A Long Haul

Today I finished the training that I began last year when I started my new job. I began working with the bank on November 13, a long 9 weeks ago. There are so many procedures and compliance laws to learn and to follow on each and every phone call. And since banks are government regulated, you have to follow the words to a T. After 9 weeks of training, I will officially begin my career tomorrow, after which has been a very long haul.
Congratulations on finishing your training and wishing you all the best in your new career.
Thanks Laurel. Last week I was sitting in the lunchroom and a group of new hires were sitting at our table chatting with me and a couple others that started with me, and I recognized one of them. I asked him if he was from London, and he told me that he was not, and where he was from-which is the city in which I used to work before we moved. I asked him if he worked with me at the other place, and he sprang up and said, he knew that I looked familiar, and he came over and hugged me. It was such a nice moment. I love running into old workmates at new jobs.
@Juliaacv wow that is such a cool story. Now you are working together again in a different city.
@Happy2BeMe Yeah, we are. And he always struck me as such a sweet young guy. I was really surprised that he remembered me. But I did bring him in a coffee and a muffin one morning from Timmies because he helped my husband when he called in for tech support one day.
I am so proud of you for enduring that 9 weeks of training!!! You are all set now. I am wishing you a wonderful day tomorrow for the start of your career!
Thanks so much Deb. Its never easy starting over for me, and this time was quite a struggle with so many people being younger then I. But today we went into a conference room and we all said something, and out of the 10 of us that were left almost half of them mentioned me and the support that I gave to them during our early weeks journey. That really touched my heart.
@Juliaacv I can imagine how wonderful it was to hear those kind mentions! You truly deserved them!
yes congrats there.How wonderful.
Thanks Fredo. Its been a very long and grueling time in training. The first part was in a classroom setting, which I didn't love as sitting there looking up at the front board bothered my neck, and then the last part we were out witting together with floor support near to help assist us with our questions and give us our confidence.
@Icydoll (29378)
Wishing you the best for your new career my dear friend
Thank you. I hope that this will be my last stop. There is one other job that I am being considered for, but unless they call me, this will probably be it until I retire.
@CarolDM (15476)
Wow nine weeks already, I know it seems like forever. I told you things would get better. Good for you!
Thanks Carol. I fear that things will get worse before they get better. I'm not being negative, but realistic. There are so many procedures to be learned still, I haven't done everything as of yet.
@CarolDM (15476)
@Juliaacv That is how it goes in life but you are making progress. We have to always challenge ourselves. Good luck, you will be fine.
@CarolDM Thanks, I need the friendly support that I get here. I really appreciate it.
That's a lot of training! I don't have much self confidence so I would be afraid I'd forget something important. I imagine you won't have that problem since you are very capable.
You cannot forget anything at all. You cannot commit anything to memory except where to find each and every procedure. And because they update them periodically, you have to open the procedure each time you go to assist a customer. My problem has been that I didn't feel included in the class when I first was hired. Everyone was so much younger then I and I didn't feel like I had anything in common with anyone else. I actually went to speak with someone in HR one day early on to tell them how I felt and that I'd be leaving that day and not returning. She talked me out of it, and made me realize that although I was older, nobody else had my life experience and that they need me and that they didn't view me as old, just another team member. I guess its all in the perception isn't it?
@Juliaacv Oh, she was right. I imagine I would come to you a lot about how to deal with certain customers and coworkers. Not to mention I seriously doubt any are smarter than you. But it is reassuring to know even smart, elegant women like you have self doubts.
@AmbiePam Thanks Amber, you're sweet, and very special to me. I am a work Mom to a couple of the younger people. And that warms my heart, they keep me young, and I protect them. And I did pour a lot of emotional support into one girl who lost her Dad very suddenly last month. And as we both know, that pain goes on, and our lives are changed forever when we lose a parent. I've talked to her about how I feel at this time of the year, with our daughter's birthday approaching, and how I cope with that. She told me that she'll try to do something special on her Dad's birthday, as a way of coping.
Congratulations on completeing your training, now the fun begins
Thanks. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day. I just need the practise to get really good at this, and its coming slowly.
@Juliaacv I don't envy you, I just don't learn as easily as I did when I was young and when I have a new writing client I have to reread and reread their criteria to make sure I give them exactly what they want.
@BelleStarr I don't learn as easily as I once did either. But I'm trying my hardest at it.
@Nevena83 (13755)
• Serbia
I wish you a lot of luck at work.
Thanks, I'm a work in progress.
I am so glad your long training is almost over. Congratulations for starting your new career.
Thank you Anna. My official 9 weeks of training is completed. But I am still learning every day while I am out doing the job, there are a lot of things that come up that are one-off's and I've not done in the past.
@Juliaacv I am sure that this will be a very long learning process, but at least the training is over.
@LadyDuck Today was a very good day to practise what I've learned.
@KristenH (26008)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Good luck! Keep us posted.
Thanks. I hope that I continue to do alright. I still do not have my 90 days in, so they could still cut me lose at any time.
@KristenH (26008)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Juliaacv I hope not. I hope you pass it with flying colors. Welcome Julia!
@KristenH Thanks, its a harder job then I ever imagined.
Congratulations ! You will go through your paces in your new job.Would you tell me what the "follow the words to a T" means.
Thank you. Follow the words to a T basically means verbatim.
@Juliaacv Thanks for explaining it to me !
@changjiangzhibin89 You're welcome-anytime.
Oh that's great. You have got to the end of the training. Good for you.
Official training is over, now doing things repeatedly until they become routine is what I'm doing-only then will I feel comfortable.
@Juliaacv This time next month it may be all 'old hat' to you. I hope so.
@JudyEv Oh I hope so too.
For some odd reason I took you to be a senior and a lady of leisure
No, I'm not a senior, still a long ways to go before I fall into that category. And even then, hopefully I don't fall into it, but I land into it.
@allknowing That's alright, no harm intended, and no harm done.
Wow, that is a lot of training. Are you a teller, or in management?
No, I work in a contact centre, so when customers cannot do what they need to online they call us.
@Juliaacv Oh Ok..
@Tracy04 (12033)
Congratulations on your first day of job.
Thanks.
@responsiveme (22883)
Congratulations and best wishes. It must be a very fulfilling feeling to be where you are now
Thanks, I hope so.
Way to go! I knew you would make it.
Thanks, now to work thru things so that they become routine and more familiar-then I'll feel comfortable.
And now the real work begins!
Oh yeah.
9 weeks sound so long for training. But I'm glad it's over now. Congratulations
@Juliaacv aw im glad you made those friendships!
@wunnam (383)
• Ghana
Congratulations on your successful journey. I wish you all the best in your new work. Good luck .
Thanks a lot. I go to a regular schedule next week.