This Banana Peels Itself

I am familiar with yellow bananas and red bananas, but I was not aware that there are also pink bananas growing here and there in this world of ours. The pink banana plant is native to India and Southeast Asia. Pink banana plants do best in subtropical and tropical climates. Greenhouses and conservatories around the world are home to pink banana plants too. The pink banana is also called a "hairy banana," however, I prefer to call it a "pink banana." Pink bananas actually peel themselves when ripe. The pink banana has a sweet, creamy taste if you can get past the very hard seeds inside the pink banana. Biting down on one of a pink banana's seeds could result in a very nice tooth suffering a break. A pink banana plant really does dress up a garden with its pink flowers and pink bananas. To grow a pink banana plant, the following tips may come in handy: 1. To avoid killing a pink banana plant, the temperature for the plant must be between 68 F to 75 F at all times. 2. The pink banana plant must be grown in compost that is very fine. 3. The pink banana plant requires a lot of natural light. 4. The pink banana plant can spend some time outdoors in the warm summer months. 5. In cold winter months, the pink banana plant needs to be placed in a greenhouse. 6. Pink banana plants grown in pots allow for moving the pots indoors during a cold snap. Note: A bunch of bananas is called a hand, and a single banana is called a finger.
Let`s give the pink banana a hand! That would be a true challenge to grow here.
@amirev777 (3853)
But not too forceful.....
It would be, but on the map of the USA of where it could be planted, I think the southernmost part of Alabama would work.
@amirev777 Yes, very true.
I have seen them on one of our trip to Guatemala
I would like the color better than the banana. It is a pretty plant.
@WiseGhots (9992)
It seems they are quite common there.
@Sheali (3824)
I never know this.. this was informative..
This banana would grow well in your area.
I have never heard the hand versus finger but it does make sense. I feel like I've seen a cartoon drawing of a character with a bunch of bananas as a hand. Seeds inside of the banana? It makes me say "nah - nah"
The yellow bananas we eat do have seeds, but they are just those teeny-tiny little brown specks.
@Corbin5 Yes, I guess I hadn't thought about that. As it is, I don't think I've heard of a red banana. I've heard of (and seen) plantain's.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I ate a red banana, from our Jewel grocery store, and it was creamy with a hint of pineapple taste.
I never heard if them before but they are very pretty and quite interesting.
I think they would look lovely in a garden.
@Corbin5 they sure would
@CarolDM (15475)
What a cool banana and I knew the bunch was called a hand, I remember Dustin learning this in school and he was always so amazed,
I love all the pink that banana plant shows off. I did eat a finger this morning.
@amirev777 (3853)
Pink bananas? Never heard of them before - are they also called 'hairy' bananas, reminds me of something which I dare not disclose. But I must commend you - you do manage to conjure up really interesting and entertaining stuff time-to-time with your posts
So glad you enjoyed the post. I did not know about pink bananas either.
That is very interesting. I didn't know about the pink banana either. Good to know it's edible but the seeds can cause tooth problems. I didn't know they were called a hand and finger.
Bananas sure do come in a wide variety. It was interesting to research the pink banana.
@Corbin5 I'm sure it was interesting. You come up with some great posts.
@just4him Thank you, my friend, for your kind words!
@Corbin5 You have heard of one more banana than I have. I have never seen a red or pink banana. I think I will stick to the yellow ones I buy at the store. Thanks Deborah for that information.
Yes, the yellow ones are the bananas that I prefer too.
@Corbin5 I have never heard of the other two and love the yellow ones so I buy what I know I like. That is the only kind we have at the store.
@jobelbojel (10285)
Wow! Have not seen red and pink. Only yellow and green.
I have eaten a red banana and it is tasty. I would like to get a taste of the pink banana.
@jobelbojel (10285)
@Corbin5 that is cool.
@didinedhia (1941)
• Algeria
what!!!! the world if full of surprises!!!! there is a red and pink bananas???? omgggg
Yes, red bananas are sweet and creamy with a hint of pineapple. The pink bananas are creamy and sweet, but the seeds are many and very hard.
• Algeria
@Corbin5 omg that is the first time i hear about this !!!! wow
@nela13 (12964)
• Portugal
I didn't know that there are pink bananas, It Is weird but beautiful at the same time
I also think this particular banana is so pretty. Love the pink flower.
@nela13 (12964)
• Portugal
@Corbin5 it Is very different from the ones we are used to.
@WiseGhots (9992)
I've never seen those pink ones. Are they good?
They taste sweet and creamy, but lots of seeds.
@WiseGhots (9992)
@Corbin5 Ouch. So, I'll pass it.
• New Delhi, India
Beautiful and a unique banana.
I really do like the look of the pink banana plant. It is so pretty.
I only see a pink banana in your post.This is my first time to know that there is another color than green and yellow.
I have eaten red bananas before, and they are sweet and creamy with a bit of a pineapple taste.
@tom_view (4635)
• Kolkata, India
thanks for the info.
You are welcome.
That is so pretty. I do not imagine we get them in our stores at all though.
Whole Foods Market here usually sells the most exotic foods, so I may check there to see if pink bananas are available.
That is fascinating. Thank you for sharing. It would be awesome to see pink bananas.
I love the look of the plant. So much pretty pink to it.
It is a lovely plant but even Florida is too cold for it.
Although pink bananas grow in tropical to subtropical climes, this particular banana is one of the more cold tolerant. If provided protection from the cold by mulching heavily around the plant it will be fine. It is said to be cold hardy as far north as USDA zone 7b.
@Hate2Iron (9774)
If there is a chance of breaking a tooth... I would say no immediately... but they are awfully pretty!!
As a plant in a pot in the house or in a garden, it would be nice to have around. Costs too much to repair a tooth.