I'm doing my happy dance!

@1creekgirl (12432)
I absolutely adore avocados. I put them on toast with an egg or bacon, I put them in a salad, I eat them just plain with a little salt and pepper. But I haven't been buying them every week because they're just expensive. Almost a dollar for one avocado! So you can imagine how excited I was to see them in Walmart today for $.38 each! I bought eight, would have bought more, but I wasn't sure how long they would last without getting too ripe. I'm already looking forward to breakfast. (Glad my husband doesn't like them ) I won't have to share with him....isn't that awful. It really doesn't take much to make me happy. In the food world, what makes you do your happy dance?
Your $1 would be perfect for me. Mine are over that for the tiny ones. I would not want that to rot so I would pass on that many. for me, I have to buy it once a month. I hear they are packed with calories. I am not trying to lose weight but not gain either.
@1creekgirl (12432)
Yeah, I think they're high calorie and fat, but the healthy kind.
@1creekgirl That is what I was told I am not sure how to pick the right ones. I have been trying to find a recipe to make the seasoned stuff I eat with this. I forget the name now.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@sharon6345 Are you talking about guacamole? I love that, but don't know how to make it. When you buy avocados, it you're going to eat it right away, pick one that's a little soft. But you can get the harder ones that will stay good longer and if you want to soften one, just put it in a closed paper bag with an apple for a day or two.
@CarolDM (5726)
I know, I love them too and they are pricey. No way, I would have bought them out at that price!
@1creekgirl (12432)
I really wondered if I should have bought more, but I'd hate for them to go bad.
@CarolDM (5726)
@1creekgirl Yeah and they do go bad pretty fast.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@CarolDM I bought a few soft ones to eat in the next day or so, and a few hard green ones that will keep a while, then I can ripen them one at a time in a paper bag with an apple.
@1creekgirl I used to like avocadoes and buy them and make a dip but it got to hard to make them as a dip so stopped and I do not eat potatoe chips and dip anymore.
@1creekgirl (12432)
Do you have another snack you love?
@1creekgirl I still love donuts but try to eat them with my meal and try not to eat a lot of them now. I love bananas.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@Hannihar Bananas are very healthy.
When our favorite and most healthy brand of turkey lunchmeat offered by a company Dietz and Watson is on sale from $10.99 per pound to are you ready for this one: $5.oo a pound, YEY ! Now I wish they would have that as the regular price every week, every day cause the junk turkey offered by Jenni O or Tyson or even Sugardale is loaded with junk I don't need nor cannot take into my body . . .
@1creekgirl (12432)
That's good that you've found a healthy brand of turkey and even better when it's on sale!
@1creekgirl they are rare to locate and once found, I keep congratulating the company that serves quality over quantity (which the latter involves adding fillers which ruin the lunchmeats), Dietz and Watson is about quality. What good quality lunch meats do you have available in your grocery ?
@1creekgirl (12432)
@enlightenedpsych2 I haven't heard of that brand here, but it might be in the grocery store. The only "lunch" meat we eat once in a while is bologna. I know, it's not very healthy so we don't eat it often. But sometimes, especially in the summer when we have fresh tomatoes from the garden, you just can't beat a good baloney sandwich on soft, white bread with lettuce, mayo and tomatoes. And ice cold sweet tea!
I wish that I enjoyed them too, but I do not. Nice to find them at such a great price. I love fresh raspberries, when they go on sale I get happy.
@1creekgirl (12432)
I've never been fond of raspberries, but glad they make you happy! Are they grown locally?
@1creekgirl Yes, we grow them up here. My husband and I used to have some raspberry bushes and grew our own for a lot of years.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@Juliaacv Fruits are always better when they're that fresh.
That would make me do a happy dance. $1 is pretty reasonable for an avocado here.
@1creekgirl (12432)
Wow, they're even higher in Canada? I have no idea why they're on such a great sale right now.
@1creekgirl They don't grow anywhere in Canada, I am pretty sure. So never a low price.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@paigea Sure wish they grew around here!
I have an avocado tree but it has not yielded It is there since almost 20 years
@1creekgirl (12432)
Does it usually take that long for a tree to produce fruit?
@1creekgirl Not at all. This tree will not yield, sadly.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@db20747 (10233)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
A good friend loves avocados!! They are so healthy!! His skin is smooth and clear as a balloon!!! I like guacamole!! Not at first!! But U can make your own guacamole!! Do U make your own guacamole??!!
