Images from Lumbini, Nepal

Bunbury, Australia
Vince emailed last night from Lumbini in Nepal and has been posting photos on Facebook so I’ve attached some here. The twelve bikes that we raised money to buy have been presented although I gather not to the actual children who will benefit. I guess there could be a bit of jealousy among the children but there isn’t much you can do about that. The centre photo is of Deepa and Deera, two now 15-year-olds that Vince met when he was there three years ago. They are sisters and one always brought him cups of tea saying ‘cup of tea, Uncle. No sugar’. ‘Uncle’ was used as a mark of respect and Vince is wearing a Nepalese beanie affair. An American woman now living in Nepal said wearing the beanie would be a mark of respect to the Nepalese. The girls live at the girls’ school in a nunnery but they will not become nuns. They are taken in at a young age and educated. This will prevent them being married off too early and hopefully will equip them for a better life. The third photo is of one of the spartan classrooms which seem to be standard at least in that area.
@DWDavis (15842)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
A spartan classroom indeed. I wish students here could spend a few weeks in a classroom like this one and maybe they'd come to appreciate what they have more than they do.
True - dirt floors, no glass in the windows, bench seats. It's a bit different than most Westerners are used to.
@DWDavis (15842)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JudyEv We take so much for granted and the younger generations are even worse. They feel entitled to things our generation was willing to work to have.
@DWDavis When Australia was allowing migrants in from Europe (I'm talking in the 50s and 60s) they were willing to take on the menial tasks that Australians didn't want to do. Now they don't want to do them and the Asians have taken over the lower-paid jobs. They are very hard workers and are now moving up the scale too.
@Courage7 (21353)
Lovely photos now there Judy thanks very much. Yes the classrooms are very spartan arent they. Lots of happy smiles. Good work there.
Some classes are taught out under the trees but that might be from choice. The classrooms are probably quite hot at certain times of the year.
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@JudyEv yes it us tough studying without fans during the peak summers.
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@JudyEv many schools do not have physical classrooms in Nepal, India and in many more countries.
@dodoazo (22051)
What a laudable humanitarian project!
Thank you. He is enjoying doing what he can to help the people in that area.
@dodoazo (22051)
@JudyEv He did for he loves his work.
• Denver, Colorado
That classroom actually doesn't look all that bad compared to pictures I've seen of others in other places.
At least there is nothing in it to be untidy. I had another photo of a classroom somewhere but can't find it. There are five boys sitting on each form. They look well into their teens.
• Denver, Colorado
@JudyEv - And the thing is, those kids actually want to be there, unlike over here.
@teamfreak16 I think that is the whole difference. And one reason why it's nice to help them. I'm sure they really appreciate whatever is done for them.
@garymarsh6 (14752)
What a wonderful thing to donate. One of the greatest things to give are footballs or tennis balls. So many children can play with it rather than just one child. Well done Vince safe travels to him.
The group gave them cricket and volley ball sets last time we were there. One of the young girls was arguing strongly with her teacher and it turned out she wanted a cricket set for the girls. Vince said to the teacher that the girl should be a lawyer and she turned to him and said 'that is what I want to be'. The girls got their cricket set and Vince has stayed friends with the girl and her family. She is now studying law. Someone at the school suggested the bikes and we were happy to go along with it.
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@JudyEv the Nepalese Men's team is an upcoming force in the world of cricket, so cricket kits might be welcome!
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@JudyEv ha ha we often used a tree or bricks as our stumps and that shot reminds me of my college cricket playing matches!
@rakski (24124)
Wow nice! Vince is already there and in action!
Yes, he has been there a week now.
@rakski (24124)
@JudyEv that is nice and how long will he stay there?
@rakski His plane flies in on the 31 October.
The two girls are very pretty, I am glad that they have places where the girl can avoid being married too young against their will. Vince looks happy.
Yes, it is a great idea and they are happy there with lots of friends. Vince is enjoying his time thanks.
@JudyEv It seems they have beautiful weather.
