It’s That Time, When I Wish I Am Already A Senior Citizen

Image is from google
Here in the Philippines, the senior citizens are given 20% discounts on restaurants, medicines , fares and have a special lane in fastfoods and groceries. Cinemas here have schedules for the seniors to watch a movie for free too. When I was given a maintenance supplement prescription for my osteoarthritic knees, it was named after my father-in-law who has a senior citizen card and a senior medicine notebook. Also, my pulmonologist also named the prescription for my fatty liver for 90 days , two times a day , to my father-in-law so I can buy them with 20% discount. That’s because the medicines are so costly. So whenever, I buy those two medicines, I present my father-in-law’s ID and notebook for medicine and the prescribed medicines named after my father-in-law. Their computation is the total amount divided by 1.12 then from that they subtract 20% from it. That’s a lot of discount already! It is because of this situation, that I am now wishing to have my senior citizen card soon. But that will be in about more than a year more. Meantime, I will buy in the guise of my father-in-law. It wasn’t me who suggested that, but the doctors , because they know the medicines will be costing me a lot without the 20% discount. At least, they commiserate with their patients.
@rakski (24079)
medicines are really costly. Sometimes, we do that too.
What is good is that the doctor suggests it. Who wouldn't want it anyway.
@rakski (24079)
@SIMPLYD Not all doctors are open to that.
@rakski Yes, that is true.
We are all obliged to have a healthcare insurance here in Switzerland, but we pay nothing for medicines. We have very little advantages being seniors and I would prefer to be younger than to profit of those small advantages.
Up to what age does the healthcare insurance serves the people? Here, when you are 65, you cannot be enrolled already for a health care provider. Yes, me too, I don't like to look a senior citizen but only like the SC ID card.
@SIMPLYD The healthcare insurance serves the people until they die, no matter the age. All people living in Switzerland MUST be enrolled in the mandatory healthcare insurance system, you cannot become resident if you do not apply.
@LadyDuck Oh that is very, very good. At least even at your old age you will be taken cared well . I suppose you mother when in the ICU was taken cared by her health care insurance?
I hope no-one catches up with you. We get quite good discounts here too because we are senior citizens.
I hope so too. But I have with me the ID, the notebook, the prescription, so it's believable. How much do you get being senior citizen for your discounts on medicines?
@JudyEv $5 per capsule or tablet?.That amount is already very expensive to us here when converted to 54 pesos the exchange rate for every 1USS.
@SIMPLYD Sorry, it's $5 per prescription for some tablets.
@rsa101 (16715)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Your close to being dual citizen already. Wow you must be looking forward to that. That means free philhealth as senior citizen. You will also be prioritized in lining up in banks and other institutions like hospitals and even in waiting for taxi lane. I look forward to the benefits but not the age. By that age things are really slowing down. Am quite far from there just about a decade and a half before I finally join the club.
Good for you you are still far from being senior. I just like the SC ID, but not looking as a SC.
Discounts are always welcomed.
Do seniors there have the same privileges as the seniors here?
@m_audrey6788 (18418)
Wow! Glad to know all those things
Don't you know those privileges? Are your parents not yet seniors?
@SIMPLYD I`m living in other country now and wasn`t able to know those privileges from my mother
@m_audrey6788 Oh I see. Good luck in being in another country. Are you there for work? Or just a visit?
Medicines are so costly, but we pay very little or nothing thanks to our wonderful medical insurance. I hope you don't get in trouble for doing that. That would be a felony here and jail time!
We also have our medical insurance but it doesn't cover the medicines, unless you were hospitalized and the meds are served by the hospital. Well, the two doctors actually were the ones who suggested that and did the prescription in my FIL names. On November, my meds for the fatty liver will be stopped already anyway.
@SIMPLYD Better you are not hospitalized. I guess your doctors know the rules and regulations in your country. Glad to hear you will be off meds soon for your fatty liver.
@DianneN I am positive that my fatty liver will be healed soon.
It is great that so many preferences are given to the senior citizens there.Here we just pay 30% expenses of medicine if we apply for the medical insurance of chronic diseases
Here the medical insurance is only good for up to age of 65. After that, you are on your own. So, there's no SC card for discounts there.
