Would you want to live for ever?

@indexer (2348)
Leicester, England
A recent survey in the UK shows that 20% of respondents would take up the option of immortality were it to be offered to them. We are talking here about not dying - not some sort of incorporeal existence in an afterlife, or rebirth in another body. The actual question was: "If you were offered the chance to live forever, how likely are you to take it?" Note that nothing was said about the quality of the life on offer - the fear of being a permanent geriatric might have put many people off the idea. But even if the question had included a guarantee of continued good health, I wonder how many people would have voted Yes? Would you? I don't think I would!
@ilocosboy (40436)
I prefer to die than living eternally-- living here in the world is so noisy, messy and very hard with lots of problem happening everyday.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
Would you change your mind if you could live for ever in - say - a tropical paradise that was neither noisy nor messy?
@ilocosboy (40436)
Hmm, yes, as long as I'm with my family.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
@ilocosboy Yes, that might work - as long you can guarantee that they would be neither noisy, messy, nor posing lots of problems every day!
@bagarad (13031)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm afraid the economy couldn't handle it if we all lived forever. I think most of us would outlive the money we need to support ourselves. I wouldn't want to live any longer than I'm mentally and physically mostly healthy.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
That is a very good point. It might sound harsh, but societies can only grow and thrive if there is a constant renewal of the population, which means the removal of those who have ceased to be net contributors to it. Fortunately, we have the humanity to wait for these people to die naturally, but if they did not, one can imagine future regimes instituting more drastic measures! Do you remember the movie Logan's Run? That used this premise of pre-ordained culling of the population, although the cut-off age was 30 - surely a little too early!
@BabeSays (5625)
• Mauritius
If the world was a better place to live in then yes but since it isn't then it's a big NO.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
That makes a lot of sense to me!
@kamzbd (484)
I actually don't want to live for ever, because we all know that one day we have to die and we will return to almighty Allah (god).
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
The first part of what you say is certainly what we do know - the second part is belief rather than knowledge.
@myklj999 (20972)
I've always stated 'no'. Why would anyone care to go through all this forever? Could you imagine an eternity of crime and politics, etc? Nope. While I am not in any great hurry to die, the past 58 years have proven I wouldn't want it to keep going forever...
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
Yes - I think I can share that sentiment.
@ZedSmart (3495)
"I'm gonna live forever Baby, remember my name- Fame I don't know but it's going to be tough even if you're provided with physical health, mental health would be your problem. It would be very boring if you exists eternally. You might have tried everything and would no longer happy about it.
@indexer (2348)
• Leicester, England
I think you make a good point. You might indeed be able to live for ever if some scientists have their way, but the biggest question must surely be "what for"?
@dave121495 (1331)
It depends if you think of living forever with progression like getting older as the day goes by, I would probably say no. What are you going to do if you have arthritis, blurred vision, and all sorts of illness. As you have said its not about not dying.
@debjani1 (3942)
I also don't want to live forever as I became old and nobody cares for me.
I can't imagine it being a happy or fun option in the long term. All things eventually come to an end and to live forever would mean witnessing all of those ends. deterioration of the body with age aside, you would watch as those around you grow old and die while you do not. You would witness countless births and deaths to the point you would probably become numb to it, you would see the world change to something you could not recognize or understand. I can't imagine it being great either If you survive all that is thrown at the world and somehow continue beyond mankind too. I think, such a choice would eventually make the idea of life seem less valuable, precious and important for someone.
@DWDavis (15874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Unless things in the world improve a whole lot over where they are now, I don't see any point in living forever just to watch the human race and planet as a whole devolve into a cesspool of strife, starvation, and constant war.
@xander6464 (6024)
• Wapello, Iowa
After reading some of the comments, it seems that most assume that nothing will change...And it is true that people don't change but technology does and that will free us from quite a few of the current annoyances...IF we don't have a nuclear war or something else us pushes back to the stone-age...I guess what I'm trying to say is that even with the guarantee of good health, there are still too many variables involved, so the question is unanswerable.
I think to start with I would be one that would say yes. But I think after while say 1000 years later I think you would be sick of living.
@Orson_Kart (4483)
I might like to live forever if I was in my optimum state of health. Like you mentioned, you need a decent quality of life. My best days are behind me now, so I've missed the boat. Again.
@maclanis (1877)
• Belgium
I guess it all depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't enjoy losing all my loved ones, and I think I might get sick of it after some time. I guess I would maybe try it if I had the guarantee that I could die at some point if I wanted to.
@1hopefulman (35011)
Each day ends with things left undone and so long life and good health would be welcomed. My answer is yes!
Yes, I would. I would have no trouble becoming a vampire.
@mnglsp (1711)
Life is hard and I don't want to live forever in a hard life. In a world that is full of sadness and hardships.
@iridion9 (11076)
It's fine, I'll accept it. as long they can reverse aging as well