If you breathe in I think it will fit

Bunbury, Australia
The photo is of the top of our car with the caravan on behind. It’s a bit of strange angle but I wanted to show you how little room there is each side of the caravan when it is backed into the shed. We won’t be needing it till November so we’ve put it in the shed. We’ve had it in the shed once before so we know it will fit but isn’t it rather a tight squeeze? Apart from the narrow opening, it is difficult to line the caravan up at right angles to the doorway so it gets quite tricky. I stand at the back and watch the left-hand side. If the caravan is getting too close (ie less than four inches from the door-frame, I have to yell ‘whoa’ very loudly. The camera in the car beeps incessantly because it thinks there is something much too close to the car to be safe and this, combined with Vince’s deafness, makes a very loud yell essential. I’d be surprised if the neighbours didn’t hear me although they’re half a kilometre away. But it took half as long as last time so we must be improving and there wasn’t one cross word between us so all is good with our world.
@wolfgirl569 (13527)
• Marion, Ohio
No cross words is the great thing. Hubby and I have that problem a lot when I am directing him.
After 47 years I guess we've learnt to hold our tongues.
@wolfgirl569 (13527)
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv I try, but it is impossible sometimes.
@wolfgirl569 I know the feeling and as I said it's taken 47 years and we still don't always achieve harmony when we're pressured with something.
I think you are gaining skills putting the caravan in the shed, and you did it cheerfully. Doesn't get much better than that.
Thanks. The first time was pretty stressful as we didn't think it would fit at all for a while but it was much easier this time.
@Morleyhunt (19264)
The caravan should be clean once it's in the shed...the dust will have been brushed off as it passed through the narrow doorway.
We should put brushes on the frame and kill two birds with one stone.
I can imagine the scene. My husband asked to remove the "beep" in the car, everything is narrow and too close here in Switzerland, it beeped all the time.
Oh, I can understand. That would be awful. An occasional beep is annoying but when it is incessant it can get very stressful.
@JudyEv To reach the main road from our garage, we have to go through our pretty narrow private road, that is between two hedges. The car beeped all the time and it was impossible to know if there was an obstacle or if it beeped because "something was too close".
@moffittjc (47309)
• Gainesville, Florida
That is definitely a tight squeeze! You should put an opening on the back side of the shed so that you can just drive straight in to the shed instead of having to back the caravan in.
Good idea but it's not possible in this case. We're working on one day taking out the centre upright and reinforcing the gap in another way but we're getting better at this so perhaps we won't bother.
I remember well when we had our caravan, m husband was actually quite good at backing it up since he is used to go backing up with his boat.
I think Vince loves backing and regarded this as a challenge to his skills. Every time we go anywhere we always seem to need to back and forth a bit at some stage.
@Kasjnak (2339)
Huh, a tight fit indeed. It's always tricky when you try to squeeze a caravan through such a small entry. I'm not an expert driver so I would need some assistance for something like that .
Vince is very good at backing but he did need a second person to help.
That really is a tight squeeze. Holy mackerel!
We always feel pretty good - and a bit relieved - when we actually get it in.
@myklj999 (20740)
Actually, stop to think about this: If you breathe in, your chest cavity expands, taking up more area. Wouldn't you actually need to exhale to get something that was a tight fit to work better?
I know what you're saying but I can tell you I was holding MY breath. My stock statement in situations like this is 'shut your eyes and go fast'.
@DWDavis (15672)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
That is one tight fit. We have been thinking about getting a shelter built, just a roof type, for our new camper when we get it.
That would be much cheaper than an enclosed shed. For us, the shed was already there and luckily high enough as well.
@DWDavis (15672)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JudyEv Because of where the spot we plan to park it is, the shelter may have to be built as an extension off of the garage.
@DWDavis We have an extension off the big shed too and parked MOST of the caravan under that once but it wasn't very satisfactory. It wasn't quite high enough. This is a tight fit but at least it DOES fit.
