Two long-lost tortoises turn up in a Perth, Western Australia, backyard

Madagascan tortoise
Bunbury, Australia
I was checking out news items and it seems a Perth, West Australian restaurant owner has been charged with possessing three rare Madagascan radiated tortoises. Although he wasn’t the thief the tortoises were stolen from the Perth Zoo. The Asian man had the first tortoise for about a week in 2016 but took it to the police when he realised it was stolen and was endangered. He had had the other two for seven years but had cared for them well. The two were microchipped and had been stolen in 2011. The article didn't say why he had kept the two and not handed them over as well. The Madagascan radiated tortoise (Astrochelys radiate) is most abundant in southern Madagascar but has been introduced to Reunion Island and Mauritius. The oldest verified lifespan is 188 years. There are believed to be only 400 odd of these tortoises left in the wild, mainly due to habitat destruction and poaching. It has a high-domed carapace which grows up to 16 inches (41 cm) in length. The shell plates are dark with yellow lines radiating from the centre of each shell, thus giving it its name. It is regarded as one of the most beautiful of the tortoise types. It’s not long ago that a meerkat kitten was stolen from Perth Zoo. It would seem they need to increase their security measures. The photo is from Wikimedia and is in the public domain.
Things like that will happen as long as it is accepted to have wild animals as pets. Domestic animals can be counted with the fingers of one hand.
Yes, I guess you're right. Some people think they can look after any animal.
@JudyEv i have seen on TV shows about people that keep tigers, gorillas and snakes. In one case, the gorilla killed its owner. It had been raised as "part of the family". The means that owners and media unite to do something that should be ilegal.
@marguicha Wild animals always keep that bit of 'wildness' about them I think.
As much as I love animals I would never steal one from a zoo.
Me either. Much too much responsibility if you weren't familiar with its habits and diet.
@ilocosboy (40475)
I hope the tortoise just escaped and it so happened handed to this man. That is really a beautiful tortoise.
He says he bought it off a stranger but originally it had been stolen from the zoo.
@ilocosboy (40475)
Poor guy he was indicted in that incident
@ilocosboy Yes, that seems to be the case. He handed the first one in to the police though.
I wouldn't have thought zoos would be a target for theft...
The Perth Zoo had a meerkat kitten stolen just a while ago but they tracked it down very quickly which was fortunate for the kitten.
@playertwo (1682)
@JudyEv i love little kittens i just got a little kitten myself not to long ago.
@playertwo Kittens are gorgeous too. I'm sure your kitten will bring you a lot of pleasure. Have you named it yet?
@Ronrybs (8115)
• London, England
You can't help but feel for these poor animals. Some people are really despicable when it comes to making a quick buck
@playertwo (1682)
That is really just so sad. I love animals and i love turtles.
Some just have no idea about how to look after domestic pets let alone exotic ones.
That is some big tortoise. I just do not understand what people expect to do with the animals when they steal them from a zoo. You have to know how to take care of these animals.
This guy apparently loves wildlife and at least he had looked after them well. But it's very silly to take on something like this.
@aureliah (20781)
• Kenya
If they had a microchip, they would have been traced so I would ask the authorities why they let the man stay for that long with the tortoises.
I don't know that the microchip would have helped them locate the tortoises' whereabouts.
@aureliah (20781)
• Kenya
@JudyEv It would as long as its functioning properly
@aureliah Do all microchips have a locating device in them? I know the endurance horses are microchipped but it doesn't help locate them if they lose their rider and disappear.
@JudyEv Thanks Judy for sharing that with us. It was very interesting. When I was growing up I had a friend that had a turtle and we talked turtle talk. I knew they lived a long long life. I wish cats and dogs lived long long lives too.
I'm glad you found it interesting. It would be nice if cats and dogs lived a bit longer wouldn't it?
@JudyEv I wish my animals would live forever with me but that is not the case.
@nawala123 (3612)
slow but sure animal
That is very true.
@nawala123 (3612)
@JudyEv land so old
@kobesbuddy (59658)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I love turtles, they are so unique and basically harmless animals. Stealing them is terrible, it should never have happened! The Perth Zoo does need to improve their security measures!
I wonder if there will be a third incident given that things seem to happen in threes although I guess one meerkat and two tortoises equals three.
@kobesbuddy (59658)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv It's so mean for people to steal these wild animals, with no idea how to care for them:(
@Courage7 (21585)
Well why is he being charged I wonder if he did not steal them..he would have purchased them I guess
They are endangered and it's illegal to keep them without a licence. He had already handed one over so I guess he knew he wasn't allowed to keep them and ignorance is no defence anyway.
@Courage7 (21585)
@JudyEv Yes true enough Judy.
I am wondering too why he had not reported the other two
Perhaps he just really wanted to keep them. I don't know but it is a bit confusing. Quite possibly the paper didn't write it up all that well. That happens often enough.
I think you are correct about needing to improve security measures.
They probably pride themselves on people being able to get up close and personal but there is always a price to pay.
@playertwo (1682)
I loved turtles when i was a kid they are very interesting animals.
They are very intriguing aren't they?
That would be really interesting to have that show up in your backyard. There are some big turtles around here..although we generally only see small ones. I once saw some kids pull a 3 foot long turtle out of the lake, I told them to put it back, but maybe it ended up in a soup pot..who knows?
This guy loved these creatures it seems. The police spotted it when called to a home invasion.
The zoo does need to tighten security. Get cameras installed. At least the tortoises were treated well.
In both cases, meerkat kitten and tortoises, the outcome was positive but it could easily have been otherwise.
That is just wrong to steal an animal from a zoo. That is pretty low.
It is a really stupid idea but at least the outcome has been positive.
@wolfgirl569 (13897)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad they found them and in good shape too.
Yes, he had had them for quite a while so he must have been looking after them well.
@Deepizzaguy (15970)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have heard of stories of alligators getting inside of the swimming pools of homeowners in Florida. This story from your nation is amazing.
I don't know why people would want to steal creatures from zoos. It is very stupid behaviour.
Glad they finally turned up.
Yes, the authorities had probably given up on them.