Why do many MyLotters not let us know where they live?

Walnut Creek, California
I live in Northern California, where the weather near the Coast is temperate. I can grow corn and green beans in the Summer, and snow peas in the Winter. In the Summer, our temperatures are often in the 90s (F), and in the Winter, we get the occasional freeze (26 F or so) at night. I've noticed that many MyLotters don't tell us where they live. Some might say "United States," but that could be anywhere from Florida (where it tends to be warm) to Alaska (where they have long and cold Winters). Why are some MyLotters so "private" about where they live? Do they worry that @Vandana7 will stop by and suck their blood? I don't believe she's really a vampire, and I can (almost) guarantee that I will not stop by and drink all of your red wine. When talking about things like the weather, or what's growing and what's dying, or what animals are running around in your back yard, wouldn't it be helpful to know (approximately) where a person lives?
@myklj999 (22262)
• Olney, Illinois
But I'm bad...I'm nationwide
I DON'T OWN THIS SONG. All the credit goes to ZZ Top for the music featured in this video.
@vandana7 (69281)
Nationwide? That is a lot of width...where is it...at chest, waist, or hips..
Yes, privacy matter in a small country. I am here from so long that all those who interact with me know that I live in the south of Switzerland in the Italian part. No reason that everyone on the web know. This site is "public" do your remember? So what you write is not ONLY seen by myLotters.
i agree, especially if you put your first and last name, your picture, your city and state.
@hereandthere Exactly, then you write post saying that you are away vacationing and you put your house at a potential risk to be burgled.
@vandana7 (69281)
Exactly..it is a public site. If it was kind of close knit group, sharing would not be an issue.
@Micmac (9807)
There are some people like myself who prefer to limit the amount of personal info posted on the internet.
@kepweng (19409)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
why my friend u Dont want to be Superstar in internet??
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm kind of like that too. But I don't mind people knowing that I live in the East Bay of the Bay Area.
@kepweng (19409)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
california is a Big state they cannot find u
@sallypup (30661)
• Moses Lake, Washington
This morning National Public Radio reported that not many folks go out and experience the outdoors. That statement made me quite sick. Once a lady told me that she kept her car in a garage. She didn't know what the weather was until she opened the garage door. Perhaps people don't care where they live and many apparently don't connect the dots on their particular seasons. By now I'm pretty sure you think you know where I live.
@sugartoes (44505)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@sallypup I do care where we live & the weather around me & the area as well that's why we're looking at moving to a better location than where we are now.
@sallypup (30661)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@sugartoes Your answer reflects why we are friends. In a few years I, too, am moving to a better location. I wish you well in your journey.
• Walnut Creek, California
Moses Lake, Washington. Do you sense my presence lurking in your yard?
Haha I haven’t noticed that but it does seem like some don’t expect us to be curious.
@myklj999 (22262)
• Olney, Illinois
Sometimes mine says, sometimes it don't. If I think the point needs to be made geographically, I'll usually say something.
@myklj999 considering how much we moan about the weather, those times are appropriate!
• Walnut Creek, California
Isn't curiosity a good thing? Or should I say, Thank you for your response, My Dear Friend?
Yes, I also want to know where other myLotters live. Me, I always mention the exact place of residence here in the Philippines, so that my friends here will know already, as I also know where they are too already.
• Walnut Creek, California
I show my location so I can discuss weather with others.
Some people just downright suspicious of the net.
• Walnut Creek, California
You're in the Philippines? I'll see you tomorrow
@TheHorse I'll be dropping by Walnut Creek in an hour or so, see you then!
@ptrikha_2 (11602)
@allen0187 do share your pics with Horse !
@KristenH (25621)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Good point. I wish they would take a hint and do it.
• Walnut Creek, California
If you're in Ohio, I know the weather is going to be kind of like what it is in my native Chicago. It could be 55 F today, or maybe 72 F.
@sugartoes (44505)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@KristenH I see you live in Ohio & I'm looking for someone that lives in that state to tell me something about it as we're looking to find a better place than where we are now for our FINAL home & we're thinking Ohio but don't know anything about it.
• Walnut Creek, California
@sugartoes Much of Ohio is pretty flat.
@1creekgirl (13656)
I don't mind anyone knowing I live in eastern NC, but I don't know why NC doesn't show up in my profile. I don't use my last name, just a privacy thing for me.
• Walnut Creek, California
That seems like common sense boundaries to me.
@vandana7 (69281)
North Carolina is a bad word perhaps for myLot.
• Walnut Creek, California
@vandana7 Hmm. I'm looking for naughty words in North Carolina, but I can't find any.
• Japan
I don't like letting people know my exact location, but Western Tokyo is pretty broad.
@ptrikha_2 (11602)
@petatonicsca yes exact location could be risky.
• Walnut Creek, California
I don't think I could find you if I flew over there tonight.
@ptrikha_2 (11602)
@TheHorse criminals are less probable but not impossible.
