Starting my last overnight shift

Happy Friday all! How is everyone doing? Here it is 915pm and I am arriving to work early to start my LAST true overnight shift, 10pm to 8am before switching to the new schedule tomorrow. That unfortunately for me means an 8 hour turnaround, I will have to be back at work 8 hours after leaving which means a sad 5 hours of sleep probably. But oh well. I have only been doing the late overnight since the beginning of August although it has taken its toll on me for sure. I have trouble sleeping on my off days, my exercise/eating has suffered some and I have gotten in the habit of cracking an energy drink at 6 or 7 am just to stay awake. I will be working no later than 0130 am most days starting tomorrow which will allow me to sleep at night and not while the world is awake and about. I already know the second shift will be better for exercising and I plan on quitting energy drinks! Huzzah! Nights at my job are not all that bad. The skeleton crew I work with is great, it CAN be less busy (although usually feels even busier), I don’t have to see managers and I get to work with some great people. The actual work I will be doing is changing also. But I am trying to take that in stride. Again, a bittersweet change but happy to be asleep by 3am if not earlier most days. Just have to make it through tonight (until 8am!) Any changes for you at work this month?
My work is always cchanging. What kind of work do you do?
Police dispatch for local government.
I am retired and self employed online.
That sounds lovely!
Happy Friday and, have a good one :)
Thanks! You too!
I worked 11 pm to 7 am and had a newborn at home I was not good since I had to get what sleep I could by asking a neighbor to keep her. Have a good day tomorrow on your new shift.
Thank you! I bet it was hard. A lot of moms like nights so they can attend school events and things. But I don’t think I could do it. How long did you work that shift for?
@maezee I am thinking about a year since my job was an hour away from my friend from my town was fired due to stealing. I would not be able to get there after that. So when he was fired I resigned.
Well that is an improvement for you. I couldn't do it. I work a job with a set schedule. With my anxiety, I could never do what you do.
Thanks. My schedule is normally set, but it’s weird hours. And a lot of overtime. But I agree, I think in ten years I will try to settle down and find a 9-5!
I worked overnights for about 3 months many years ago! It was so challenging for me and I really struggled with my sleep patterns. No changes for me coming up at work that I know of, but each day brings new adventures at any job! Good luck with your changes!
Yikes! I know the feeling. And it really does feel like an alternative lifestyle some times.
@dodo19 (34670)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I hope it all went well. For the moment, I am self employed and work from home. So, I pretty much make my own schedule.
That’s awesome. Can I ask what type of work you do?
@dodo19 (34670)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@maezee I do a lot of different things. I do some customer service, some sales, just to name a few. Trying to do other things as well.
It sounds like this change will be good, for the most part. I hope it is. Goodluck, and have a nice last late night shift!
Thanks! I think it will be a good change.
@Nevena83 (10234)
• Serbia
I did not sleep for the night before, because I coughed.
Most of the mystery shops they are putting up now require recording, and they used to pay more for them..now, they are increasing and they are the same rate as the regular shops..Not a happy change,,,and they are being cheapskates IMHO.
@Daelii (6482)
Awesome that you are going to a better work time schedule! Not really any changes here. I'm a stay at home mom!
@1hopefulman (36170)
I hope you will be happy with the shift change! I'm retired, so no change for me.
My husband used to work third shift during the summer when our kids were little and it killed him!! Not literally but he was really glad to get back to first shift.
I am glad that your night shift is not too bad. I do not work anymore, I am retired.
I hope you make it and get used to your night shift. That's going to take a lot of adjustment.