The Old Days...

Back when there were no cars, no electricity, no phones, nothing. I don't think I would be able to make it back then, at least not after living in the present. Perhaps if I were born back then if wouldn't be so bad. However, I would never wish to go back in time and live like that. I personally think it would be boring and miserable. We just had hurricane Florence hit us and we were without power for about 5 days. Those were a miserable 5 days. No internet, no TV, no air conditioning, no way to keep food cold and fresh. I just can't see myself living that way permanently like in the old days.
@myklj999 (20973)
I couldn't do without my turntable. But yeah...we tend to take modern convenience for granted until suddenly we don't have it. I don't think most of us would have made good pioneers.
Yea the whole time the power was out I saying to myself if the power would just turn back on I promise I won't say I am bored anymore.
@kamzbd (484)
I think old is gold, I wish if I can go back to old days.
@xander6464 (6024)
• Wapello, Iowa
One thing about the past is that they had ways of dealing with things and that infrastructure is long gone so power outages are so hard on us. Just one example is ice boxes. In the city, you could get ice delivered to your house and that's how you kept food fresh. If you lived on a farm, you had a spring house. So, depending on far back you went in time, it wouldn't be quite as bad as you think it would be. Medicine and medical procedures are an entirely different matter, though. I would not want to get any kind of serious illness in the past. Not even just 50 years ago.
There won't be cures or treatments that they have today, so you could easily get sick and die.
• Wapello, Iowa
@AngelizaQT Very easily. Many things that we see as no big deal were very deadly. That's why whenever I write a time travel story, I always have the time traveling characters take some basic medications with them. Sometimes I even have them get some basic medical training before they go. Nothing fancy but things like how to properly inject antibiotics and how to make a cast.
@xander6464 Interesting. What time travel movies have you seen?
@BabeSays (5625)
• Mauritius
Oh I would love to go live back in the old days. It was so much cooler. People use to connect more with each others. Mothers would give their kids importance over a smartphone. Kids would play out instead of scaring at a screen. Telling tales at night for fun since there will be no electricity. The list is long. But I would not want the present without electricity. But I wouldn't mind traveling back to the past and live there. Live was so much simple and we had less stress.
I do agree it would be nice to spend more quality time with our family and friends. But don't you think that would be a really hard transition to make?
@BabeSays (5625)
• Mauritius
@AngelizaQT Nope I have lived without internet for months when my hubby didn't work. And for electricity I grew up having no electricity so it's not really a problem. Well I think for sure just the electricity pat is going to be the hardest.
@BabeSays Oh wow, see I have always had electricity. The power outage I had really made me appreciate it more now.
@ilocosboy (40436)
Maybe because we already taste the luxury of living these days. I may return back on that era but would request to return back after 3 days.
Yea that would be all I could take as well, just 3 days.
@ilocosboy (40436)
Then our book will come out It would be nice to experience living the old ways.
@ilocosboy Haha, of course we would have to write a book. Nothing else to do.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
But people did - and you would not be alive today if that had not been the case! My wife and I go camping sometimes - no Internet, TV or air conditioning (which is not something we have in our house anyway - we just open a window!). OK - it's not permanent, but it is a welcome change from the pressures of normal daily life. Would we do it permanently? In winter for example? Probably not!
I like camping, I just can't see myself going without things for a long period of time like it was back then.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
@AngelizaQT I know a lot of people say they could not manage without their smartphone. I do not own a mobile phone of any description and never have done - to be honest, I do not feel deprived in the slightest! Go back a few years and people would have said the same about many of the "mod cons" that most of us take for granted today.
@Courage7 (21587)
Yes if we were born in hardship, then we can make it, but to try to live the hard life after being so spoiled might be tough.
Exactly, I would not want to do that!
In a way, we have grown too dependent upon technology and unable to cope without it.
I agree. It's unfortunate. I do believe we should spend more quality time with family and friends.
@kepweng (19291)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i guess your Happy MORE in old days than now??
No, I prefer the present. I don't want to go back.
@iridion9 (11076)
I will lose my sanity if the internet is gone
me too
I have to have my internet I can not live without.
Same here! It's so useful and entertaining. I just couldn't imagine living without it.
@rachael5760 (2740)
• Israel
When you go camping and don't take the cellphone it is similar to living like the old days. Make sure you have a friend who can play some music on the guitar! Or play the guitar yourself!
@bagarad (13031)
• Paso Robles, California
I think after we've been so spoiled with modern technology -- especially electricity, indoor plumbing and hot water, and gas heating and air conditioning -- it would be really hard to go back to a time that didn't have them. But I wouldn't mind being without TV.
the only reason why we feel miserable without those comodities because we lived and have them all our life. while other people in different places and country doesnt have that and they are fine. even the water supply they need to walk miles and miles to get water for consumpsion. but it is okay with them because they lived like that.
@debjani1 (3942)
I enjoyed my old days though we don't have mobiles. We went to the STD booth to make the call. We were very excited. There were no inverter or generator and when the electricity had gone we used candles. We felt hot but when the electricity came we were really enjoyed. I don't think past life of mine was very bad. There are lot of sweet memories.