What convinces you to respond to a discussion?

By JJ
@myklj999 (18280)
The first thing any of us see is the title. And if that doesn't catch our attention, then the best written discussion ever to exist in myLot will probably not get many responses. Likewise, an extremely 'catchy' title with nothing of specific substance to the discussion is not going to get much of a reaction, at least from me. The one thing I absolutely will not do is respond to a discussion from someone simply because they responded to one from me. Likewise, I do not expect someone to respond to one of my discussions just because I responded to one of theirs. Some people will pick a topic to discuss because it is easy to respond to and doesn't require much thought. And yes, they will likely have a 'successful' discussion with plenty of responses. And good for them. I may even respond to that type, occasionally. But for the most part, I am ambling around TheHallowedHallOfmyLot™ looking for something to (metaphorically) sink my teeth into. What about you? What convinces you that you absolutely have to respond to a discussion from someone?
I know that some writers are more interesting than others, no matter what they write. Posts about cats always attract my attention. Controversial topics are sometimes interesting.
i read the controversial topics. sometimes i learn about the topic. sometimes i learn about the mylotters.
@hereandthere Some controversial discussions are interesting and I like to read the comments left by the other users.
@1hopefulman (32485)
I'm curious and so if it arouses my curiosity then I'll bite!
@myklj999 (18280)
Should I get a rabies vaccination ? lol
@1hopefulman (32485)
@myklj999 It might be wise!
There are certain people I know consistently post things that I can respond to, or that I relate to. I try to get to their discussions. There are people who leave well thought out responses to my discussions and to other discussions. They earn some interest from me. There are people I seldom respond to because of their chosen format. If they lecture me, I am gone.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
It depends on my mood. I really like interacting with some people here but don't always have time to go through explore, so if I see them while I am catching up on my notifications then I will swing by their discussions. Sometimes I will just like their discussions but most times I have something to say, even if it is not exactly epic @myklj999 .
@myklj999 (18280)
Not sure if you realize it, but tagging a response is not necessary and all it does is give someone two notifications of the same response. myLot will auto-tag anything that needs to be tagged.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@myklj999 Yes, I realise it, but, I have a little OCD and I am used to tagging. I guess I usually tag people I don't often interact with, you can see it as a double treat to hear from me.
@myklj999 (18280)
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'm not sure what it is about a title that catches my eye. I've noticed I tend to respond to a fairly eclectic mix of things.
@myklj999 (18280)
It seems my mood might affect what I respond to also...some topics that I would normally pass on will draw me in for some reason or another
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@myklj999 Yes, my mood, and my level of fatigue while I'm perusing the list of discussions.
@May2k8 (6820)
I respond if it doesn't drain a lot of thoughts.
@myklj999 (18280)
There is a line there...making someone think too much can lead to fewer responses...unfortunately.
@May2k8 (6820)
@myklj999 yes it happens a lot here, they are like avoiding something difficult.
I just read, I don`t care what its about. I find some fascinating , how people think.
true. some people surprise you.
@BarBaraPrz (20760)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
It really depends on how I'm feeling (communicative/uncommunicative) and whether I have anything to say about the discussion. Sometimes I self-censor if what I have to say isn't all that nice, or if I think it doesn't really matter to anyone.
i type, edit, type, erase, and abandon all the time
@FourWalls (15236)
I look discussions written by people with cute black cats in their profile pictures.
And who select EJ albums.
@xander6464 (3128)
• Wapello, Iowa
After the title has caught my attention, I read the post and if a good comment springs to mind, I make it. I wish there was a way around the title problem where the title of a good post isn't good enough to get me to read it because I feel like I'm missing a lot.
@andrewijaa (3421)
• Malang, Indonesia
I want to respond to people's discussions because I think that discussion is important and can serve my knowledge
There are certain people and subjects I always pay attention to. Yeah, I can't resist answering the easy ones for profit.
@wolfgirl569 (10231)
• Marion, Ohio
I respond when I can think of something to say, if not I try to give it a like. But some posts I wish I had never opened to read in the first place.
I respond to interesting topics and discussions posted by people that I regularly respond to.
@myklj999 (18280)
Even Steely Dan discussions?
@myklj999 well someone has to leave vomit faces on them
@NJChicaa Oh keep reelin' in the years!
@BabeSays (5642)
• Mauritius
Scar does. Just kidding. I reply to whatever discussion interests me else I don't.
@myklj999 (18280)
Scar is usually worth several responses
@BabeSays (5642)
• Mauritius
@myklj999 Indeed no doubt no that JJ Give my love to him
@ZedSmart (2718)
If I have something to say about the topic or can relate with. I find it difficult to respond if I do not have idea because words won't run down in my mind really.
@myklj999 (18280)
There are some discussions I find both the title and discussion itself interesting, but don't really have anything to say to them. Still, I'll give it a 'like' and the person is earning from the view and like they got from me.
@ZedSmart (2718)
@myklj999 You tell it so. I also encountered the same and even try to back read hoping that I can pick up some lines to say.
The title usually is what peaks my interest or in some cases my curiosity, sometimes its the picture and other times its the writer.
@myklj999 (18280)
I do tend to 'notice' some writers more than others
topic usually. or pictures of small black cats.
@amirev777 (2820)
Surely a 'catchy' title or a title of my interest would surely make me respond to a discussion. Other would be a matter of reciprocity
@pgntwo (22568)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Spur of the moment. History. A Lost Soul. Who knows?