I Would Give a Box-Bed a Try

A box-bed, closed-bed, enclosed-bed, or close-bed contained a bed that was inside a nicely-decorated box made from wood. Carvings, painted designs or scenes decorated box-beds. The box-bed was first used in late medieval times in western Europe. To get into a box-bed, a weary person would just remove curtains from the opening, slide a door or two aside, or open a hinged door to gain entry. The box-bed had short legs to protect the bottom of the box-bed from the moisture that was within a dirt floor. The box-bed also protected sleeping adults, children, and babies from any wandering pigs, chickens, and the occasional wolf. A person sleeping in a box-bed slept in a near-to-sitting position while leaning on three to four pillows for support. Lying down completely was not to be done in medieval times because lying down was the position of the dead. My mother's family hails from Brittany, France, and the lit-clos, or box-bed, was a traditional piece of furniture in that area. The people of Brittany were rather short, therefore, fitting in a box-bed was not a problem. I inherited that "rather-short" gene, so a box-bed would work well for me too. Western Britain had its fair share of box-beds, or enclosed-bed furniture, and the Netherlands had closet-beds that were built into the walls of a home.
I was thinking more of a trundle bed but this one looks okay. But what about claustrophobia for those that do not like smaller spaces ?
I would be a bit too claustrophobic in a box-bed. No way could I ever close the door or draw the curtains. I suppose those who could not handle a box-bed had to sleep on the floor.
@Corbin5 I'll take the box bed then if the floor was the only other option, rather not be a critters din din !
@akalinus (21171)
I think it looks cozy. At first, I did not like it but am starting to now.
@akalinus (21171)
A box-bed sounds very uncomfortable. I like to stretch out when I sleep. I am not crazy about the one in the photo. At first, I thought it was a stove. I just did not like it.
Some where a bit more ornate and looked more inviting than the one in the photo. I needed a photo of one that sat on a dirt floor, which was most-likely what the floor of my great-great grandparent's house in Brittany. Their stone house is still there in Brittany, but I believe it is empty. My cousin Pierre sent a photo of their house to me.
@akalinus (21171)
@Corbin5 I would think that stone houses would be really cold in the winter. Did you live in one?
@akalinus No, never have lived in a stone house. Have never been to Brittany, France. Just recently learned we have a lot of cousins in Paris and in Brittany.
I've not read anything about these beds from another era. I cannot help but to think that they would be awfully uncomfortable compared to the nice soft big beds that we enjoy today.
I bet they were uncomfortable. I read that the box-bed was the most prized possession in the house.
@Corbin5 it was probably because of the privacy it offered.
@Juliaacv My great-great grandparents home still stands in Brittany. Our newly-found cousin Pierre took a photo of the home and sent it to my sister and me. It is a tiny house, so I bet a box-bed was a space saver in that house.
@Courage7 (15652)
I would love one of those, I would feel so safe Deborah. I know someone who loved to sleep in a closet lol That is so great that you can know of your history of your heritage Deborah too.
Our son loved sleeping in our walk-in closet when he was little. I let him do that a few times. I would like one of those box-beds too. A light, little TV, and books would make for a comfy spot to get away from it all. Some of the box-beds were quite lovely.
@Courage7 (15652)
@Corbin5 Indeed so ornate and superb Deborah. We could have pajama parties in there
@Courage7 Now, that would be so much fun!!!
@UncleJoe (10861)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I had a box bed as a child. It was made out of cardboard and had writing all over it.
I bet it was one very comfy bed!! When you outgrew it, a bigger cardboard box! Easy and cheap.
@UncleJoe (10861)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Corbin5 Yes. We eventually moved into a cardboard house.
@UncleJoe Those boxes in which new refrigerators are delivered sure do come in handy.
This is very interesting, but you don't mean (surely!) that you slept inside the box?! Wouldn't you suffocate? Have you been to Brittany? We used to go there almost every year and camp for a few weeks when the kids were younger. Lovely place, very friendly people.
No, I have never been, but I do have a very long line of ancestors, Guern and Gereec, who lived in Brittany. My great-great grandparent's home is still there, thanks to our newly-found cousin taking a photo. He lives in Paris, but decided to visit Brittany.
