Bugs Bunny Meals On Travel

@porwest (11778)
Oh this gosh darned salt restriction. I have probably had more salt than I am supposed to just because I was not involved in all of the holiday cooking, but I do also think I have done pretty well with it despite that. But next week I will be on the road again traveling for business and this will be a bit of a test for me. I THINK my plan is going to be to have salads most of the nights for dinner. I know there will be some sodium in the meat and the dressing. But I also think it will be far less than if I have a burger or something like that. I will be on the road Tuesday through Friday. Friday night I will be back home and cook and so I can control my sodium quite well. If I succeed in just having a salad for dinner on Tuesday night and Wednesday night, I might treat myself to a burger and fries on Thursday night and I think I should be okay. I will be taking some unsalted saltine crackers to snack on so I can take my blood pressure pills and to avoid stopping off for a fast food lunch snack. I think I should be fine. What say you? Do you think I can have a burger and fries on Thursday night if I am a good boy?
No, I am sorry. No burger and fries. And beware of any cheese on your salad due to the high salt content. And, for being a good boy, you will have veggies, plain veggies of various kinds.
@porwest (11778)
I am finding, though, the salad is no better than the burger. I am in a conundrum here.
@porwest You are in a pickle. The dressing, the cheese and other ingredients many not do a body good.
@hillhjill (11947)
Lol I think if you are a good boy you can have it, just ask for no salted fries and it's hard to tell with all the stuff they but in and on burgers if the salt will be ok.
@porwest (11778)
Looks like anything fast food is just going to be salt laden. Ugh.
@hillhjill (11947)
@porwest Ugh that does suck.
@porwest (11778)
@hillhjill It does. I am just going to have a couple of McRib sandwiches. Puts me at about 1790, and my limit is 2000. Going for broke here.
I suppose one burger wouldn't hurt, but I'd get rid of the bun, cheese, ketchup, and ditch the salty fries.
@porwest (11778)
But if I do that, what fun would that be?
@porwest It's your call!
@porwest (11778)
@DianneN Looks ,like a healthy salad is not healthy at all, when it comes to salt at least. Ugh.
@porwest Actually you need to decide for yourself if you should have a burger and fries.
@porwest (11778)
After I realized that a salad is no better than the burger and fries when it comes to salt content, I told the salads to go to hell.
@porwest So they ran with their legs between their tails?
@porwest (11778)
@Hannihar Something like that. Although, if my salads start running around I might need to set up an appointment with a shrink right quick.
@Karenmm (904)
• Nairobi, Kenya
No burger and fries for you
@porwest (11778)
So I have been told.
@Karenmm (904)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@porwest don't worry there is a next time.
@porwest (11778)
@Karenmm One can only hope, right?
@Nevena83 (10491)
• Serbia
NoYou have to worry about your health.
@porwest (11778)
But a "healthy" salad, apparently, if it is my salt I am worried about, appears to not be healthy at all.
@Nevena83 (10491)
• Serbia
@porwest Then reduce the salt intake.
@porwest (11778)
@Nevena83 Easier said than done. Even a salad is LOADED with salt.
So are they sure that too much salt is affecting your blood pressure?
@porwest (11778)
Well, that is what the doctor thinks. Who knows?
@porwest I can understand you needing to cut down but it seems you go to a lot of trouble to try to cut out virtually all salt.
@porwest (11778)
@JudyEv Doc says to keep it under 2000 mg a day. It makes it virtually impossible. I was even looking at McDonald's, for example, to see how much sodium was in their salads. 1000-1200 mg. I suppose it is still better than the hamburgers which are nearly 2000.
@aureliah (21614)
• Kenya
Being on the road is tricky when you have food restrictions or on a diet as you are not in a position to prepare your own meals but I hope that you managed it the best way possible
@porwest (11778)
I failed miserably. When I discovered a salad has as much, or more salt than a hamburger, I opted for the hamburger. lol
@aureliah (21614)
• Kenya
The limit from most dietetic literature is 3,500mg per day. I believe if you drink a generous amount of water you can have some balance there. Make your own salad, you can't really trust what you don't make yourself as far as content goes. There are plenty of alternatives to salad that are way better. In the end, salads aren't exactly nutrient rich on average.
@porwest (11778)
What I'd give for that extra 1500 mg. lol. But the doc says keep it under 2000. I suppose in the end it's all about balance and moderation. Eating out makes it almost impossible, but thankfully I rarely eat out—but that darned traveling for work. I'm doomed on those days.
@FayeHazel (23454)
I won't tell on you if you have that burger. "Mrs. Dash" actually isn't too bad
@porwest (11778)
Yeah. I need to check it out.
SO, Mr. Domino`s does wanna live to be an old man. Thursday burger day, to have cake and eat it too, so to speak, just have an extra large burger and skip the fries.make it even less salty skip the cheese. But do as you please, I am just a caregiver giving advice I would tell the person I am tending.
@porwest (11778)
Then I am looking at the salads and realize even they are loaded with salt, 1000-1300 mg depending on which one you get. I am finding it is virtually impossible to avoid salt. Doc says keep it under 2000 mg per day. I am wondering if I can just say, keep it under 14,000 a week and spread it out and still maintain what the doc wants.
I would recommend having a burger without bread and a baked potato. If you eat clean you can still enjoy your food.
Having to restrict your diet is definitely difficult...I have to cut out the sugar/carbs so no fries for me either. I can have a burger though, as long as I don't eat the bread! Good luck on sticking with it while you are on the road!
@Deepizzaguy (16438)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
One burger and fries should not harm you. Eat in moderation.