Day Five Without Caffeine

@kobesbuddy (59748)
East Tawas, Michigan
This has been a real struggle, going almost all week without a cup of caffeinated coffee. I've found a de-caffeinated brand that I really like, but it doesn't give me the power-lift that regular coffee gives. The first day, I felt like napping throughout the day, even though I didn't give in. The second day was a bit easier, as would be expected. By the fourth day, my old caffeine habit was letting up a bit and I had a lot more energy, without the help of a dangerous stimulant. The best part about all of this, my blood pressure has been fairly normal. Now, the end of this story isn't quite as good. I treated myself to a cup of latte this afternoon, which is made from espresso. It has a much higher caffeine content, than a simple cup of coffee. My thoughts are, a cup now and then isn't gonna do any harm. No different than a 100% beef hamburger once in a while, won't drive my cholesterol level through the ceiling! Am I out to lunch? Yes, I probably am, but oh well:) Photo: Borrowed from Pixabay
I have read many times that eating an apple does a better job in perking a person up than one cup of coffee. i have one cup in the morning, and that is all. Coffee with caffeine does give a short, but dramatic increase in blood pressure, but then blood pressure goes back to normal.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This afternoon, I needed to go pick Jay up from work. Instead of eating my normal snack, I grabbed an apple to munch on and took off. It kept my sugar level stable, until dinner time about two hours later.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@1hopefulman (35048)
I haven't had a cup of coffee in years and I have more than enough energy. Maybe healthy food works even better?
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, the healthier we eat, the better I feel:)
@sofssu (18782)
@1hopefulman You really don't drink coffee?
@1hopefulman (35048)
@sofssu I drink water, at least 4 cups a day. It's inexpensive, easy to make and may be the best liquid for our body.
@hillhjill (8964)
Good for you. I would have some killer kinda headache if I went that long without caffeine honestly.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It's my passion in life, a nice cup of real coffee:)
@hillhjill (8964)
@kobesbuddy That's what I'm drinking right now, it's a cold day and this coffee is awesome.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@hillhjill I just finished mine:) On a cold day I love drinking a nice, hot cup of coffee!
@Dyvette16 (2128)
• San Antonio, Texas
Yes it is okay to have one every once in a while , treat yourself for the good work (:
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Thanks, that's the way I view it also. Once in a while, isn't gonna hurt me.
@Dyvette16 (2128)
• San Antonio, Texas
@kobesbuddy very true , I hope you enjoy and keep up the great work (:
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Dyvette16 Thanks, so far I'm doing a lot better:)
@ledante (1157)
• Taipei, Taiwan
I wish you the best of luck
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Thanks, I'm doing pretty good, just drinking de-caf for a while.
@ledante (1157)
• Taipei, Taiwan
@kobesbuddy migrate to water, it's even better for you
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@ledante Yes, this is a very wise decision you've made, thanks!
Good for you! i don't like anything that tastes like coffee so i drink iced tea and have a hard time giving it up!
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I love ice tea, during the hot summer months.
@kobesbuddy I drink a lot of ice tea but i drink it throughout the year
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 It's delicious, for a nice drink to quench your thirst:)
@moffittjc (47555)
• Gainesville, Florida
I couldn't last half a day without caffeine! haha I really should cut back, but if I had one saving grace, it's that I drink about a gallon of water a day. But that still doesn't diminish the fact that I'm hopelessly addicted to caffeine. I used to drink sugary sodas all day long, which I've cut out now in place of water, but I still drink lots and lots of coffee.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I use to have a cup of caffeinated coffee or a sugar-free soda next to me, at all times. Now, I don't drink soda and about 1/2 as much coffee, which is still in excess of what I should be drinking.
@moffittjc (47555)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy I'm slowly starting to cut back on my coffee consumption. I used to drink about 5-7 cups a day, now I'm down to 2-3 cups per day. Not sure I can completely eliminate coffee from my diet (nor do I want to), but I wouldn't mind getting it down to one cup a day.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc I use to drink a lot of coffee, all day long. I cut back to about three cups a day, which for me was a God given miracle!Now, I drink one cup in the morning and it was hard work! lol
@stringer321 (3731)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
You are breaking the mith that cofee is healthy. They say it has some health advantages, but, you bring an evidence that it is addictive and not so healthy when taking...how much ? This is like struggeling an addiction, if it pops up into your mind a lot of time, your body signals it needs the caffein, then you have hard time. When you took the espresso, it gave your body some relief, but, it has taste for more, so the best way is to avoid it. I recommend you to drink cacao drink, coffee alternatives like some kinds of green tea, I think cacao drink can also help, lemon water.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Coffee does have good health properties. I'm not breaking the myth, saying that it's unhealthy! For some people, too much caffeine isn't good for them. If I'm allergic to fish, does that imply that fish aren't a healthy food for most people? Anyone can be sensitive to something they consume. Coffee is NOT an unhealthy beverage, for most people. I worked with mentally challenged students. They gave one boy caffeine all day long, to stimulate his brain into activity. It can be VERY beneficial!
