BAD WORDS are NOT allowed in the CITY: "Is it GOOD or BAD?"

The City Mayor of Baguio had signed the ‘Anti-Profanity Ordinance’ 2 months ago. It means that the local people are not allowed to utter bad words within the city's establishments where students usually hang out during their free time or simply visiting these places. Thus, it is not allowed dirty, bad or foul words in the city. ‘Do you think that it is an achievable ordinance for the city?’ ‘Do you also practice this kind of rule in your place?’ “What do you think about it?’ Image Credit: pixabay.com
@sunrisefan (22447)
I wonder how that would be implemented on the President when he visits Baguio :)
That's what the local people thinking about him. What if he visits the city? It would be a big issue.
@sunrisefan (22447)
@Shavkat And the mayor might be cussed hehehe!
@mesbakh (2358)
i do like your comment
@ilocosboy (42081)
Too bad to our President Rody Duterte he will have hard time delivering his speech or else he will be penalized with the city ordinance.
That's the downside for him. I hope he will follow the simple rule that was implemented in the city.
@ilocosboy (42081)
The President should avoid any talking engagement in Baguio city.
@aureliah (21638)
• Kenya
That sounds like he is not a law abiding citizen.
@franxav (5940)
WE advise students to speak politely and in civilized manner but enforcing it with a rule is difficult.
I do agree on that. It will be difficult for them to monitor such rule. Regardless, I hope they just simply give directives to schools instead of having a strict rule about it.
When I was young, students were not allowed to say bad words in school and people who did in the public places were not very well looked.
I do agree with you. It is a common sense that people should say bad words. The self-discipline will always start at home.
@Shavkat My parents did not tolerate bad words.
@LadyDuck Same here, my friend. My mom will be going to freak out.
@cintol (9371)
How would they keep up with what people are saying unless they are yelling it, it would be a nice plan if they can make it work. Each establishment should get a swear jar and make them pay every time they swear, thats what we do lol
@sunrisefan (22447)
Your suggestion reminds me of my elementary and high school years when a classmate would list you down every time you spoke the dialect and there's a fine you have to pay for the infractions :)
@cintol I hope it can be done like that. Based on what I've read. The first offense will be giving doctrines to the offender. The second offense, it was specified the students will be suspended in the respective schools.
@cintol (9371)
@Shavkat Wow, well that should be incentive enough not to swear right! Hope it works
@porwest (11905)
I think it is a stupid and ridiculous ordinance. That being said, when I am in public I try to be mindful of other people and just be a responsible adult. But not everyone can be like that I suppose. I'm thinking to myself, it seems like the Philippines has way more other social and economic issues that would seem more important to deal with than this. THIS is how they spend their time?
It wasn't covered the entire Philippines. It is limited to my city. I find it weird, too. You have a point that this should not be a focus on. But, the real problem should be dealing with to help the local people.
@aureliah (21638)
• Kenya
If there is a list of bad words and a 1:1 authorities ratio to citizens it would help.
@aureliah I am sorry to say there is no list. But it could be a good basis.
• Calgary, Alberta
People will still cuss The term P.I is so satisfying to shout for them to stop it. I mean even the President is using it on his vocabulary.
I think it is fine if done in a proper venue.
• Uzbekistan
You should tell us how it works in Baguio, now that there is an experiment going on. Does it work? How does the population react? That is reality. Everything the members write is theory and not interesting. At least not for me.
It was just implemented. The feedback will follow soon. This is not a theory and it was being implemented.
Profane words are no longer allowed in places frequented by children, high school students, and college students in Baguio City after the city council passed the Anti-Profanity Ordinance. Current top breaking Philippine headlines regarding the nation, worl
• Pamplona, Spain
When or if everyone gets used to the idea of that they just might speak only good words and not the bad ones awfully hard that would be here I can tell you.
I do agree with you. It is so unbecoming for them to come up with such an idea.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Shavkat Just remembering that children are around helps to stop that kind of speech I think.
@lovinangelsinstead21 I do agree with you. For me, parents are responsible for molding their children not to speak bad words.
