We Had a Feeling

We love our son's dog, Ellie very very much. She really is a part of our family. She has not been feeling well since their return from Poland in August. We were there on the weekend and our daughter-in-law confided in me that when she is brushing her neck area she will feel Ellie gagging. And she has noticed this happen at other times as well. I told her that both my husband and I insist that she go in to be examined for this. I think that our son might be in a bit of denial over it. He just facetimed with us, to tell us that he is off of work today. Late yesterday they had to rush Ellie into the animal hospital. She remains there today. Initially they thought that she had bloat, which is an inverted stomach. But the x-rays and examination doesn't show that. Her colon has a lot of gas in it, and some undigested food in the stomach which won't break down. She's staying at least another 24 hours. They have her on IV and are monitoring her. She isn't in as much pain today as she was, but still isn't herself. Our daughter-in-law is planning on working from home tomorrow, which is what our son does on a regular basis. He says its awfully quiet without Ellie in the house today, he misses her so. They are expecting that either she will pass the bit in her stomach one way or another or they will be considering surgery. My husband has offered to take the day off from work and be there with our son when he gets the diagnosis. We're so afraid that it may be fatal. ~Photo is mine of a young Miss Ellie
@Morleyhunt (20724)
It's been just over a year since our beloved Fifi crossed the rainbow bridge with our assistance. I would not have inflicted and more discomfort on her.
I remember that. Its so hard, and hearing of another dog ill brings back so many memories and feelings.
@Morleyhunt (20724)
I wonder if you were updated again yet.
Yes, we were just a little while ago. Our son told us that he got a good report that she had something to eat a little while ago. If the x-rays show her tummy clear, that she digested this food and what was on her stomach earlier today, then they will discharge her and chalk it up to bad constipation and gas. But his wife told me that he's so distraught over her being sick-and I can understand, that is HIS sidekick and dog. He works from home, so they are seldom apart. Thanks so much for asking Sharon.
@Juliaacv I am sure of it as well. I know kay would lose control losing her 5 cats. I am sure you will sleep better as well. Thank you for the update.
@sharon6345 Thanks Sharon. I wish that I was sleeping well, but I have a tummy issue which started on Monday and woke me up. So I am up and hoping that the severe nausea passes soon.
Poor Ellie, I hope is not life threatening. Did Ellie stay at a dog pension when your son was in Poland? The dog of my niece got sick while she was vacationing and left her dog at an animal pension.
They boarded her at a daytime doggie day care. She isn't licensed for over night care, so she spent her evenings and nights at Klaudia's mother's place. Which was nice, because she is a divorced lady and lives alone and Ellie was good company. I just got a text from our son saying the news is all good and she will be released this afternoon. He didn't include any other details, but he sounded relieved. She's only 3 years old this month, they will need to make special accomodations for her diet the rest of her life I would imagine.
@Juliaacv I am so glad that she feels better, she is a young dog.
@LadyDuck Oh thank you. We're thrilled as well. I just hope that if she has a condition that it is manageable because they travel a lot and she is in the care of others when they go away.
@CarolDM (2161)
My heart is with you all, our pets are like a child. I know how it feels. Hoping for a good outcome.
Thank you Carol, she is like their baby. He calls her that all of the time. And just like a child, she is the reason they own an SUV, and have a fenced in backyard. I pray for good news in the morning.
@CarolDM (2161)
@Juliaacv I hope so as well. Sending good thoughts.
@CarolDM (2161)
@CarolDM Just checking for any updates
That is so, so sad. You are well aware that I'm nearly as besotted with Ellie as you are. I am hoping and praying she will be okay.
Thank you Judy. I did get a text from our son late on Monday. He said that they got a good report from the animal hospital, she did finally take something to eat. They will x-ray her on Tuesday to see if the undigested food has progressed any out of her stomach. If it has she will be discharged and they will have to put her on a very strict diet, and this will be chalked up to severe constipation and gas, otherwise they will need to authorize surgery. Our son is so distraught. He works from home, so he and Ellie are almost always together. He is heart-broken to say the very least. Its hard to see him go thru this.
@Juliaacv I hope their diagnosis is correct and that whatever it is/was can be controlled by diet.
@JudyEv We're waiting for our daughter-in-law to call us. She is in town having her SUV serviced and will need a ride back home from us. I'm going to make up some chicken broth and rice and show our son that all he needs to do is give her some every other day or so to keep her regular and not so gassey.
Prayers of healing coming Ellie's way. It is good that bloat was not the cause of Ellie's suffering due to bloat being so incredibly serious. I do hope the vet can heal sweet Ellie so that she can come home soon.