@LadyDuck It seems to be sunny in all the photos so far.
@kepweng (19287)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
Hope u go with nepal trip with your hubby
No, I didn't go with him. I decided to stay home as I didn't think I would like all the rough travelling.
Looks like everyone is enjoying themselves. Glad to see this.
Thanks, yes. He is enjoying his time there.
Those bikes look like a big hit! The sisters are absolutely beautiful and I bet Vince was happy to see them.
Vince said they were always giggling and happy. They still look happy.
@anya12adwi (4518)
• Bhubaneshwar, India
Yes, we say uncle to elders, in India too.. Uncle and Aunty is common referred words.. We never call an elder person with his or her name..
I think they are nice terms. Vince certainly liked being called 'Uncle'.
• Bhubaneshwar, India
@JudyEv Yes, we were in a trip to Singapore and there was a guide named Augusta who wanted to be called by his name.. For the first time, I had called a person who is senior to me by his name and I felt weird but enjoyed the feeling..
@anya12adwi In Australia most people would prefer to be called by their first name too. They would feel strange being called Mr or Mrs.
• Walnut Creek, California
I could grab some extra chalk from the college I teach at and send it along.
I'm sure it would be welcome. Or you could just send money to me!
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@JudyEv a recommendation: if there is a local NGO of Nepal or division of International ones like Medicines' Sans Frontiers (MSF) , Vince can get their Account details or website for donation by interested people(you can PM some).
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@JudyEv you are welcome ! Days must be getting hotter in Australia. And Indian cricket team would be visiting Australia for a big series towards the year end!
How generous of you and your hubby to be giving them bikes. I suppose those can be used as their means of transportation in going to school and work. The two girls looks kind and jovial.
The 12 bikes are to go to children who live a long way from a school so they can continue to be educated.
@JudyEv Wow, that is very nice of you and your hubby.
@SIMPLYD We raised the money back in Australia and people were very generous so it isn't really all our money. .
The only one who looks like a Nepalese is Vince (lol)
Do you really think so? I think you are joking. Last time he was there, when he wore this cap, everyone said he looked exactly like their Prime Minister. Several even wanted photos taken with him.
@JudyEv And you are still asking me
@allknowing Fair enough but don't you think the other men look like Nepalese?
@franxav (5939)
Deepa and Deera look very grateful for the gifts Vince gave them. I lived in Nepal for eight years doing a little work of service for the people there. So glad, Vince is bringing smiles in the life of these poor people.
Eight years sounds more than 'a little work of service'. There does seem to be quite a few volunteers there. Last time Vince met a physiotherapist who had been there three years I think and he met an Australian nurse who spends her holidays there very year but as a volunteer.
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@franxav eight years is great! You were part of some NGO?
@ptrikha_2 (11117)
@franxav ok cool - have you heard of RangDe?
@HazySue (24663)
What wonderful photos. The girls are beautiful. The classrooms look a bit stark but if they learn while in them it's all good. Who choses who receives the bikes?
I think the headmaster will be choosing the most needy children. It will perhaps only make a small difference but at least it is something.
@HazySue (24663)
@JudyEv I think it is a wonderful thing you have done.
@HazySue Thanks.
@nela13 (10130)
• Portugal
The girls are so beautiful. Your husband looks nice with the nepalese beanie affair.
Many wear this type of headgear and I think the different colours have a meaning to them too.
@nela13 (10130)
• Portugal
@JudyEv it is nice
@jobelbojel (9031)
Beautiful people and culture for sure. I hope we can visit Nepal soon.
Those who visit seem to really like it there.
@JudyEv I like to believe, yes they do.
@simplfred (6212)
Beautiful pictures, nice bike...
Some children will be thrilled with their new bikes won't they?
@simplfred (6212)
@JudyEv I'm I step on their shoe, I will definitely thrilled to the bone. Well, a free bike even for the adult will be amazing.
@sallypup (30101)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Wonderful, sweet photos. Your husband and you are kind, good hearted folks.
Thank you. It is nice to be able to help.