When The Going Gets Tough.....

When the going gets tough, this girl goes baking. I know, I know, its just my husband and myself living here, and neither of us need cookies. But baking them seems to be a bit of a stress reliever for me. And I had a little stress earlier today. And, did I mention that they are Freshly Baked Peanutbutter Cookies? What can be wrong with indulging and treating yourself with one of these little guys? I feel so de-stressed now, so what am I ever going to do with all of these cookies? I know...…...I'll bring them into work for my last day there today. Yesterday we had cake, today will be cookies! How do you de-stress?
@Morleyhunt (21330)
Wish I could pop over for a coffee and a couple of those yummy looking cookies. I think you know how I distress! My sewing machine is a great stress reliever.....and when the sewing is not going well...I go for a walk.
Oh MH, if lived closer, I'd bring you a container full so that you could share them with your grandbabies-after we taste some ourselves first. I am going to learn to sew better then I do, and will take lessons. I'm a little more motivated reading your comment, maybe there is more to de-stressing then running to the kitchen.
@Morleyhunt (21330)
@Juliaacv I enjoy baking too....unfortunately then I feel obliged to eat the results.....you and I both know how that ends.
@Morleyhunt I should have taken baking as a career, because for me its the action of the measuring and mixing that I enjoy. I'm so over whatever I baked by the time its out of the oven. But.....I swear that my body can gain the calories just by the smell alone coming from the oven.
And I bet your husband is really complaining about those cookies!
This recipe makes a lot of cookies, by anyone's standards, and even more by mine. I just took out the last sheet of cookies, and I already have 2 large containers filled, now to find a third container. Of course if I could send them thru a pm, you'd get some, and a few other members here. Then we could all join in for a virtual coffee and cookie break together.
Oh, those look like my mom's peanut butter cookies. I bet your house smells just wonderful due to baking those cookies. I clean when stressed. I also throw items not longer needed in the garbage.
Thank you. And who knows, it could be a variation of your Mom's recipe, it made a lot of cookies, so would have been a treat to a lot of kids, not like the 1 or 2 children that make up a family today. I suppose in the future should I want the house to smell delicious, I could just turn the sensi on, now that I think about it, I just put some sugar cookie melts in it a few days ago. My stress is all gone, so are a lot of my containers, they are full now!
@Juliaacv So glad your stress is gone. I have Scentsy warmers too, and I use the sugar cookie melts too when fall rolls around.
@Corbin5 Plus, after I lost my stress......my husband called me and he just received a call from the collision centre and the insurance company. Since I'm starting a new job in a few days, and he isn't 100% sure of my schedule, he asked me to book the car in. So, another to do item crossed off of the list.
I too bake just like you, made homemade zucchini/ carrot bread and OMG it was fantastic . . . those peanut butter cookies would not last but a few minutes around me. Do you ever substitute the amount of sugars (brown and regular) with something else sweet ?
22h
The bread sounds delicious. I remember the first summer that we were married, we grew a little garden, and we had so many zucchini that I froze a lot of it. I would bake zucchini bread for my husband every weekend. It was one of the first successful things that I learned to bake.
21h
@Juliaacv almost me too cause three or four layer cakes throw me right out of the kitchen, cannot get those down yet but the breads well those are a specialty. I want to just make a carrot bread but am worried it might be dry ? the zucchini is so succulent moist it adds to flour so perfectly, carrot might not cause not so watery. Think I should chance it and just make simple carrot bread ?
21h
@enlightenedpsych2 I find that adding raisins to carrot bread helps with the dryness.
I usually do something physical to de-stress, I clean the kitchen or the bathrooms, I re-arrange a cabinet, or I work in the garden.
I've got to learn to sew a bit more, that would be a great stress-buster.
@Juliaacv I have promised to sew a dressing gown for my husband. I have bought yesterday the fabric, now I need to be brave enough to get the scissors and cut.
@LadyDuck I'm sure that you will be fine and that the project will be a success.
Why is it your last day there? I am hoping it's the weekend for you and not something bad. If baking is your thing then bake and list them on etsy. good luck.
Its a good thing that today was my last day at work. I quit because I found a much better job. When I left there today I literally skipped out of the office while smiling from ear to ear. Onto greener pastures as they say......
@Juliaacv Wonderful and I am always happy to know something good is happening with us here. Good for you.
@sharon6345 Thanks. I'm not saying that the 9 weeks of training will be easy, but I'm up for it. I feel that its a good change in jobs.
@CarolDM (5726)
Baking is a good way to deal, eating chocolate is another.