Thank you Deb. It hurt my husband and I so much to hear and see our son break down on the phone. He loves that dog. The dog that he grew up with had to be put down towards the end of our son's second year of university. He came home to say his goodbye, but he rushed back to the city to write his finals, and I wonder if he really ever got to grieve her passing. He really is taking Ellie's illness hard. Of course he works from home, and 2 months after getting that job, he found and we bought Ellie for him.
@Corbin5 Thank you. She was discharged this afternoon. But that son of mine hasn't texted or called me to tell me what the diagnosis was. I'm sure that he's giving her some extra loving. Our son's dog, Nayla, passed while he was in university. She had a parasite and they wouldn't allow us to bring her body home to bury, they incinerated it and advised us to dispose of all of her bedding and personal effects.
@Juliaacv Oh, I hope your son contacts you soon regarding Ellie. So sorry about what happened to Nayla.
Poor girl. And all of you . I hope she wil be okay.
Thank you. We are all wrecks over her being sick. She's still in the hospital with an IV, but the good news is that she had something to eat. Hopefully the x-rays will show that she digests it. That's the issue.
@Juliaacv I hope she has been able to and can go home soon, if she isn't there already.
@Courtlynn She was discharged on Tuesday afternoon. I facetimed with Ellie and our son last evening, their vet bill was north of 2,000. Its 500 per night, x-rays are apparently very expensive.
Prayers for Ellie she is beautiful and, looks smart.
Thank you TR. She's beautiful to us, I'm glad that you recognized that. She is a certified therapy dog, and does wonders with anxious people in the group home that they take her to for pet therapy. They are minors under the age of 18, and she really helps some of them. Our son texted me a while ago, they did get a good report just recently from the vet. She had not had anything to eat, but finally she ate something. They are keeping her over night, and she still has the IV, but maybe if she has a clear x-ray tomorrow, they will discharge her and chalk it up to terrible constipation and gas.
@Juliaacv Glad she ate something that's a good sign.
@TRBRocks420 Hopefully she can digest it, the x-rays will reveal that in the morning. Our son took today off from work, and I would imagine that he'll do the same tomorrow. He is so distraught with sadness over her illness.
@Juliaacv Poor Ellie. I am so so sorry for what Ellie and you are going through. I hope they find out what is wrong and she will be home real soon.
Thank you Hanni, she did suffer, but she is back home again and is doing much better.
@Juliaacv I am so glad she is back home and doing better. How are you doing? I am sure it was hard for you.
@Hannihar We have checked in on her every chance that we can get. She's a lot better, I've been spoiling her with new toys. Later on this week she will go to stay at her other Gramma's house so that she can go to doggie day care during the work days as our son and his wife will be travelling for a bit again. She loves it at doggie day care.
Poor sweet Ellie, I hope they will be able to fix the problem so she can get back to being her normal sweet self ..... my heart goes out to all of you, I know how hard it can be when our furbabies become ill.
Thank you so much. It was hard to see our son break down while he facetimed with us. We know all too well how he feels, we've been down this road once before, and it was awful.
@Juliaacv I know too, they're family
@andrewijaa (2848)
• Malang, Indonesia
you must be optimistic and believe that all that will be fine and nothing will happen
I know, but that initial call was a confirmation of what I have been wondering for a while now. And it brings back a lot of memories from when our dog was sick.
• Malang, Indonesia
@Juliaacv yes maybe you think
I sure hate to hear that, I know how it is. Sure hope Ellie will be ok.
Thank you so much. She was finally discharged this afternoon from the hospital. I haven't heard from our son as to what they issue really was found to be, but I'm sure that he's loving her up now that she's back home again. And I can't say as though I really blame him, yesterday he feared that whatever she had was going to be fatal.
I am saying a prayer for Elle, I know how it feels to have a sick dog and the worry it causes. Sending a hugs
Oh thank you so much Iz. I will pass this on to our daughter-in-law. Our son is beside himself in so much emotional pain. He was finishing up his second year of university when the dog that he grew up with had to be put down. I don't know if he really grieved her loss, it might be catching up with him now, 9 years later. I just sent Klaudia hugs, and she said thank you for your kindness and support.
well the best of the luck there
Oh thank you Alfredo, I cannot stop crying. Her not feeling well like this reminds me so much of our beloved Nayla, our dog who we had to have put down 9 years ago.
@frenki (896)
• Serbia
Oh so sorry to hear this. I really hope she will be okey :/
Thank you Frenki, we hope so too, but my husband has told our son that he'll take the day off from work to be with him when he gets the news at the animal hospital as he fears it may be the worst.
@Dena91 (4629)
Sorry to hear this. Our pets become part of our families and it is hard to see them suffer.
She's been happy the last few times we've seen her, just really low on energy and always has an upset tummy. And I cannot stop crying.