@1creekgirl (12432)
No, I've never gotten the hang of making it. I love it in a Mexican restaurant, though. Do you have a good recipe for making it?
@db20747 (10233)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@1creekgirl No!! I saw one on one of my sites!! I need to look it up!!!
@1creekgirl (12432)
@db20747 Let me know if it turns out well.
@cindiowens (4432)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I can't say any food really makes me do a happy dance, but I can never resist buying rice, macaroni, butter and canned tomatoes when I go grocery shopping. Whether I need them or not.
@1creekgirl (12432)
That's funny! I tend to not stock up because I go to Walmart often. Very often. But when I see a sale like these avocados, I can't resist.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@1creekgirl My stuff doesn't even have to be on sale.
@1creekgirl (12432)
@resukill22 (5647)
When I eat avocado I want it with milk and coconut juice. With little bit sugar
@1creekgirl (12432)
Wow, I never would have thought to eat it like that, but it must be good!
@1creekgirl yes the taste is good especially for dessert. Try it.
@leny34 (2192)
• Sidoarjo, Indonesia
yes I also like avocados, I always buy them for avocado juice, because in my opinion avocados contain lots of vitamins
@1creekgirl (12432)
That's good to know!
@leny34 (2192)
• Sidoarjo, Indonesia
@1creekgirl thank you ... you want to hear it
@betlynfrnds (1669)
Oh yes, I love avocados also. ( I also love your little happy dance girl. She's cute! ) Anyway, I know what you mean about being pricey. We got a four pack at Aldi's a few days ago. I don't remember how much they were but they were reasonable enough to end up in our shopping cart and eventually in my bowl in the kitchen. Bon appetit'
@1creekgirl (12432)
Thanks, I ate one half on toast and bacon for breakfast and just now ate the other half with salt and pepper.
@1creekgirl That is great. Avocados are so versatile like that.
That is super cheap for avocados! I guess do a happy dance when figs come around. Here we can get most fruits at anytime of the year - but not figs. I get a window to buy them from September to late October - and that's it. So I finished my happy dance not too long ago.
@1creekgirl (12432)
Do you bake with figs or just enjoy eating them? I've seldom had figs.
@1creekgirl I love eating them fresh - especially if they are perfectly ripe! I never appreciated them until a few years ago - I don't know how I missed out for so long! I've had baked fig things - but I do love fresh the best.
How To Freeze Avocados
Did you know that freezing avocados seriously works? Here are 4 Ways to Freeze Avocados so you can save loads of money when they're on sale!
@1creekgirl (12432)
Thanks! I read the info, but I have a question. Do you freeze the avocados with the skin still on or do you peel it first? I think I just read the answer from @GardenGerty!
You can half them, peel them, put in zipper back, remove the air and freeze them. You use one part at a time as you desire. Go get some more!!
@1creekgirl (12432)
Now that I know I can freeze them, I'll see if they're still on sale at Walmart. Thanks!!!
• Nigeria
I have a friend who loves avocado. I don't get to eat avocado frequently.
@1creekgirl (12432)
They're probably scarce in the markets there, huh?
That was a super deal on avocados! I agree in most places they are ridiculously expensive and too bad, because they are good for you..and I like them too.
@1creekgirl (12432)
I've read they really are healthy.
My husband and youngest daughter don't care for avocados, but the rest of us LOVE them. I buy them even when they aren't on sale since it's one of the few healthy foods that my son enjoys and it's one of the few high-fat foods that my older daughter enjoys. If there is a half of avocado left over I'll eat it with a spoon even without any seasoning.
@1creekgirl (12432)
I love to pour a little raspberry vinegar on it too.
• Davao, Philippines
yummy! its healthy, avocado is one of my favorite especially when to prepare green salad veggies and gourmet, i wish you could prepare breakfast that kind for me my new friend
@1creekgirl (12432)
It's easy, just spread the avocado on your toast, then add a fried egg and crispy fried bacon.
I have a lot of foods I like, some of what makes me "do my happy dance" are tacos, chili, enchiladas, peach tea, and esp. green apple Gatorade.
@1creekgirl (12432)
Wow, you had me hooked there until you said green apple Gatorade! I love everything else on your list.