Should the girls stop watching the Disney movies?

@nela13 (10346)
Portugal
Two weeks ago actress Keira Knightley forbided her three-year-old daughter from watching the Disney movies "Cinderella" and "The Little Mermaid". It was not the only one: several mothers of the film world did the same. Keira says in an interview with Ellen DeGeneres that she finds sexism in some old Disney films and does not want it to be absorbed by her daughter. For the actress, it is not normal that the prince kiss Snow White without her permission: "You can not kiss someone who is sleeping!". Did you think about it when you saw the movie? Was it just me who never thought of such a thing? My daughter loves Disney movies, I grew up watching disney movies and I think it didn't change the way I think now. As far as I am concerned I will let my daughter watch disney movies .
@sol_cee (18449)
• Japan
And then they would say animals shouldn't talk. Nor do objects. Or snowman.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
some people are trying to destroy children's world.
@nela13 You are right my friend, no place to dream.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@LadyDuck Every little girl loves to dress like a princess and live in their fantasy world, that is part of childhood, why destroy It with adults prejudices.
@ilocosboy (40575)
Too much sensitive, I think. I thought its how you explain to them and not prohibiting them. But its a good move for an American actress to do this to her child, its still a goid thing to do.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
We should explain the all idea of the movie and let children be children.
@ilocosboy (40575)
I believe in you.
I think that the world is becoming paranoid and this is horrible. Kids are innocent and there was nothing sexist in those movies, we loved them when we were kids, adults are ruining everything. Do they think it's better to let their kids play with their phone and to watch YouTube videos? Those are dangerous!
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Totally agree, I prefer my daughter to watch a princess movie than spend that playing video games.
@nela13 Some adults are ridiculous. Have you ever seen how cute are those little boys, no more than 3 years old that get up and kiss a little girl at the kindergarten? Is this sexism?
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@LadyDuck Yes, some adults have a terrible mind. My son had a girlfriend at the kindergarten, they were the sweetest thing
@Courage7 (22080)
Yes let her watch them. I dont listen to all that rubbish with their sexism..they have nothing better to talk about. I will always love Disney movies.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
People are going mad about sexism, these are just children's movies.
@Courage7 (22080)
@nela13 Indeed, carry on watching Maneula. Children enjoy them
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@Courage7 I prefer my daughter to watch a Disney movie than spend her time getting addicted to a video game.
They are being silly when they say things like that. People get offended by anything and everything today.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
True, people are getting paranoid about sexism, it is too much for ide Disney movies.
I think kids should watch it. I don't think it is such claimed by others.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
I have no problem in letting my daughter watching Disney movies.
@nela13 Most young girls still wanted to be a Disney Princess.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@Shavkat it is a fairy tale that helps children to dream and dress like a princess.
@dodo19 (34317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I can certainly understand her point, and it is a good one. But I'm not too sure it'll necessarily affect them.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
I think it won't, they are just children watching a fairy tale.
@dodo19 (34317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@nela13 Those are my thoughts as well. They're kids.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@dodo19 only adults have that kind of prejudice, for children is just a beautiful story.
• Uzbekistan
Why should a three-year-old child watch TV at all?
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Yeah, let's forbid children from watching TV
• Uzbekistan
@nela13 Maybe not children in general, but toddlers.
@simplfred (6212)
What movies should we let them watch, then. Even cartoons have some fight scenes. For me, I will let them watch disney movies with my guidance.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
People are getting paranoid about sexism. Boys can also complain that there are too much violence in their cartoons.
@cintol (8895)
My grand children will always watch the Disney movies just as my kids did. I think this world needs to slow their jets and stop reading something into every thing out there anymore. Things that have been fine for centuries are now sexist or degrading or something else. I think they need to let children be children and stop pushing all this crap on them. Just my opinion!!
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
I totally agree with you, this is going to far, it is just a fairy tale, I honestly think the movies have nothing wrong with it, there are worst things that should concern parents.