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@kobesbuddy Thanks for the clarification, how much per day is too much for you ?
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@stringer321 I tried two cups and my BP went up high.
@aureliah (20780)
• Kenya
I'm happy that I'm not addicted to any kind of drink or food.
@aureliah (20780)
• Kenya
@kobesbuddy I know. I'm actually taking coffee at the moment.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@aureliah I missed my cup of coffee tonight, trying to settle my stomach a bit.
@aureliah (20780)
• Kenya
@kobesbuddy Hope ts better now
@porwest (10121)
I drink a LOT of coffee in the morning, and never once gave consideration to the thought that it might contribute to my high blood pressure. Giving up my caffeinated coffee would be EXTREMELY difficult. But I making some major changes to decrease my sodium...which is a chore in and of itself. I FAILED miserably on my last road trip for work. But now that I am back home I think I am back on track, and watching my sodium very closely. Even got some Mrs. Dash.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I use Mrs Dash for many things, to give foods a special flavor.
@porwest (10121)
@kobesbuddy I finally bought some of that, and so far so good. A little pricey, but still cheaper than a visit to the doctor's office.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@porwest The table spice, I'm not fond of. But, some of the other ones I really like.
I only like instant coffee but have restricted my intake recently. Every now and then I was getting pains in my stomach and if I cut down on the coffee they stop so I restrict myself to 2 or 3 cups a day now.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
From what I've been told, coffee has a high acid content. It bothered my stomach, when I drank too much coffee. Then, I started adding a little bit of milk and it helped.
@kobesbuddy That's interesting and would account for my feeling off.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv I don't drink 1/2 as much coffee, as I did before. It was a terrible habit to break!
whatever you like it will be fine.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
As long as I don't drink it every day, it won't hurt me!
@kobesbuddy That is good you should be fine then.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@sharon6345 Yes, caffeine once in a while won't do any harm.
@nawala123 (3759)
it is so hard for me. i am big fan of coffee
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Coffee is my favorite drink, of all!
@nawala123 (3759)
@kobesbuddy first coffee
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
• Anchorage, Alaska
i dont drink coffee but i drink soda and energy drinks often, so i know what it's like to try to remove caffiene from a diet to try to be healthier.
• Anchorage, Alaska
@kobesbuddy yep i know. but it's so addicting. and it sucks that there are so many that die from consuming energy drinks. i'm thinking i'm going to have to cut back on energy drinks or put a limit to how much caffeine i consume each day. i want to live a good long healthy life.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@jonnyartist Energy drinks are causing early deaths.
• Anchorage, Alaska
@kobesbuddy yeah thats a bummer. i hope that issue can be resolved, because i know energy drinks can become addicting. i'm glad that i'm smart enough to have a limit and to not become addicted and to not over do it.
@Tina30219 (37703)
• Onaway, Michigan
I wish you well on this. I tried decaf and could not stomach it but you need to do what you have to for your health.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Once my BP is stable enough, I'll be drinking a cup of regular coffee, in the morning.
@Tina30219 (37703)
• Onaway, Michigan
@kobesbuddy Right get that stable.first
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Tina30219 So far, it's dropping down a little at a time.
• Croatia (Hrvatska)
Maybe try shifting to tea?
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I really don't care for tea, that much.
• Croatia (Hrvatska)
@kobesbuddy there are some strong teas that can remind you of coffee. Ok...
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moonandstars I drank Caffix and Pero before and they are pretty good:)
I went on decaf a few years ago when my BP was out of control. I switched back to regular once the meds got it under control.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My BP was out of control, about a year ago. Now, it's down to the 140s/70s most of the time. My goal is 130s for the systolic. So far, it's going down but I still have issues with it.
@kobesbuddy I was on 3 medicines at one point. Then I started working out and lost 40+ pounds. Now I’m on 2 and the dosages are lowered.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@NJChicaa That's great, the weight-loss helped with your BP, I'm sure. At this time, I'm on four medications. For High BP, Depression, Cholesterol, and Blood-sugar. Eventually, I won't need the one for cholesterol any longer.
@sofssu (18782)
Hmm.. I wouldn't get past the first day.. You are very brave.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I fit a cup in, but never more than one each day.
@Deepizzaguy (15998)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
According to the advice from my doctors, eat and drink in moderation.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Caffeine makes my BP go high, so I can't drink it as before.
@dodo19 (34317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It can be a challenge to do this sort of thing. I know i would certainly struggle if I didn't have some caffeine.
@kobesbuddy (59748)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Some days I have to consume it, other days I don't.