Have you ever had to use crutches, a cane, or a walker?

Walnut Creek, California
My Winter balcony sunflower is still blooming, but it has a strong lean, as the flower is too heavy for the stem that supports it. It has taken to leaning on the chair next to it, so it can drink up the sun's rays. This got me to thinking about the time I had ACL surgery, and had to walk with crutches for a few days. After that, I used a cane for a few more days. Have you ever had to walk using crutches, a cane, or a walker?
I used a cane and crutches but no never a walker yet.
• Walnut Creek, California
What were the circumstances?
@TheHorse I was ice skating and took a fall. It was the crutches after that. Then I have fibromyalgia and when the pain is bad I need my cane.
• Walnut Creek, California
@sharon6345 I have severe lower back pain, but I can still walk without a cane.
@JESSY3236 (7808)
Yes and no. I had fallen off a cliff at a state park. I had to have stitches in my head. I also walked with a limp. My mother took me a clinic and they couldn't see any damage to my leg. They recommended me to walk with crutches. But I refused to use them. My mother had to use crutches when she broke her leg in a motorcycle accident.
• Walnut Creek, California
Can you walk "normally" now?
@JESSY3236 (7808)
@TheHorse I sometimes limp when I get tired.
• Walnut Creek, California
@JESSY3236 Interesting. I wonder what the mystery injury was.
When I had that road accident thirteen years ago I had to use a walker and wheel chair until I was able to get back to my normal life.
• Walnut Creek, California
Are you back to "normal" now? A friend of mine (a hiking partner) was run over in a crosswalk by a distracted driver. She couldn't hike for two years. She's still getting back to her previous form.
@TheHorse I do not use any props but I my activity is not as boisterous as before (lol)
• Walnut Creek, California
@allknowing Well, that's kind of inevitable. I still hike and climb, but I wonder if I will play competitive softball next summer.
@FourWalls (16310)
Yes to all three. I broke my ankle four years ago and needed a walker to get out of the hospital and crutches for eight weeks until the cast came off....the it was crutches to a cane.
• Walnut Creek, California
Can you walk OK now?
@FourWalls (16310)
@TheHorse — that’s assuming I ever could walk OK. Sure, I’m fine. I’m walking like an Egyptian!
• Walnut Creek, California
@FourWalls Walk like an Egyptian! I'm glad.
@DWDavis (15874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
All of the above. For the first 3 weeks after my hip surgery last June I used a walker. Then for several weeks, I used a cane. Now, the cane sits in the corner covered with dust. I've had to use crutches in the past, once when I had stitches in my right leg as a teenager and again when I broke my left leg while in the Army.
• Walnut Creek, California
I kind of liked using a cane when I had a severe sprained ankle. I felt like "House," even though that show didn't exist yet.
@DWDavis (15874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@TheHorse I did notice people tended to be a lot nicer to me when I used the cane.
I had to use a crutch for several days when I had a bad cut under my right foot and I could not put my weight on the foot to walk. I think I only used it for a little more than one week.
• Walnut Creek, California
I had a brace on my leg for a few weeks after ACL surgery. I think I used crutches during that time. But I still drove (manual transmission) and still went to work.
@TheHorse My mother used crutches for many weeks after she broke an ankle. She had a metal plate in her ankle.
@myklj999 (20980)
I had to use crutches when I broke my leg back in '64, and had to use a cane for about a month to retain my balance after my stroke in 2015.
• Walnut Creek, California
I didn't know you'd had a stroke. Are you 100% recovered?
@myklj999 (20980)
@TheHorse I'd call it 98%, I still occasionally veer off to one side when I'm walking and have to be real careful making sudden turns when moving. I wasn't able to walk at all for about 3 days when it first happened, and then I was using a walker for a few days then settled for a cane. It was a pretty freaky experience, I was in an assisted living place for about 3 weeks.
@Karenmm (762)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I have never done but my grandma did... I felt sorry for her
• Walnut Creek, California
So did my Aunte in her later years.
@Karenmm (762)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Oooh ok
Not yet thankfully and I'm touching wood all over the place now. Mum used to have to stake a lot of her plants that grew too heavy for their own good.
• Walnut Creek, California
I often wind up doing that with sunflowers. Green beans and snow peas like having something they can climb.
@TheHorse And sweet peas too.
@sallypup (30136)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm teaching myself to grab a cane when its icy out. I wish I were as steady on my feet as I used to be but I'm not.
• Walnut Creek, California
I enjoyed supporting my Auntie as she got older. She was a trooper, and would go over ice and snow with me in New York to see a movie.
Never used any of those and hopefully, the time never comes.
• Walnut Creek, California
Eh, sometimes we break or strain something. I was even in a wheelchair once, after I tore my ACL. I challenged myself and went racing down the halls. They sent me home with crutches. I had surgery several months later.
@dya80dya (7651)
No. I don't have a cane or a walker. I needed them for a while.
• Walnut Creek, California
What happened?
@wolfgirl569 (13897)
• Marion, Ohio
Yes I sprained my knee one time. Crutches can be a pain.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yeppers, they can. The cane made me feel kind of like a martyr for a bit.
@rakski (24157)
not yet.
• Walnut Creek, California
Good to hear.
@debjani1 (3941)
No never but my mother in law uses the cane to walk after her neck fumor bone operation.
crutches for a month when i was 27.first i had a biking accident,then i got hit by a car.it wasn't a good year.