Chocolate is good to me, but in really small doses. I hate to admit that, but it upsets my tummy a bit.
@CarolDM (5726)
@Juliaacv Yes I cannot eat like I used to be able to. Moderation is the key. I love these Hershey miniatures.
@CarolDM I had some of the tiny packets of M&M's left over from Halloween, and those M&M's are so small, so I used them on some of the cookies. Just one on top, and the rest of the batch I put 1 peanut on the top of each. But no...….I won't eat any more of these. I've had my fill.
@moffittjc (46045)
• Gainesville, Florida
I de-stress by eating yummy cookies that other people bake! haha Actually, I go for a long run and just lose myself in my music along the run. Hope those cookies turned out delicious. They would be really good for the calories I need for my next run!
They were good, but I packed the majority of them away to take down to our son's house. He will always be our "Cookie Monster" and I'm going there on Monday. He'll be happy, and he'll get them all to himself because his wife doesn't like peanut butter.
@moffittjc (46045)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Juliaacv I'm sure he will enjoy those cookies immensely!
@moffittjc I hope so. Both he and his wife are off from work tomorrow for Remembrance Day, so I'm going down to their place, will treat them to lunch out and we store my all seasons and rims there while the winters are on the car.
I am so sorry you are stressed. I'm sure your husband is enjoying the fruits of your labor. The only time I drank milk as a child is when my mom made peanut butter cookies.
Our son says that he used to love getting off of the school bus on days like this was. When we start getting those grey days of late autumn, I would often have a couple of different batches of warm cookies out on the counter when he'd come in from school. Funny what people remember isn't it?
@Juliaacv Mamas make wonderful memories.
• Uzbekistan
I'm not so stressed that I need de-stressing.
I had something that stressed me out early this morning. And I needed to shed that stress. Most of us get a little stressed out now and then.
• Uzbekistan
@Juliaacv I can imagine a dilemma for your husband. On the one hand, he doesn't want to see you stressed. On the other hand, he likes the cakes and biscuits which only come into existence when you are stressed. :-)
@MALUSE He actually doesn't have much of a sweet tooth when it comes to cookies. I'll probably put some away for the next time that we go to visit our son and give him some.
I enjoy baking, but if I were to bake a batch if peanut butter cookies I would have to sample one and that would least to another, which would lead to another... until the entire batch is gone and I feel miserable.
I used to sample as I went, but after a few too many tummy aches, it became evident that I either had to wait until they were done and then sample 1 and 1 only or give up baking. I like to know what we put into our bodies, so giving up baking wasn't an option. Its such a great stress-reliever for me.
@Juliaacv o have zero self control when it comes to sugar. I can resist the first one but if u give into that one I'm a goner.
@Spontaneo (1808)
I only make no bakes. Why is it that no bakes have to be kept in the freezer? If I do not, the darn things get soggy or gooey. When I read recipes, the freezer part is always left out. As for stress, I like to clip coupons to de-stress.
Oh you've got a good idea to de-stress, we don't really have many coupons up here though.
@Spontaneo (1808)
@Juliaacv uuugh
I distress faster just by eating chocolates.
I used to, but this old body of mine cannot seem to handle sugar or chocolate like it used to. And I always thought that I was made to consume chocolate.
@Juliaacv I can't eat chocolates as much as I did before, but still have some.
Those cookies look delicious Julia. I don't bake, but I don't need a stress buster anyway. Just lucky I suppose.
I had to access an on-line account today, and I received the temporary password in an email, but they failed to send me my login. That was my stress. What good is one without the other?
@Juliaacv That would annoy me too.
• Pamplona, Spain
Usually cleaning as I don´t have an oven here at all. Or go to the shops to buy something I need and then go for as far as I can on a very long walk. Enjoy the cookies and they look great so the others will love them also.
I have to agree, shopping is a great relaxer for me as well.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Juliaacv Even just looking around and making plans as to what you can buy helps me as well. Also finding good food bargains for Christmas too.
@noni1959 (3943)
21h
Yummy Those are some of the best kind.
21h
I had so many of them that they stopped looking yummy to me. I brought some to our son's place today for him to enjoy.
I bet that they smelled heavenly.
They did smell delicious.
Save some for me....I'll bring the coffee
Its a deal!
@JESSY3236 (7532)
Yum I read, or listen to music.
I need to change my de-stress practises, yours sound much more health-conscious.
Walk and garden, mow grass. Those look so delicious!
Thanks, they're just peanut butter cookies, nothing fancy. I've got a few in the freezer to see if they'll freeze. That way I can take these to our son's place the next time that we go. He still loves Mom's homemade cookies.