Salted Bullcrap

@porwest (11778)
I swear, I am losing my ever loving mind with this whole salt restriction thing. I am on the road traveling again, and so my options are limited. I was thinking McDonald's tonight since there is one very close to the hotel I am staying at, and I can of course look at their menu online and look at nutrition information. As I wrote before, I was thinking about just going with a salad. But, if it is salt I am trying to avoid, it appears that having a healthy salad is no better than having a hamburger. At the low end a McDonald's salad has about 1100 mg of sodium. On the high end it will have about 1300 mg of sodium. Not that long ago I mentioned wanting to have a McRib since it is back on the market again. If I opt for a McRib it has only 890 mg of sodium. Granted, I usually want two of these since one just won't fill me up. So, now I am looking at 1,780 mg. Or I could have a McRib and an order of fries. Then my sodium count is 1240 mg, about the same as the salad I would have otherwise chosen. I am supposed to keep it under 2,000 mg of sodium per day. I did not really eat anything all day except for about 17 saltine crackers with unsalted tops...that gave me 119 mg of sodium. So, if I go with 2 McRib sandwiches for the day I will be at about 1,899 mg of sodium for the day, still below my 2,000. Whatever my decision, I just know this is a lot of math and a total pain in the ass. What say you? P.S. I swear I will not be posting as much about sodium soon.
It's probably not much help but I'd be having two strawberry sundaes or maybe a banana split or two.
@porwest (11778)
Those sound good. But I need a dinner.
If you ask for the fries unsalted, that will cut down some of your sodium. If you have a meatless salad, you should have no sodium. Can't help you with the McRib. Your other option would be to stop at a grocery store and pick up fresh. Fresh doesn't have sodium. I'm talking fruits and veggies of course. You'd run into the same sodium problem with the deli. Now, you know why I don't do fast food.
@porwest (11778)
My brother in law mentioned fast food as the culprit the other day as well, and it's not just fast food. EVERYTHING we eat is loaded with salt. Anything processed, anything at any restaurant, including salads which we think of as healthy are loaded with salt. If you start thinking about the fact that we only need 500 mg per day to survive, and it is recommended we stay under 2000 a day, and start looking at nutritional info on restaurant websites and start looking at the sodium content in most everything we buy and eat, you start to see that what we wind up with is somewhere around 3500 to 5000 mg a day without even thinking about it.
@porwest That's one reason I cook from scratch and do most of my eating at home. I might eat out once or twice a month with a friend from church. I'm very picky about the menu because of the diet I'm on. I don't buy any of those preservative-laced foods as I know the sodium content is super high in them. You won't find salt in anything I cook. I know you don't have that option, but maybe there's something you can do. You did say you look for hotel rooms with refrigerators, so maybe bring your own. Just a thought.
@porwest (11778)
@just4him I could do what you suggest and bring my own. Harder to keep food in a cooler I suppose for 4 days. But it is an option.
@Nevena83 (10491)
• Serbia
I do not get too much salt in my body, but my child has all the extra salt.
@porwest (11778)
Most of the salt we eat is hidden. If you eat anything that comes from a box or a can, it is LOADED with salt. If you start looking at the sodium on anything you buy...it really starts to floor you when you think the body only needs 500 mg a day to survive. It adds up VERY quickly if you are not watching it. Not sure my BP issues are a result of just my salt intake over the years. Probably other habits, stress, and other things were contributing factors. But AFTER the fact it definitely becomes an issue.
@Nevena83 (10491)
• Serbia
@porwest I believe you. I know that there are many hidden salts, but I almost do not eat anything preserved.
@porwest (11778)
@Nevena83 I try not to, but it still can be difficult.
@FayeHazel (23454)
I don't blame you.... don't worry sodium posts don't bore me. I would be frustrated, too. It is amazing how sometimes salads aren't as good as a person thinks they are. I like salad, but only with lots of stuff on em. I suppose that defeats the purpose. I would go 2 McRibs. (favorite of mine, too) I feel the dilemma. I don't much like the Mc fries - and 1 sandwich (with nothing else) just doesn't fill me up. OF course I could mention that they will sell you the "apple slices" that are a happy meal option. SOmehow it just doesn't seem as tasty as an extra sandwhich
@porwest (11778)
That's the way I am. Give me the whole enchilada (just using that figuratively ) I want the cheese and the eggs and the croutons and the bacon bits and the meat... The biggest issue really is that I am on the road. I even went to Fresh Thyme trying to find a snack. EVERYTHING is loaded with salt. So, I either starve or I eat the damn salt. Today I was so frigging hungry I broke down and said screw it and got me a McDouble for lunch. That's about 800 mg. Who knows what I am going to eat tonight. Last night I wound up getting a mushroom and swiss burger and a large fry since McDonald's ran out of McRibs. I swear I am batting a thousand. On the apple slices...I just can't do them. Although I may have to start trying to force it down. I said to @adriaperry the other day I wondered if I could just keep it under 14,000 a week instead of trying to worry about the 2000 a day. If I have, say, 5000, one day, I just have to have less the other 6. Or something like that. But NOW I am wondering if I can just say keep it under 730,000 mg a year.
@FayeHazel (23454)
@porwest I love enchiladas too! Let's put a couple of those on the salad muahahaha! :-D Salt sounds worse than carbs. Hidden in everything. I was going to get a McRib yesterday and it must be a chain wide thing. They were out. That sucked. ! Hm, maybe that would work, so you're over one day, so less the next. I hope you find something that works well. How irritating
@porwest (11778)
@FayeHazel I have found that "healthy" alternatives are just loaded with salt. I had salmon with mashed potatoes and broccoli yesterday at Applebees and the entire plate had almost 3000 mg of salt, but all of the items on the plate are considered healthy. Applebee's salads have more salt than McDonald's salads, and more salt than a Reuben at Culver's which is known to be loaded with salt. It boggles the mind.
I have no advice for you, why? You can do the math.
@porwest (11778)
You sound like you are scolding me. Are you scolding me?
@porwest No, I am picking at you. It comes easy ever since you said high BP and needed a low salt diet. And you tell what yummy fast. food you eat.
@porwest (11778)
@andriaperry There is just no healthy alternative on the road. I am at a loss as to what I can eat. I even went to Fresh Thyme. Nope. Nothing there that isn't loaded with salt. lol. I swear I am losing my mind.
how much salt are we allowed to have ?Never know about tthis.
@porwest (11778)
According to what I have read we only need about 500 mg a day to survive. Published recommendations are to keep it under 1500. My doc says keep it under 2000. Boy, that is a REALLY hard thing to do.
@cintol (9311)
Wow, I never realized those salads had that much sodium in them, I don't eat out much at all. I understand about the sodium, I am not allowed more than 1000 mg in a day which is hard because it is in EVERYTHING!! I would go with the McRib if I were you, you might as well be full because you won't be with a salad.
@Deepizzaguy (16438)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
There are reports from Gabe Zolna who discusses politics and other events on Bit Chute and Real.Video that the fast food industry are trying to poison us with foods that are not healthy anymore.
All that counting can certainly make one dizzy. I never really think about salt content but probably I should. I have discovered that I used to love eating French fries with .plenty of salt and now I manage with just a dash and a good sprinkle of lemon juice.
@hillhjill (11947)
That would drive me crazy as well. I hope you can figure out what to eat without going batty lol. It must be hard because salt it everywhere and I makes food taste better.
@CarolDM (12568)
Fast food is never a good place for low sodium as you are finding out. Have you thought about a local grocery store for fresh veggies. Just an option I am throwing out. You might throw it back.