Feeding the Poor

@UncleJoe (12162)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
A post by @WiseGhots about foods like caviar reminded me of when I ran a homeless ministry back in the early 90’s. We also collected and distributed food to the NEAR-homeless. Most of these consisted of families in various trailer parks in the city. Our goal was to provide as much food as possible so that their meager funds could go toward rent and utilities. Our ministry attracted the local media who interviewed different members of our team. After this aired on local television donation becan pouring in. Schools all over the city began a food drive. Kids were asked to bring at least one can of food each from their home pantry. There were scads of canned veggies and soups for us to distribute in the trailer parks. We tried to divide the cans according to content so that it all worked out even. There was only one hitch. One of the facilities involved was a high-class private collegiate school. One of the items from their donation left us all a little baffled. We couldn’t decide which family out of all the ones we were feeding ought to get the can of Goose Liver Pate.
Well, it is the thought that counts. That was a wonderful thing to do.
@WiseGhots (9993)
Goose Liver Pate? I've never hear about it before. Anyway, nice attitude. Thanks for the mention, uncle Joe.
I would not want goose liver pate that does not sound good at all.
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It's not bad on the first bite @jstory07 But it has a nasty lingering after-taste.
It's awesome!!!!
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@DianneN It's really a matter of taste.
I'd probably have sneaked it off home! I'm sure your ministry was highly appreciated at the time.
@noni1959 (4298)
Yuck. It sounds awful but I know there are people who will eat it. Just like those that will eat lutefisk.
@wolfgirl569 (19028)
• Marion, Ohio
That would be a hard one.
@cindiowens (5005)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I sure wouldn't want to be THAT family.
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@cindiowens I eventually settled the issue. The can was so small there was barely enough to make me a sammich. It was the wurst!
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@UncleJoe That's fair!!!
Basic necessities seem to vary based on one's economic bracket. I'm sure whoever brought the Goose Liver had no clue what kind of amusement their contribution might create. For a number of years, we attended a church in a much wealthier part of town than where we lived. We had more than one giggle filled Sunday afternoon debriefing with the kids over various misperceptions about what "poor" vs "wealthy" really means.
That's an odd thing to donate to the poor and needy. I guess you can say it's the thoughtless that count.
@moonandstars (10519)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
What to say? That is really human of you.
@Janet357 (8466)
This is an act of kindness, devoting your time and sharing what you have with the less fortunate.
@crossbones27 (23472)
• Redlands, California
Yeah Its crazy how out of touch some of these more wealthier folk are. They really think in weird ways where you know everything came handed, that being said at least they donated.