I Never Was a Master of the Paper Airplane

Paper airplanes, or paper gliders, were made from parchment paper starting around 500 BCE in China and in Japan. Origami, paper folding, was all the rage back then, so some very good paper airplanes and paper gliders were made by some very skilled hands. Leonardo Da Vinci made quite a few paper gliders, as did the Wright Brothers, for knowledge-of-flight purposes. Even the co-founder of the Lockheed Corporation made paper airplanes to aid in creating new and better aircraft. When I was in school, paper airplanes would sale across the classroom on occasion. It was always some guy who launched a paper airplane in class, much to the dismay of the classroom teacher. It seems that the guys were the masters of paper-airplane making and flying. I tried making a paper airplane or two, but my attempts produced paper airplanes that usually did a nosedive when launched. Photo: By Ushakaron [CC0], from Wikimedia Commons
Origami Paper Airplane By: Koen Designer: Unknown Level: Very Easy Paper: A4 Printer Paper My Blog: http://tinyurl.com/nu93k7o Twitter: https://twitter.com/T...
• Uzbekistan
I've always been good at working with paper. My paper airplanes always flew although I'm not a boy! :-)
You were a master of those paper airplanes!
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 Or a mistress? :-)
@MALUSE Yes, a mistress of those paper airplanes!
I never tried a paper plane. I don't ever remember boys in my school making them. Was the paper plane the wright brothers made silmilar the plane they made to fly?
I think the Wright brothers used many designs they tested in their very own wind tunnel. Not sure which one was the inspiration for their first flight.
@Corbin5 That it amazing how the Wright Brothers did that. Can you imagine what the world would be like without planes? i wonder if other great inventors dod things that seem so simple like the paper airplane and change history?
@Marty1 I am sure many inventions came from something so very simple. All the experimenting with all kinds of things really had to be worthwhile.
I could never get the folds right. I feel your pain. I would get the first part of it..and then forget how the rest of it was supposed to be folded.
Me too!! I remember my brother sometimes adding paperclips to his paper airplanes for weight or something like that.
@1hopefulman (32574)
I made quite a few planes when I was young and learned how to have fun with them.
I remember it was the boys who were more interested in the paper-airplane making. My sister and I played with paper dolls.
@1hopefulman (32574)
@Corbin5 Did you also throw the paper dolls at people to annoy them?
@1hopefulman Nope, those paper dolls didn't have a lot of lift.
There was always a paper airplane or two that would make it across the classroom each year while I was in school too. And as soon as the first one landed, there would be a new rule added to the class code of ethics, and it usually surrounded the fact that we were in a classroom which was a no-fly zone. I could never make one to take flight without crashing awfully quickly.
Mine were the quick-crash kind too. When I taught, I had a few paper airplanes launched by someone in class every now and then. I was not happy about that, but should have asked the maker to show me how to create a good paper airplane.
I like to work with paper and my planes were pretty good, better than those of my brother.
It is nice when a sister has skills that are better than her brother's skills.
@Corbin5 It was a big satisfaction to beat my brother.
@Courage7 (16553)
I loved to make these planes Deborah and as far as I can recall I made them very well and made them for my younger siblings too
You had skills in the paper-airplane department!!
@Courage7 (16553)
@Corbin5 My Dad RIP was the best though haha How did you learn to make them?
@Courage7 My brother showed me how to make them, but I never was as precise as he was in making them.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
Your paper airplane sounds like mine. I get the prize for the shortest flight.
My flights were really short too!
@Morleyhunt (21017)
@Athinker (2582)
• Jaipur, India
Actually I am expert in mAking paper airplane
I am so proud that you have reached that expert status!!! I need to practice.
@Athinker (2582)
• Jaipur, India
@Corbin5 yes I am doing this since childhood
I made quite a few out of construction and loose leaf paper.
My brother used to make them for us which is a good thing because my sister and I never caught on to making ones that would fly.
@Corbin5 oh, that was good that you had them. I loved coloring them.
made this many times in class room.Yes I got scolded.
I had a feeling you would be one of those boys who did that. I am glad the teacher scolded you for doing that. You should have been focusing on your lessons.
@myklj999 (18374)
I can make a few different styles, the ones that fly arrow-straight and some that loop and dip and dive all over.
You have skills in the paper-airplane department!
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I own up to being that naughty boy in your class!
I had a feeling you would have been one of those boys who decided to launch a paper airplane in class. You should have been paying attention to your lessons.
@Icydoll (24724)
You are bringing those old wonderful memories back..I used to do a lot paper planes . it was very fun.
I am so glad you had fun with those paper airplanes.
@ridingbet (59621)
sometimes paper planes do make nose dives so we had our own style of ''lifting the planes up when we let them glide with the wind''. we exhale some air from our mouths fronting the paper plane's 'nose', and then let them fly high'.
Well, thank you for that handy tip. I am going to try to make one. If I follow the directions for making one, perhaps it will fly.
@ridingbet (59621)
@Corbin5 hahahah! that was our style when we were still kids. but i don't know if it was effective. also, we can add another fold at the wings to have more 'altitude' flying.
@ridingbet Those paper airplanes sure can get complicated!
@id_peace (7633)
I don’t have talent to build a paper plane that can fly very far
I am going to try and make one. I will follow the directions I find online and maybe I will make one that actually flies.
@id_peace (7633)
Do let us know the distance it can fly
@id_peace Will do. I will challenge my husband in a flying contest. Hope my paper airplane wins.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I never had much success with paper airplanes either! I am responsible for many a paper airplane crash @Corbin5 , it was safer to leave it to those who could do it justice.
Yes, I had a lot of crashes too. My brother would make them for my sister and me, and that was fun because his would fly.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 I am glad your brother made them for you and your sister
@bluesa He teased us a lot, but he was and still is a good big brother.
@louievill (19723)
I am quite good at it and could do several designs, my standard is just slightly different from the one in the video.
Oh, you must have had a lot of fun with all those designs. I only tried one design and it did not fly well at all.
@louievill (19723)
@Corbin5 if it nose dives the head is heavy and lacks lift so raise the wings higher. I taught the art to my children.
@louievill Thank you for that tip! I am going to try to make a paper airplane. It just may fly.
@mesbakh (2681)
i am good at it and i used to sue all paper
So glad you make paper airplanes that do really well!
@mesbakh (2681)
@Corbin5 thank you buddy
• Anchorage, Alaska
i hav'nt been all that great at making paper airplanes. when i tried to make them they didn't always fly very far.
I will give making a paper airplane another try soon. I will follow the directions on how to make one this time.
• Anchorage, Alaska
@Corbin5 cool. sounds like another good crafts project to work on.