@cintol (8895)
@nela13 Exactly, all these activists seem to be just looking for something to rag about, leave the kids things alone, I am sure they watched them when they were little and didn't think anything about it then.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@cintol this sort of feminism is ridiculous, forbide a child to watch a disney movie is too much.
@mnglsp (1711)
For me, it is not bad to let them watch cartoons as long as you, as a parent will always guide your children.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
That is right, we all watched It when we were children and now we are adults mentally healthy.
@mnglsp (1711)
@nela13 What is your favorite cartoon movie when you were young?
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@mnglsp I liked the snow white.
• Croatia (Hrvatska)
It's her choice. Well, it's a cartoon but, I understand her point of view. Funny thing is I didn't like these 2 movies. I liked Pocahontas, Mulan, Hercules. Always something with action
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Merida is also a different princess as well as Moana.
• Croatia (Hrvatska)
@nela13 They are, indeed. I haven't watched Merida but, I like her red hair.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@moonandstars It is a good movie, Merida is Brave and she is an heroine.
@1hopefulman (35048)
I think she has a point! The prince should not have kissed Snow White on the lips but on the cheek. Would that have been better? What about mouth to mouth resuscitation should that all be stopped also?
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Ah ahahah good point, the person who is unconscious didn't allow it
@1hopefulman (35048)
@nela13 One can go too far, can't they?
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@1hopefulman Yes, it is a paranoid.
@sofssu (18782)
What about her child watching her mom's movies?? would that be banned as well?? If it is so mom should ban herself from acting.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Good point, what she does in a movie is not real life as well as it is the same with Disney movies.
If you go down this track, you would never watch your children watch anything. I tried to limit the amount of violence my kids watched but you can't shield them from everything. And I think children soon learn that these are just stories.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Yes, It is absurd forbidden children from watching Disney movies, they later understand that It was just a nice story to help they dream.
I have heard a lot of stories about Disney's princesses before like Snow white lives with 7 men, Cinderella is disobedient and Rupenzel let men into the house when mom is not at home. But my child still watches them. I think it is about what you as a parent does, more than what others do that impacts your child's life.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
It is true, what really matters is the education they receive from us
@Madshadi (9029)
• Brussels, Belgium
Never thought of that before and I don't think it would have that effect on children anyways.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Neither do I, I think it is more an adult paranoid.
@nela13 I thought the prince kissed snow white inorder to wake her up. I guess I look at it differently then they do. How do your girls react when they want the movies? If they just enjoy them then let them watch or maybe pick which ones that you feel are good for them to watch.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
i let my daughter watch all disney movies, I see no problem with it.
@nela13 It is up to you because you are the parent and if you do not see a problem then that is good.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@Hannihar I grow up watching these movies but now people see problems where they don't exist.
@rsa101 (16746)
• Quezon City, Philippines
I think they are just over reacting to the movies. I feel Disney movies are the safest movies children can watch. Although there may be some sexism in the stories but which movies does not depict as such. Most films cartoons or not is guilty of depicting sexism in their story. This celebrities are just seeking attention I guess from their fans.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
I think you are right, these celebrities want attention and by saying this people talk about them.
@rsa101 (16746)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@nela13 I have grown up to see disney movies all my life and never felt it as sexist. The storyline maybe because they base it in the times in the past that they saw women were less than men but it also shows the girls in the story as being strong and tries their best to excel from their roles.
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@rsa101 Yes, I grow up watching these movies and It doesn't change the way I think now. These movies are based in fairy tales and children love seeing a princess.
@Dyvette16 (2128)
• San Antonio, Texas
I guess we really don’t see things like this until we really pay attention , I’m sure kids would not understand at a young age the right and wrongs from a Disney movie more just the character they love
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
Children just like to see princesses and princes and enjoy the fairy tale, adults have no right to destroy children's world because of prejudices.
@Dyvette16 (2128)
• San Antonio, Texas
@nela13 yes exactly , they do not see the small things
@nela13 (10346)
• Portugal
@Dyvette16 and those small things are só important for children.