@SIMPLYD At least,you can buy some medicine with your father-in-law ID and notebook-within limits.
@changjiangzhibin89 Yes, I am so thankful to him.
@louievill (20299)
You are just about a year older than me don't worry, we will get it sooner or later
But I don't like to be a senior yet when it comes to looks and age. Just the Senior citizen ID for the discounts , is the one I like.
@louievill (20299)
@SIMPLYD me too
@ZedSmart (3476)
Ha ha. You're now revealing that. I think the most beneficial is the privilege given in the medicines. Because discounts on other benefits are not of so much use because they could no longer enjoy it that much. Imagine who would have eat more often in restaurants when you already have the restrictions on your intake because of some health issues? Who would like to go at cinema more often when you could no longer visually enjoy it because of poor eyesight? And I think it's the same with other benefits. That's why businesses should not worry much about the discounts because it could be use only by our senior citizens rarely. Well, this is only according to my humble opinion.
Those are the for very old ones. With the seniors who are still able in all their senses,they are really enjoying the free movies. They gather with their co-seniors and watch a movie. After which they would snack at cafes and chat about their lives.
@ZedSmart (3476)
@SIMPLYD You are right.
@PatZAnthony (13234)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It would be nice if everyone got the discount. Most seniors here are on much lower incomes than they had while working, so the discounts help.
Yes, even here. The pensions are much lower than the salaries they were receiving when they were working. Thus the SC ID card discounts helps a lot.
@jobelbojel (9028)
Will really help the seniors to save on medicines especially.
That is so true. I even thought it is straight 20% when they compute. I was surprised they would still divide it by1.12 before the 20% application.
@Edsamacos (261)
That would be a lot of discount there. And you can save on medicines.
Yes, it's a lot really. It's very helpful to the senior citizens. If you try computing, you will see that the discount is big.
@sol_cee (18426)
• Japan
My mother has one and she always shows them to any shop staff willing to take it. They even give 20% discount at Jollibee. Hehe
Yes, Jollibee and MCDo gives 20% discount and so with the other restaurants here. Although, if they ordered a lot, only one dish per senior citizen will have the discount.
@yoalldudes (4801)
What about medicines from RHU? They are free.
Yes, they are. But what they give there are for diabetes and high blood pressure. They don't have my prescribed meds.
@deba12 (3079)
Have you reached the age of senior citizen? I don't want to become old now, irrespective of whatever lures come in my way.
Like I said in my post, I am still more than a year before reaching it. Other than those priveleges of a senior citizen, I don't want to be a senior yet.
• New Delhi, India
Seriously there are so many benefits of having senior citizenship in a place.
What about in your place, what are the perks and benefits of a senior citizen. Here, they have a certain allocated place for a senior citizen in buses and public transport aside from having the 20% discount in their fares.
@flapiz (7196)
I’m very happy of these senior citizen discounts and lanes. It makes our elderly motivation to keep active and live. My grandparents are proud of their cards when we are eating out. It makes them feel important.
Yes, that is so true. Although the discount for foods in restaurant is just for one dish per senior.
@flapiz (7196)
@SIMPLYD Oh is it? Well still better than nothing.
@flapiz Yes, at least their foods are with discounts. So, you order the big size per dish and two of those will be applied to your mother and father. That will be a bit big amount already.
@sunrisefan (21827)
They give me 50% discount because I'm 95
How it is that way with the senior citizen card. Hmm, that is a nice way to suggest to our President to be implemented.
@sunrisefan (21827)
@SIMPLYD Hahaha! Are you close to the President? Then you should GO () and suggest it to him hehehe!
@sunrisefan (21827)
@SIMPLYD I'm bored waiting for the delivery of my ordered item from Shopee. I'm supposed to have a refuel for the car and go straight to the hotel site for the concrete mix pouring this morning but the courier texted that they're going to deliver my item.
@anya12adwi (4472)
• Bhubaneshwar, India
You wish to be senior citizen and now I feel like growing old in your country
No, I don't wish to be a senior citizen already except for that one - SC card that can enable you to have 20% discounts on meds.
• Bhubaneshwar, India
@SIMPLYD Yeah. Nowadays medical industry is having highest inflation
@anya12adwi That's because medicines has now become a necessity specially for old people.