@Mavic123456 (16191)
• Thailand
Nice job for your man. It's okay to yell a bit loudly. He did it anyway.
It was important that if I yelled he could hear me so yell I did!
@Mavic123456 (16191)
• Thailand
@JudyEv yes if just yelling the instructions. Not anger yell
@Mavic123456 No anger this time. Just instructions.
I can relate to seeing items parked in tight spaces. Growing up I remember my Dad having garages built, but as soon as he'd start moving equipment in, it was always interesting because he usually had bought newer equipment, which meant larger in size. I remember he had one large workshop/implement shed built for his new combine. When he finally went to park the new combine for the first time at the end of the harvest season, he found that the ramp leading up to the far door hadn't been packed down enough (that was his excuse) and he had to let air out of the tires to get the combine into the garage. It had nothing to do with the gravel being too large a stone on the incline into the garage, it had everything to do with the door not having enough clearance for that monster of a machine. The next time he went to upgrade that, he had a company in to take down the second and third levels of the old barn, and convert it into a huge garage. Mission accomplished!
Some of the farm machines certainly are monsters. It's a bit like building highways. They are no sooner built than traffic increases and the highways can't cope.
@JudyEv They encounter that with the farm equipment. They have to be ready to buy accessories to tow the large wide headers that take up 2 lanes of the roadways. When my Dad was alive he figured out how to make a type of towing device for a corn or wheat header for his combine. He loved to weld things from scratch without a pattern, and once he had one, he had a lot of other farmers asking him where he got it and how much he spent on it.
@Juliaacv Some farmers can make just about anything they need. They must save themselves a lot of money by being able to come up with solutions to their problems.
@kepweng (19228)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
is that a Container?? and a Truck trying to Go inside?
It's our caravan. It looks huge doesn't it? Here is a photo of it.
@kepweng (19228)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
@JudyEv wow its like a mini Bus?? its have a C.R?
@kepweng You tow it with a car. I don't know what a C.R is, sorry.
@DeborahDiane (24778)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Wow! Vince is an excellent driver to be able to do that! I'm afraid I would knock the shed down!
It took us ages the first time but now we know it will fit, it seems a bit easier. Vince regards this type of exercise as a challenge. I think he enjoys it. Me - not so much.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - The two of you sound like my husband and me. He would think of it as a challenge; I would be biting my nails the whole time!
@DeborahDiane You've got it exactly right!
I sure couldn't/wouldn't be the driver to get it in that shed - no way - my goodness that is really tight! I'd just put a cover on the entire thing and leave it out .
I know what you're saying but it's safely away now so all is good.
@JudyEv You guys made it work - that's lots of patience and driving talent there!
@much2say Thanks.
@JustBhem (45994)
• Davao, Philippines
For sure your husband is having a hard time making it fit there.
It wasn't the easiest thing we've ever done.
@JustBhem (45994)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv And what happens? Is it a success fitting the van there?
@JustBhem Yes, it is a success. It is out of the weather and locked away so it's all good.
@JudyEv That is a very tight squeeze. I can see why it is hard to get the caravan in the shed.
It is actually getting a little bit easier each time.
@JudyEv That is good then.
@dgobucks226 (14710)
That is a tight squeeze. You could help direct drivers in the U.S. who find squeezing into parking spaces a challenge photo- gotfunnypictures.com
I doubt even Vince could do that!
@dgobucks226 (14710)
That is a tight squeeze. I'm glad you're getting the hang of getting it in the shed and the words were fewer.
It gets easier each time thank goodness. The first time we really doubted we could do it. It has to go right to the back of the shed as well.
@JudyEv That's usually the case. The more you do it the easier it gets.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a tight fit! Hats off to Vince for the driving. Even with someone watching that would be iffy.
Not far out from the shed is a bit of a bank and you need to keep to the one side or the step digs into the earth so that makes it all a bit more difficult. But Vince is very good at backing. I think he is quite proud of his prowess really as we never seem to pull up anywhere except that we have to do a bit of backing.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv I would be pleased with skill like that too.