This Stink Bug Had a Wild Ride This Morning

If any living thing ever takes over the world, I am betting on the stink bug. Stink bugs come to our area in August. Stink bugs only stink if you happen to accidentally squish one. Stink bugs have an unpleasant, medicinal smell if squished. Stink bugs love to congregate on light-colored homes when summer heat is high and ours is a light-colored house. Due to our dog Molly having a doggy door, a few stink bugs made their way inside our home this summer. I just take a plastic bag, pick up the stink-bug intruder and place his little self outdoors where he belongs. I decided to wash the valance that is above our kitchen window this morning, and hiding behind that valance were a few stink bugs. Poor little things were just trying to stay warm, but I do not want stink bugs in my house. I did not know a stink bug was clinging to the valance when I tossed the valance in the washing machine and then in the dryer. What a wild and hot ride that poor stink bug had this morning. I could not believe that he was still alive after being washed and dried. He looked a bit sickly when I used a plastic bag to remove him from the dryer. I believe he is missing a front leg. The legs he had left were still moving when I placed him outdoors, but I do not think he will survive in the cold. I am sorry little stink bug.
Oh my, I hope it did not transmit a bad smell to your dryer. They are unbreakable.
Luckily, I had a scented fabric softener sheet in the dryer and he did not become squished. Squished is when the smell result.
@Corbin5 ome here release the smell even if you simply touch them. Sometimes I get them gently with a paper tissue and throw them outside. The tissue smells so bad that I have to throw it.
@akalinus (22987)
@Corbin5 Nasty is as nasty does. Or something like that.
@moffittjc (47533)
• Gainesville, Florida
I do not like stink bugs at all. They are a problem here in Florida pretty much on a year-round basis due to our climate, but thankfully I never had any issues with one getting inside my house. For us, the worst possible bug would be the palmetto bug, which is basically a giant cockroach. I had one of those get inside my house once and I about burned down the place trying to kill it.
Oh dear, the Palmetto bug would definitely freak a human out, big time. I am amazed that once inside, stink bugs find a spot and do not move. Due to Molly having the doggy door, and due to Molly wanting us to come into the backyard and play with her all the time, stink bugs made their way in.
@moffittjc (47533)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 I'm just glad that you found them once they got inside!
@moffittjc I found one today on the side of the kitchen cabinet. Poor thing is outside now, but it is cold out there and he won't survive. Sad state of affairs.
@akalinus (22987)
When I saw your post, I suddenly had a wild thought. What if stink bugs and roaches interbreed to start a new species. What would they be like?
Oh dear. That would be Super Bugs!
@akalinus (22987)
@Corbin5 It would be horrible, super horrible. Like if spiders ever learned to fly.
@akalinus Flying spiders would be just awful! Yikes!
@tech40 (10574)
It seems big in the picture. It is a big or small bug?
It is not a big bug. A bit bigger than a fly.
@tech40 (10574)
@Corbin5 Does that little bug can fly?
@tech40 Yes, it can fly.
@sofssu (18593)
Please do not feel sorry for stink bugs, they are a great threat to farmers and their crops. I have had a few stink bugs kill all my gourds.. Spray then and kill them.
Well, that helps. I will no longer feel badly about a stink bug who is no longer alive.
@sofssu (18593)
@Corbin5 the farmers will thank you, the food on your plate will be cleaner.
@sofssu I feel bad that the stink bugs die once they are placed in the very cold outdoors, but do not know what else to do with them.
@cindiowens (4924)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Aw, poor little bug. Glad he didn't fall apart in the dryer though your valance would be smelly. And your dryer.
I did run the machine with just detergent in the water, no clothing, to make sure no stink ended up in the washing machine. I was amazed he survived his experience.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@Corbin5 I'm sure he was quite dizzy once the ordeal was over.
@cindiowens He did wobble a bit when he walked.
@Janet357 (6795)
It amazes me how come they are still alive after losing some body parts.
That stink bug was one very healthy stink bug. He had staying power.
@Janet357 Well, the chef deserved it. Harm done; harm the one who did it. Such is the way of the world.
• Midland, Michigan
We had a major infestation of them last winter as did many other people around here. I was a bit worried they'd sneak in again this year but I think the colder weather surprised them as we've not found a single one.
I have found about 10 of them in all. They sure can hide well.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 they seem to like the light like happiness beetles. Last year many came out at night when more lights were on and zoomed afternoons the light fixtures. They were around in the day too but less noticable as they barely moved behind the curtains. We think we had well over fifty last winter is not more. We didn't keep a count though so maybe it just seemed like a lot.
@MarshaMusselman We could not keep count of the stink bugs either. Far too many to count for us.
He must have wondered what in the hell was happening!
And, that dryer was hot. Maybe he though he was in the tropics.
@Corbin5 I bet he hopes he never goes there again.
@JudyEv I think he is now frozen on the patio. Maybe stink bugs thaw out in the spring and go on their merry way.
@bunnybon7 (37971)
• Holiday, Florida
oh yuck. i guess you truly are one of those kind people that would not hurt a fly. (or stink bug) bet you don't like killing mosquitoes either?
I am one of those people. I shoo things outdoors instead of killing them.
@bunnybon7 (37971)
• Holiday, Florida
Oh no, hopefully it didn't leave a bad smell in your washer or dryer.
I think the smell was washed out of the little fellow. I did run the washer with detergent without clothes in it, just in case. I had a fragrant dryer sheet in the dryer so no smell. Poor little fellow.
@Courage7 (21585)
Poor little fellow.
@Courage7 (21585)
@Corbin5 I know poor guy but amazing and sturdy and strong
@CarolDM (9082)
I remember these from my aunt's house. So long to the stink bugs.
They came in droves this summer. They are fine until accidentally squished.
@CarolDM (9082)
@Corbin5 Glad they are gone for now.
Wow, he did have a wild ride! I don't like those bugs....but thanks for sharing the story!
I don't like them either. I have lived in this Chicago suburb for decades, and I never saw a stink bug. Last summer was the first time. It is native to Japan, China, Taiwan and South Korea,so it was transported here on goods shipped to the USA.
@Corbin5 Wow, that is strange that last summer was the first time seeing them. Growing up, I would always see them at my great-grandma's house.
It's amazing he survived the washer and dryer.
I was in awe. Poor thing. He lost a leg, but was still moving.
@LeaPea2417 (23259)
• Toccoa, Georgia
They sure are annoying!
We thought we chased all of them outdoors, but apparently some got in the house and stay in one spot. The never move about and just stay in a few places in the house. They do not smell at all, unless squished. No way am I squishing one indoors, but just take the little bugger outside.
@Poppylicious (10092)
Washed and dried! What a wonderful adventure! They look like giant bedbugs. This thought makes me feel ill. Eugh.
He had one huge experience in his little life. Poor thing.
Eww yuckie lol.
I did panic when I saw them behind the window valance I washed. They had been there a long time and never once appeared.
It is good that we do not spend time to know on how they suffer. We have no other alternative but to get rid of them
It is sad to see any living creature suffer, but such is life for all of us.
Ugh! that is horrible :(
I was amazed at how well those stink bugs hid themselves from view.