Learned Something While Out

@CarolDM (12568)
Had to run some errands all day today. I stopped by the local Family Dollar store to pick up cat litter, laundry detergent, things I can get cheaper than other stores. There was a Store Closing sign on the front door. The employees said they have not received a truck in over two weeks. That was the first sign to them they were closing perhaps. Nothing from management. Then the UPS driver dropped off a package which included a "store closing kit". Surprise! That is how they knew they would be losing their jobs in a few weeks. Pretty bad management if you ask me. I understand why they are closing. Dollar General has pretty much taken over the market. But have a little respect for your employees. Now right here at Christmas they will be trying to find another job. Stores will be closing in January. Feel sorry for the employees. Respect goes a long way in life. So that has been my day. How has yours been?
Dollar Tree lists the locations of 330 Family Dollar stores across the country that it will sell, ahead of the dollar store chains' merger.
I did not know Dollar Tree had bought out Family Dollar.
@CarolDM (12568)
I didn't either and Dollar General is buying most of what is left.
I heard this rumor a while back there. Never shop at any dollar stores.
@CarolDM (12568)
Dollar General in TN is doing great. Their headquarters are here, so their stores are on every corner. I enjoy shopping these stores.
@CarolDM Never been in one.Then again do not need anything.I have it all here
@CarolDM (12568)
@amadeo Good for you and have a great evening.
@rakski (24380)
oh my that is such a bad news for those employed there.
@CarolDM (12568)
Yes it really is sad for many.
@rakski (24380)
@CarolDM true for those who will be unemployed this season will be worse experience
@CarolDM (12568)
@rakski Yes you are right sadly.
I agree, very bad management and horrible time of the year to let people know that they are jobless.
@CarolDM (12568)
Yes it is so rude. Karma will come back to them for sure.
@CarolDM I believe in Karma, they will not escape.
That's sad that a lot of Family Dollar stores are closing! I looked on the list and for now the store in my town is safe. But that is not very professional of the management for sure! Sad that they are closing down just around the holidays, that's heartbreaking for those involved!
@CarolDM (12568)
Yes it is Courtney. Very sad at the holidays especially. It will be in January but still they know soon they will be unemployed.
@CarolDM Yes, so instead of enjoying the holidays they have to think about finding new jobs. So unfair!
@porwest (11778)
Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and stores like it have done EXTREMELY WELL over the past decade or so. BUT, we have to keep one thing in mind. Trump is president now, and the economy is doing EXTREMELY WELL. More people are working, taxes are lower and paychecks are higher, and so people are going to be more willing to spend more money and "treat" themselves. And so the more the economy is booming, the less people are forced to look for bargains, and the more willing they might be to splurge and spend more elsewhere. That is not an entirely bad thing, mind you. THAT being said, none of these kinds of stores where I live have shown any signs of losing business, so it might just be a geographical thing in your area.
@CarolDM (12568)
You are right and kudos to you for saying the economy is improving. Most will not admit it. Family Dollar is closing stores all over the country.
@porwest (11778)
@CarolDM The dollar stores which include 99 Cents, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree, among others did VERY well during the recession. But that stands to reason. As the economy improves and people have more disposable income, these stores will have a tougher time getting people into their stores. Even Walmart will suffer to stores like Target where people feel they are treating themselves a bit with more money in their pockets. Just trends. Nothing new here.
@hillhjill (11947)
That's so sad that has to happen to them, and yes she has took over pretty much. I worked at a dg for awhile and loved it and I'm always going in there for something I need. Hopefully those people will be getting unemployment check to help out.
@CarolDM (12568)
I hope so but a lot of them were part time. And some just holiday help.
@hillhjill (11947)
@CarolDM That is still so sad. I would sue if the mgt never told me that the store was going out of business and give me time to find a different job.
Very rude of the management to treat their employees this way.
@CarolDM (12568)
Indeed it was rude, no reason for it.
@JESSY3236 (8082)
I didn't know that Family Dollars were closing. I know there have been alot of Dollar Generals popping up. I had to get cat litter this past weekend too.
@CarolDM (12568)
Over 300 are closing in January, not sure if they are all closing, but they will eventually. They have been bounght out by Dollar Tree.
@Courage7 (26754)
Oh gosh that is so sad for the people working there.
@CarolDM (12568)
Yes I know, and I told them all I was sorry. They were all disappointed.
• Croatia (Hrvatska)
This is not right.
@CarolDM (12568)
Nope it is not, people can be so rude.
Good grief. Maybe they were afraid they'd quit on them, but that's still no excuse.
@CarolDM (12568)
Maybe so but it is called respect and no reason for their behavior.
Those dollar stores really help out sometimes.
@CarolDM (12568)
Yes they absolutely do.
@db20747 (12446)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Family dollar up the street always is closing!! BUt then they open back up again once they get food cerification and meet the inspector's standards!!!! This is a good store!!
@CarolDM (12568)
You better check with them. Of course yours may not be closing, the list above in the link I provided is only 300 stores.
Oh, that is so sad. Not a good way to learn that a job-loss is in the future. Hopefully, the employees will be able to find other jobs.
@CarolDM (12568)
I know, my heart goes out to all the families.
@wolfgirl569 (16548)
• Marion, Ohio
That is the wrong way to do things. But better than a pizza chain did here. The morning shift showed up for work to find a sign that said out of business.
@CarolDM (12568)
Yes but it happens way too often. Karma will get these people.
@dya80dya (9120)
Management was rude. I hope they will receive what they deserve.