Have you ever seen him cry?

In the book I am reading, there is a scene that talks about how when a man cries, the reason behind it is rather important. That isn't quite what it said, it said something along the lines of it giving the man "a bonus point" if he did cry. So my question is, have you ever seen your father cry? I'm sure you've seen other men cry, but I am asking about your father. If you don't know your father, then the closest male relative other than your spouse. My answer: I was trying to remember if I had ever seen my father cry. I can recall several years ago now, attending the funeral of his sister. It was funny as I was not part of the receiving line, though I was part of the family. I came to offer my condolences, as an estranged family member would often do. I don't think I saw my father cry then. Thinking of this brought to my mind something else. My uncle, my father's brother in law, actually the wife of his deceased sister.. He was the one to tell me that my grandmother had died. Several months prior. "We've been trying to get ahold of you, we wondered why we didn't see you at the funeral." My father had never called to tell me that his mother had died. You might think that perhaps he was in shock, but even so, he never told me. Never called or texted after the fact. My uncle had to be the one to tell me. We are an estranged family. It's rather sad, but in some ways I think it's better that we are. Does that make sense? So yes, have you ever seen your father cry?
@moonandstars (10651)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
When he swore and then apologized or, when he finally realised I need help as well and that his back or something else is not the only topic. After a couple of times, I gave up and moved.
Sometimes the ones we love aren't the best for us. I still love my father, but I don't particularly care about him if that makes sense.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@ScribbledAdNauseum To others, that might sound strange but, yes, I feel the same. I have some flash of memories with him or I dream about him but, to me, he's a stranger now. I feel uncomfortable when my mother mentions him over the phone; that he didn't feel good and that. I only listen and start talking about something else.
@moonandstars I understand that, the need to get away from the subject. I remember a fight I had with my mother, when my mom wanted me to let my father walk me down the aisle. I did end up relenting, and I am glad I did, but that didn't strengthen our father - daughter relationship. Now my mother is deceased. My father is not in my life, and that's okay with me. He wasn't a very good father. There aren't any really good memories with him.
@Tracy04 (12136)
Yup, I did. When his parents passed away.
That was the only time, though?
@Tracy04 (12136)
No, I never did. I guess some men hide their emotions and some are told it is weak to cry.
Yes, I agree. Men are usually told that it is a sign of weakness. They aren't told this by the women in their life, but by the men. More importantly, their own fathers. It's just something that gets passed down from generation to generation.
@ScribbledAdNauseum ........That's true.
@noni1959 (4340)
I'm trying to think about it but so far only come up with no. I have seen other men cry like uncles, cousins, ex's and once a man I dated only twice.
Yes, I've seen other men cry as well. Just never my father. A man told me he was crying, I was talking to him through messenger at the time.
@hillhjill (15650)
Yes I have seen my father cry, the worst thing ever is when my mother took me away from him. He cried so hard and I will never forget the way he looked.
That is terrible. Growing up, I was never even sure that my father loved me, I don't think I could imagine him reacting in such a way. When I was 14, I had had had enough and moved in with my maternal grandparents.
@Plethos (12693)
once. when he accidently banged his head under the hood of the car.
Yeah, that would make anyone cry.