Happy Hanukah

Photo taken by author
Laguna Woods, California
Happy Hanukah to all the Jewish members of MyLot. In Laguna Beach, they set up an annual menorah made of surfboards on Main Beach, which I thought I would share with my friends here. I hope this Festival of Lights is a special time of faith, love, forgiveness and sharing for everyone. I am adding this information from @Hannihar ... a Jewish member of MyLot who lives in Israel. "Thank you Deborah-Diane. It is not a Menorah though. A Menorah has 7 branches and the 8th is to light all the candles with. What the boards are is a Hannukia. That means there are 8 to light and the 9th is called the Shamash which lights all the candles. I know a lot of people say it is a Menorah with 9 but there is a difference and I wanted to clear that up. Hannuka is a holiday where the oil was only suppose to burn for one night but there was enough oil to burn for 8 days and that is why we celebrate Hannuka for 8 days,. We give gifts, light candles, eat potato pancakes or other things and eat jelly donuts. What is interesting Hannuka is spelled in many ways but the only way that it is the same is the spelling in Hebrew which cannot be written here."
Love the photo. I am not of this faith but I do remember that friends who celebrated Hannukah would always recite for me now remember we have 8 days of Hannukah and you have 12 days of Christmas/ Happy Hannukah!
• Laguna Woods, California
@RasmaSandra - Thank you! I am a Christian, but we have a very multi-religious family with Christians, Jews and Muslims. We all get along and respect each others' faiths. I wish this were true worldwide.
@DeborahDiane so do I. It sounds wonderful to be so close and full of love.
• Laguna Woods, California
@debjani1 (3965)
Wishing you all a very happy HANUKKAH. May this lights may lighten up your life forever.
• Laguna Woods, California
@debjani1 - Thank you for the good wishes!
@debjani1 (3965)
@DeborahDiane you are always welcome.
• Walnut Creek, California
Light is probably better than darkness.
@sallypup (30134)
• Moses Lake, Washington
We're listening to Jewish short tales right now on NPR. Fun to listen to.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - How wonderful. NPR provides such high quality, multi-cultural programming!
@sallypup (30134)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DeborahDiane There's more programs based on Hannuka tonight. Music and stories.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - Enjoy this special family time. I have a son-in-law who is Jewish and our daughter is raising their son in the Jewish faith. They live near my son-in-law's family, so they celebrate the holidays in New York City with them. I'm sure they are doing many of the same things.
That is so cool! My grandkids are celebrating tonight, but it's not a religious holiday, so we did our own thing.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - I'm glad you like this menorah. I did not want to be disrespectful, but it was put up by the Chabad in Laguna Beach and the Jewish woman I walk with assured me that it was appropriate. I love it. It seems so perfect for a beach town, and they light it each evening during Hanukkah. I don't know if you can see in the photo the little lights at the top of the surfboards.
@DeborahDiane The Chabad is an extremely religious group. I found it very surprising that they weren't more conventional, but happy to see their sense of humor. It goes so well in a beach town. I do see the lights. I love the entire concept!!!
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Yes, I'm sure they would have been welcome to put up a more conventional display, but this one does show a sense of humor and it does fit well in our beach town. I love it! I'm sure it took quite a bit of work to design it, wire it and create it!
@franxav (5939)
Happy to know about it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@franxav - I was happy to share this!
• Walnut Creek, California
I love the surf boards. I thought they were bananas at first. With all due respect, I must disagree with @Hannihar. Older menorahs had seven candles. But after the Jews recaptured a temple from the Persians, and the olive oil there burned for eight days (there was only enough oil for one day), nine-candle menorahs arose and were called Hannukias. But they were a kind of menorah. So to say they're not menorahs would not be right. (Correct me if I'm wrong. I just like arguing.)
@TheHorse The Horse it was the Greeks that Judah Maccabee fought. Yes in the Temple they had a Menorah which is 7 candles and the 8th is the Shamas that lights all the candles but here in Israel we have what you call Hannukiot and that is what we light. A lot of people say Menorahs but that is not true. A Hannukia has 8 light that we light each night but the one that lights it is the Shamash which is the 9th one on the Hannukia. So sorry you were wrong and that is a mistake a lot make. You are wrong and I like to explain things the way they should be explained because even Jews do not explain our holidays or customs right. If I do not know the answer I go and get a link but this I do know. I thought I would put this here for you The Horse so you know who was defeated: Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of lights, celebrates the Maccabean Revolt (167-160 BCE), and the narrative that Jewish rebel Judas Maccabeus vanquished the evil Greek emperor Antiochus and rededicated the Temple, at which the miracle of the
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - Thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate learning more about your faith.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Hannihar So this one was Greeks, not Persians?
@responsiveme (18479)
Happy Hannuka. That is a good decoration for a beach town
• Laguna Woods, California
@responsiveme - Yes, I thought it was a good decoration in Laguna Beach, too!
• Walnut Creek, California
@DeborahDiane Apprpos. And slightly funny, in the Jewish tradition..
That is a really lovely idea. We should do more of this type of celebrating for all religions.
That is very original.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - I love it. It is so unique.
Happy Hanukkah to all of the Jewish members.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - Yes, Happy Hanukkah to all the Jewish members. I love to respect and honor the celebrations of others.
The family of my husband used to celebrate Hanukkah. My husband still celebrates the “festival of lights,” by lighting a menorah during 8 days. It's not a religious tradition for him, it's just a family tradition.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Others have also told me that is not so much a religious tradition as a family tradition. I think it is a beautiful one.
@DeborahDiane This one is not religious, it is a beautiful one.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - You are right. It is definitely not religious, but it is beautiful.
I love learning new things and I did not realize there are only 8 candles on the symbol
• Laguna Woods, California
I learned something new, too. I was glad I wrote this post.
@DeborahDiane I might have mentioned this before but myLot is a great learning resource center
• Laguna Woods, California
@enlightenedpsych2 - Yes, I have learned a lot on MyLot. The other day, my husband and I were watching a TV show which was set in Australia and we had a question about it, so I contacted @ JudyEv and asked her if it was true (which it was.) It is a great resource!
@DeborahDiane Thank you Deborah-Diane. It is not a Menorah though. A Menorah has 7 branches and the 8th is to light all the candles with. What the boards are is a Hannukia. That means there are 8 to light and the 9th is called the Shamash which lights all the candles. I know a lot of people say it is a Menorah with 9 but there is a difference and I wanted to clear that up. Hannuka is a holiday where the oil was only suppose to burn for one night but there was enough oil to burn for 8 days and that is why we celebrate Hannuka for 8 days,. We give gifts, light candles, eat potato pancakes or other things and eat jelly donuts. What is interesting Hannuka is spelled in many ways but the only way that it is the same is the spelling in Hebrew which cannot be written here.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - I loved your explanation so much that I am going to copy it and include it in the post above. I hope others will read the edited version. Thank you so much for enhancing my post in this way!
@DeborahDiane Thank you and you are so welcome.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a "Laguna" way to observe the day!
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - It is very "Laguna," isn't it? LOL
That's an interesting Menorah.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - Yes, it is a very unique menorah, but perfect for Laguna Beach!