596)
That's funny .I have never seen a seal in real.
I like seals, the are funny creatures, I remember we saw one in the river Thames in London.