Lend Me Your Ear

My grandmother's ear
I hope this picture isn't too graphic for you. Some of you know my grandmother (my late mom's mother) is in an assisted living facility because she couldn't take care of herself and her good for nothing son. He eventually was forced to go to a nursing home where he belongs (he's 62, but due to his own lying and stupidity he needs help). So my grandmother fell asleep on her love seat, and fell over. Unfortunately, she fell into a little glass church my late grandfather got her 40 years ago. It has a steel steeple, and it split her ear. So my sister gets a call at 11pm (she lives closest about 30 minutes away), and the assisted living center was asking her what to do. She's like, call 911, and I'll meet them at the hospital (there was a very bad storm that night). So she has outpatient surgey, and she was back at the facility by 6am. Bless her heart! By the way, my horrible uncle got kicked out of his nursing home last week. Thankfully, my grandmother is okay.
Nasty cut, I am really glad your grandmother is OK.
Kicked out the nursing home.Was he being bad there.Why is he so horrible there.Where did he go
He kept running over people's feet with his electric wheelchair. They told him he had to start using a manuel wheelchair. He threatened to sue them, and they were like, that's it. You have to find another place. Knowing him he's been verbally abusive for awhile.
@AmbiePam that is so weird there.
@rakski (24380)
oh my. Lucky that only a split ear happened and not more serious one. I hope everything is fine with your grandma
I am so sorry this happened to your dear grandmother. My dad was in an assisted living facility in which he had a nice apartment. He liked it there very much, but when he was age 94, they just could not provide the medical care he needed. Where will your uncle live now?
He'll be assigned a case worker to help find another nursing home. He was so foolish. It was a good nursing home as far as nursing homes go. My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility, but she estimates she is about one of six residents "all there". Having been there myself, I think she's right. But the memory center for the dementia care people is so full they tend to keep patients in assisted living even if they are wearing their underwear outside their pants. The memory care is behind assisted living. A courtyard separates them.
• Uzbekistan
That is a very odd accident. Good to hear that all went well in the end. A small comfort: If you cut your ear, the pain is not too bad. It can't be compared to cuttings other parts of the body. Once a hairdresser cut my earlobe by mistake. I was surprised how little it hurt.
She said the blood was what caught her off guard. Who knew the ear would bleed that much!
• Midland, Michigan
So that's actually what happened to your grandmother's ear, as far as the image? It was a bit graphic, but I thought you pulled that from the internet. I can't imagine splitting one's ear in that manner and I'm glad they were able to surgically repair her ear. Did this just happen? How is she healing? Is grandma in her eighties or thereabouts and doing well mentally? My mom is 90 and also in a facility but one that caters to those with dementia although there are others there that are in better health. I know that if my mom fell like that the hospital would have to put her out completely in order to repair the ear, as my mom wouldn't understand and I don't think she'd let them work on it if she were partially awake. I'm guessing with outpatient surgery she'd be somewhat awake and they'd merely numb the ear and area?
• Midland, Michigan
@AmbiePam that's pretty young for dementia. Not unheard of but still young. Was she worried about getting it as she got older?
@MarshaMusselman Due to a cat scan they told her she'd have it young. She had great faith and never lived in fear. She was 46 when she was diagnosed, and when you have dementia all worry bets are off.
• Midland, Michigan
@AmbiePam That's great to hear that she didn't fear that diagnosis, Amber. Then you can introduce us when we get to heaven.
What a way to live good grief. How is the ear doing now? The image causes me to lose the desire for my food in the microwave. I am hoping those pain meds are on the hour.
She said she didn't need a pain killer after the first day it happened. She gets her stitches out in two weeks. My sister said you can't even tell a difference the surgeon was so good.
@AmbiePam what a blessing that is and I am so glad I don't keep hazards like that around here. I have fallen quite a few times. I am even worried about my coffee table. I am trying to find an ottoman. Good news for her for sure.
@FayeHazel (23454)
Oh ow. Poor grandma. I hope she heals well. Where do they expect uncle to go?
You mean besides hell? Sorry, I couldn't resist. A case worker has been assigned to help him find another home.
@FayeHazel (23454)
@AmbiePam Ha ha, no I shouldn't laugh but yeah. I'm happy the case worker is busy finding him a place far away from the rest of family I hope
Ouch! I'm glad your sister had the smarts to know to call 911! So happy she's okay. So where is your uncle going to live?
A case worker is supposed to help him finding another one. He's such a mess. The one he's in was a good one.
@AmbiePam It figures. Sorry.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Wow, pretty graphic. Did she get stitches? Seems very painful and it is certainly a horrible accident to have happened. I am so glad she got treated. How did you respond when you saw this?
Yes, they sewed her up in surgery.
Oh my goodness I hope that she is not in too much pain.
No, not at all.
@Karenmm (904)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I didn't know people can get out of nursing homes
They just transfer you to another.
Oh my goodness, well I am glad she is back to the home all sown up. Now where is your uncle going to go?
Another nursing home will have to take him. He has 30 days.
Its too bad that your grandmother fell and happened to land just on that steeple and hurt herself. I'm glad that it wasn't really serious. If the nursing home kicked out your uncle, where to now?
A case worker is supposed to help him find another one. He has 30 days before he has to leave.
@mom210 (7008)
I am so glad your grandma is okay, falls for older people can be very bad
I'm sorry that happened to your grandmother. I'm glad she's okay. Sorry about your uncle.
Ouch that looks so bad. Glad she got it fixed.
• Bekasi, Indonesia
I can't bear to see the photo and I feel very sorry for the grandmother
Glad that your grandmother is doing okay.
Oh my goodness, I quickly scrolled the photo, but now I need to go get a coffee. I am not very brave when I see blood. I am sorry for your grandmother.