@JustBhem (47431)
• Davao, Philippines
I think it's okay. I don't mind hearing it but if that makes people better, why not practice it.
I think it is fine. I hope the implementation will be carried out effectively. I am not sure if the local people will embrace it.
@JustBhem (47431)
• Davao, Philippines
@Shavkat Well, it is only implemented in the government areas.
@JustBhem It is a good a thing that this ordinance is limited in the city. Perhaps if it becomes effective, then it will influence the other provinces and cities. How are you?
@ledante (1149)
• Taipei, Taiwan
Yet another instance of the nanny state trying to control how the populace thinks- this is the reverse of a government of, for and by the people. It is just oppression by another name...
I hope it doesn't sound like having a martial law with this new ordinance.
@ledante (1149)
• Taipei, Taiwan
@Shavkat then next no smoking in public
@ledante No smoking is being implemented a few years back here. It is not allowed to smoke in public around 2011.
It is a good strategy to make people disciplined. They can always speak theit bad words in their priivate space but at least, they will be careful not to use such words before other people. What a beautiful place it will be when people speak only decent words.
I hope it will work. Regardless, I do think that people from Baguio are respectful and polite.
I love that place and I have the desire to live there.
@hersmart4ever If you have the chance, please do live here. I must say that it is a peaceful place to live in.
@Shavkat So what happens if people utter a dirty or bad word? Do they have to put money somewhere or pay someone for each bad word they say?
The last time that I read about it. For the first offender, they will give them some doctrines about it. For the second time around, they will be out in jail. Let me get back to you about this.
@Shavkat They put them in jail for saying not nice words. That is something.
@Hannihar That's what they had imposed about it. I am not sure if it would be effective
@db20747 (12509)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
This is a very good ordinance!!! It may not work perfectly but it will reduce profanity!! Profanity should not be used around kids!!!!
I do think it is a good ordinance. Personally, it is best to give awareness of having a good habit of not saying bad words in the presence of kiddies. I hope it was not being created because of what is happening in the political arena here.
@db20747 (12509)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@Shavkat What is happening there??!!
@db20747 I think it is not that good. We are having a high inflation rate.
@shubhu3 (25768)
• New Delhi, India
It's difficult to get this rule working because in frustration people tend to use bad words.
I do agree with you. It would be a tough one for some who cannot conceal their feelings when saying bad words.
@shubhu3 (25768)
• New Delhi, India
@Shavkat Absolutely.
@nawala123 (4492)
your president is notorious
I think he is.
@nawala123 (4492)
@Shavkat do you think so?
@thelme55 (15888)
It is good. Too bad for the president when visiting Baguio.
I think it is good for the students to be polite at all times. I don't know what will happen if the President will visit the city
@thelme55 (15888)
@Shavkat we will see what will happen. He is always in the social medias.
@thelme55 I am sure he will.
@Janet357 (7741)
As long as it is implemented. Should be done not just in words but in deeds.
That's the big question. It was being restricted only in public. How about in homes, right?
@Janet357 (7741)
@Shavkat correct. It all starts from an individual, if he has self-discpline, that can be easily implemented
@Janet357 I am not sure what's really running into their minds in coming up with such an ordinance.
@rsa101 (16942)
• Quezon City, Philippines
For me it is more like a statement than a law since it would be hard to implement and enforce it since it would just be hard to pursue those that would say bad words. Your city would sure be flooded with violators because I know there are persons who uses this words regularly like it is a part of him already. As many are saying that would be awkward when the president would visit and does it.
You have a point about this concern. The ordinance is limited its coverage in residential or private areas. Thus, it would not be as effective as what the local official think. I think most people think that how the President reflects his real persona in the public. It cannot be denied in different ways.
@rsa101 (16942)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@Shavkat I guess it’s just a stand of your city that you despise it.
@rsa101 I guess. But I think it is a good idea for them. I just need to go along with the rule.
@aureliah (21638)
• Kenya
Is there a list of such words?
Unfortunately, there is no list of these profanity words.
@aureliah (21638)
• Kenya