@Corbin5 That's so cool, being able to trace your ancestors so far back to a faraway land! My great-grandmother was Swiss but I know very little beyond the town she came from, and I have no contact with my long Swiss cousins
@NormanDarlo Yes, it is great. One of the users here from France put together a family tree ancestry chart for me. My dad's family was easy to trace just using Find-a-Grave due to his family being from England and then coming to the USA in the 1600s. I hope that some day, you will have some contact with your Swiss cousins.
Well they sure looked pretty although compared to what we are used to now I assume they would be very uncomfortable. Very good idea though to be able to protect themselves from pigs and other wild animals!
A TV, a light, and books inside one of those might make a nice spot to get away from it all. Not sure if I could close the door, though. Claustrophobia may set in.
@Corbin5 I would have loved hiding in one as a kid I'm sure
@shaggin For a kid, that box-bed would definitely been a lot of fun.
@CarolDM (2183)
Oh wow this would be cool to at least try out.
Those beds were very well made, I am sure. I bet some were very well done. My great-great grandparents home is still standing in Brittany. It looks small, and a box-bed was most-likely used. Brittany folks were known for being quite short.
@CarolDM (2183)
@Corbin5 Yes I am sure they were made to last, nothing like today.
@Janet357 (2952)
b you never fail to amaze me with your posts. But right now, im laughing at the sight of that box bed hahhaha
It is hard to imagine fitting into that space in the box. Even short me would have a problem.
@Janet357 (2952)
@Corbin5 i just stand five feet. Do you think i will fit in?
@ridingbet (59369)
isn't it hot when one sleeps inside the box-bed?
I would think it would be hot if summer heat was in the forecast. Maybe folks slept on the floor if it was hot. I think a stone house would always be rather cool, so even hot weather may not deter someone from sleeping in a box-bed.
@ridingbet (59369)
@Corbin5 i agree with you. especially if the box-bed has no windows
we hand brass bed with three of us slept in.
A bit crowded for the three of you, but nice and warm in winter thanks to more than one warm body.
@Corbin5 Not sure my body is warm any more.I am cold most of the time.This is due to my medical issues
@kepweng (18547)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice antique if my mom see these thing she will ask u to gave it to her
I am glad your mom likes antiques.
• Midland, Michigan
Interesting, I've never heard of this before. I thought at first it wasn't the type of need that can be lifted up into a wall or ceiling. But those are somewhat traditional beds and they are thinner similar to couches with needs inside. Not comfy at all. I can sleep pretty well in a recliner, rocker or chair, but I don't think I'd want to be in something like what you're talking about.
Yes, you are thinking about the Murphy Beds. The first house my parents bought had a Murphy Bed which was in the living room. I do not think I would do well a bed like the box-bed. The house in Brittany, France, owned by my great-great grandparents is still standing. It looks like a one-room house, and I bet a box-bed was used.
I don't know. It doesn't sound like it would be very comfortable. Of course now there are so many options.
Well, not being able to change position would be a problem for me, and I never can fall asleep on my back.
@Metsrock69 (1073)
That looks very nice and very well built
I read that the box-bed was a very prized possession. Some are more detailed and ornate than the one in the photo
@sol_cee (17302)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
A beautiful bed with lots of story. I’d love to have one.
I would like to give one a try. I saw a vintage one for sale for around $1,000. Doubt if I would spend that much for a vintage box-bed though.
I've seen these in museums in Ireland. Sometimes they slept almost sitting up because they had chest problems.
I can see why that type of bed would help those who had health issues.
I would try it!
It does look cozy. Heck, add a small TV, some books, and a light, and it would be a nice place to get away from it all.
@dfollin (12768)
I didn’t know people could not lay down then. Weird! I couldn’t sleep like that I am chlostrophobic
I am a bit claustrophobic too. I would have to leave the door or curtain open.
I like these beds. I think they'd be a bit uncomfortable though! I like to lie on my tummy.
These definitely would not allow for on-tummy sleeping. I prefer sleeping on my stomach too. Never can sleep on my back.