@bagarad (13094)
• Paso Robles, California
I so agree with you about wanting to know where people live. It makes their posts so much more informative. I don't mind who knows my city. I'm very happy here. I love sharing the joy.
@vandana7 (69281)
At least the country and city. That helps. And in fact, that confuses these data mining systems, like myLife, which will end up offering wrong information. Worth creating such confusions.
@bagarad (13094)
• Paso Robles, California
@vandana7 How does that information confuse the data miners?
@vandana7 (69281)
@bagarad Pony here mentioned a middle east country as his residence for a while. Then he mentioned Walnut creek... I would think that when they search they are not sure which one is the final one. They'd end up thinking this is temporary residence.
@sol_cee (18525)
• Japan
It's probably because of Vanny. haha
• Walnut Creek, California
That's reasonable. She's dangerous.
@vandana7 (69281)
I love Japanese. They are so beautiful calm cultured and VAMPIRE FEARING.
• Walnut Creek, California
@vandana7 Are they tasty?
• Cuddalore, India
Maybe they don't want someone to know.
• Walnut Creek, California
Why would they not want someone to know? The Bay Area is a big place. You would have a hard time finding me here if you didn't know my real name and address.
• Cuddalore, India
@TheHorse yes I agree
• Walnut Creek, California
@Lignitecityabishek96 Even knowing you live in India...I know it tends to be hot...but I'd have to as you how far North Cuddalore is. India is a big country.
@ilocosboy (41791)
I have to check why my home province Ilocos Sur is not visible in my profile. Now I remember why it was not indicated, its so happen my province and city was not in the list to choose from.
• Walnut Creek, California
Can you enter it "manually"?
@sugartoes (44505)
• Greencastle, Indiana
that would be nice if we all were to just let our guard down a LITTLE & knowing what STATE we live in is no big deal as you can see I have mine on here BUT is it REALLY where I live???
• Walnut Creek, California
If you're in Indiana (or have lived in Indiana), at least I can get SOME sense of what weather you've experienced. Bloomington IN was way cooler than CA in Winter, but warmer than Chicago or Iowa.
@Shiva49 (14673)
I had written about what people share in their profile. Some remain anonymous and we do not even know their gender. Basic information helps better interaction - siva
@vandana7 (69281)
I agree. At least we are not mistaking lady to be gentleman, which I admit I did here once.
@Shiva49 (14673)
@vandana7 If no information is given, the interactions become superficial, lack depth, ring hollow - siva
@vandana7 (69281)
@Shiva49 I think there is assorted variety here. Some interactions are meant to be just fun without depth. Other variety is more informative, and sensitive. I am fine with fun too.
@pgntwo (22740)
• Malaga, Spain
Very handy for tracking progress on a world tour or similar, too ! . I am on a trip around the Mediterranean currently, so my location changes a little every week...
@vandana7 (69281)
You doing 007 job? I can imagine you introducing yourself, my name is pgn..pgntwo.
@ptrikha_2 (11602)
@vandana7 oh @pgntwo beware of the Spectre Men and Women on the lookout for you! By the way is "M" aware about your whereabouts?
@vandana7 (69281)
@pgntwo More than espionage I think....evil grin.. if I had to calculate how many minutes of a Bond movie are spent on or with Bond girls...then espionage will certainly take a back seat, right? LOL
@ptrikha_2 (11602)
Well some have safety and security reasons- from thieves, dacoits, terror groups or some enemies.
• Walnut Creek, California
I hope there are no terror groups after me.
@ptrikha_2 (11602)
@TheHorse beware of Vanny and @DaddyEvil 's cunning ways though!
@spiderdust (7594)
• San Jose, California
I have my city listed, but I figure it's a large enough city that I should avoid a stalker at my door. Besides, my phone number's an unlisted one.
• Walnut Creek, California
I get a sense of where you are (a bit South of me) but will not invade your boundaries unless you're cooking tri-tip and baked potatoes.
• San Jose, California
@TheHorse At the same time or just at least one of them?
• Walnut Creek, California
@spiderdust Oh, it must be both! I'll bring the salad. Heh. Knowing that you're from the South Bay and that I'm from the East Bay actually helps, because we can discuss things like "Is it smoky there?" or "Did you feel that earthquake?"
@Inlemay (17194)
• South Africa
I have no idea, I am very proud to be one of about 10 South Africans on the blog, and probably the one that posts the most. Anyone interested in reading about my country can log in. I like to know where people are from.
• Uzbekistan
10 South Africans? I haven't encountered so many. I'm the only member from my real country and also from my adopted country.
@Inlemay (17194)
• South Africa
@MALUSE I can believe you - I met the first Portuguese person the other day (we have about 10 but I think I am the only active one - SophieY is here now and then, and Diana Abrahams is back, Terry and Teresa don't write any more, Chantiele leaves a note sometimes, Catherine is writing again, Stacey Smith was here and then there is Gina that pops in every now and then
• Walnut Creek, California
I enjoy learning about countries I've never been to. I do have a friend who came here from South Africa.