Home Meal Prep Services

I am seeing these advertised all over Facebook, including Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Green Chef and others. Seems like every other ad I see is for one of these meal prep subscription services. Has anyone out here tried one of these? To my understanding they ship you all the ingredients a few times a week for an entire meal and I believe for two shipments per week for Blue Apron, I heard it was around $60. I personally enjoy the act of cooking and shopping for meals, plus for two dinners I could make t a lot cheaper myself. But then again, I am not the worlds greatest cook. Do you use one of these or know anyone else who does?
@LeaPea2417 (22073)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It is too expensive to try. I can get food at the local grocery for cheaper.
I agree!
I have not tried this type of service. I hate to cook anyway, so would not want to just deal with having to cook those ingredients.
Does your hubby do the cooking or do you eat out mostly?
@maezee Well, my husband is a meat-eater, and I do not eat any meat or fish, so he cooks for himself. Sometime he will cook vegetarian dishes for me. We do not eat out much at all since I usually have a good supply of vegetarian choices here at home.
@porwest (7430)
I am like you. I enjoy cooking, AND I can make many meals for much less money than these outfits offer. These "services" are catering to the misinformed and the lazy, I think. And there is quite a large market for that these days. I have never tried one of these and never intend to.
Yes. Although sometimes it seems like ingredients to more ellaborate dishes add up fast.
@porwest (7430)
@maezee Not if you know your prices and buy when things are on sale and plan meals based on what's in your cupboard rather than what you feel like having.
I haven’t used any of them. I know I can make meals cheaper myself.
That’s what i am thinking too!
@maezee It is for either new cooks or really lazy people.
I think it might be a good send for dual income working couples..but it would be silly for me to pay for a service like this. I like to cook anyway.
Me too. I do like the idea for those who can afford it, busy professionals.
Never ordered those meals and have no intention of ordering them either.
Ditto.
There are a few here on mylot who have tried it. They don't send you every single thing you need to make the meal though so you do have to buy other ingredients in order to make all the meals.
Oh. I didn’t know that. That is kind of disappointing. I wouldn’t want to have to go shopping after using this service.
@1creekgirl (12016)
My daughter uses Hello Fresh (I think) and they love it. I tried it for a while, but it's just not for us. The food was a little more exotic than we like. I'd rather buy and cook exactly what we want.
What kinds of food were there do you know?
I only have one subscription box but it's for art supplies. The food ones always seemed so expensive, and I could just as easily make something good to eat for half that price. They sure make them look good in the commercials, though.
@jobelbojel (8267)
I don't use these. And I won't order them online.
That would be convenient but quite costly for me. I personally enjoy shopping for ingredients and cooking my own food. What I'd love to have is someone to chop my meat and peel my veggies as I sometimes find that job taxing.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Sixty bucks buys groceries for this house for two weeks. So yeah nope.
@Courage7 (16490)
I do not use those services and never would. They are far too expensive.
@JustBhem (43004)
• Davao, Philippines
I was amazed when I see a post in one of the billboards here that there is an App where you can ask them to buy groceries for them. I was too delighted in the case in the near future, I will live my own place. I can just order those things I need without going to the grocery store.
Yes. That is becoming more common here too, a grocery delivery service!
@JustBhem (43004)
• Davao, Philippines
@maezee Yes, and for me, it is more convenient.
No at this point I don't even have an extra 60 cents lol.
Right. Most people don’t have an extra sixty plus bucks to spend on this.
I can make meals for a week with $60. Fresh veggies at that.
Exactly! Plus you can make your own recipes and experiment. Although for me that is good and bad.
@Metsrock69 (1075)
I guess this is for the people who can't get out or just don't want to cook. I love to cook and create new foods