Let's Get Materialistic

Perhaps many of us would say we're not materialistic. Maybe for the most part. But surely there are "things" that you really, really love? I love (and not in any particular order): *Books . . . children's books, cookbooks, crafts, gardening, how to's, poetry, humor - all books with wonderful illustrations or photos. We get tons of used books. *Clothes . . . I love a wardrobe of variety but I especially adore dresses. I'm an avid thrift shopper and look for the deals. *Dishes and tablecloths . . . I have this new obsession for table stuff - different ones set different moods/tones for eating. *Arts and craft supplies . . . an artist cannot have too many supplies . *Plants . . . In starting gardening last year, I have found that I love buying sickly clearance plants and bringing them back to life. There's more but I'm not really materialistic . What materialistic things do you like/enjoy/find comfort in? Not saying you are materialistic .
I want to get a topsy turvy plant for tomatoes... My favorites... Books Comfort Items - Blankets, lots of blankets. More blankets on top of my lots of blankets. Pillows. I need more pillows. Lots of pillows. Calming Music.
@WiseGhots (10474)
Books!
Ohhhh, is that the hanging tomato plant? That would be cool to have ! In this cold weather, blankets and pillows are soooooooo comfy . . . I hear ya on that! Definitely calming music - for me music period . . . I love YouTube for that .
@much2say Oh yes, that's how I listen to my music, youtube. I used to subscribe to amazon music, but no longer do. Yes, Topsy Turvy is the hanging tomato plant. I play a dice game where I can get items for "free" after rolling enough dice to get tickets for it. I think I might just get the planter that way. I have nearly enough tickets for it I think.
@WiseGhots (10474)
Coffee!
@Sheali (3997)
@WiseGhots I knew it
It's almost coffee time here - have to wait til the Hubby wakes up .
@WiseGhots (10474)
@Sheali Coffee is love!
Coffee is a big favorite of mine along with different coffee mugs. Books Yarn for my crocheting projects I do love dishes too and just got a new set for Christmas I'm slowly getting rid of my shoes since I can't wear many of them anymore but shoes used to be something I loved to buy I also love new sheets and replaced two old sets with two new sets. Ahhh the luxury of climbing into bed on beautiful sheets.
@WiseGhots (10474)
Coffee all the way around!
@Marilynda1225 I know you and coffee . I love all that stuff on your list . . . oh and you remind me that we need to get new sheet sets here too!
@WiseGhots We should all get together for a coffee chat!
@Hate2Iron (9836)
Mine would have to be books... can you ever have too many and lipstick!! But I did decide that I'm not going to buy one more tube until I use up what I have. I wonder if I can stick to it!!!
Books for me too!!
@Hate2Iron Oh my gosh . . . books for sure . . . but oh yes lipstick too (forgot about that)! I love buying up a lot of different colors . . . but there are some colors that just don't work out and they end up sitting there - don't know what to do with those.
@Sheali (3997)
I like nice marble statues and garden accessories...
Ohhh - l love nice garden pots! We just acquired a bunch of old garden stuff from my mother in law as her house was sold . . . including some garden ceramics her friend made.
@Sheali (3997)
@much2say That's nice.. I love gardening as well
@hereandthere (34732)
have you always had a green thumb? or was this a surprise discovery?
@much2say exactly. even clueless, lazy me know it's a mistake to assume all plants have the same needs. it doesn't just apply to humans and animals.
• Preston, England
my books, music, and cameras
I love all that! I have a camera that has not been put to use yet . . . I do love photography if I ever make time for it! Music is a must!
• Preston, England
@much2say totally agree
Right now I am happy with what I have.
That's the best way to be !
@mayka123 (12006)
I think I would buy a lot of books. Due to space constraints now I am trying not to indulge myself !!!!
Believe me, we have a tiny place and don't have a lot of room for a lot of things . . . but somehow we keep getting more and more stuff - including books! I could literally make a house of books . But I'm working on getting rid of stuff and trying not to buy too much anymore.
WOW, we love the same things, I will add shoes to dresses and cooking stuff. I love any kind of books, but cooking books are my favorite, I bought two ten minutes ago from Amazon.
Ohhhhh, that's so neat we have so many common interests ! I do love shoes, but I don't collect them as much as I used to. I know we can get free recipes online, but I admit I love cookbooks still . . . it's funny but I look at recipes and cook in my head - I somehow find joy in that . What new cookbook did you order ?
@much2say Two cookbooks about cookies, both Italian books. I tried a new recipes tonight, "quark balls", quark is a soft cheese and the "balls" are fried then rolled into sugar and cinnamon. Incredibly light, we loved them.
@LadyDuck Ohhhh, that sounds good! I don't think I've ever had quark before (not sure if I can even get it here). I love books about cookies and baked things!
I like books and have a lot of books.Most my books are covered with kraft paper .I even can't stand the sight of a dog-ear in my book.I am very particular about my tea cups.They have to be porcelain ones with patterns I love on them .
I absolutely love books! I see you must take very good care of your books as you cover them with kraft paper . . . I cannot stand used books with writing in them - I have never been one to underline words or highlight with markers - dog ears on my own books make me mad. Oh how I would love to collect more pretty tea cups! My parents have the nice small Japanese tea cups - we just use plain American white mugs for our home use.
@much2say Same here,I have no use for the used books with what you mentioned and with scribble on them.Bookmark is indispensable as I read.Recently I began liking the pottery teapot . photo is mine.
@changjiangzhibin89 Ohhhh, what a lovely tea pot ! It is simple yet bold - very pretty. If I cannot have a collection, I do enjoy seeing books of collections . . . surely there must be a book with lovely photos of beautiful tea pots !
I like electronics. If I get enough money together I'll by a new PC or Cell phone or TV streaming device. I love fiddling around with plants, not to the same extent as you do but I do like to have plenty of potting soil available. Organic food, I love to make sure my pantry is filled with different kinds of heat n serve organic soups. I know, I should learn to cook from scratch, right?
I used to love electronics when it came to music stuff. I am so not high-tech . . . so if someone gets it for me or puts it together and shows me what to do, then I might be ok with it . I'm no true green thumb, I guess fiddling would be a better word for me too. I just want take my fiddling and do something greater this year with it . . . lots of fiddled plants here . That's great you're all organic. We do "some" but admittedly I just don't get everything organic. Scratch is actually not too difficult especially if you have a recipe to follow (lots of free recipes online!) - I love to do it because you can control the ingredients. I am having to research on truly scratch now as I'm cooking for my parents a lot and my dad has certain issues and can't have certain things (like salt). But it is more time consuming for sure.
Yes, cooking everything from scratch is time consuming but oh so healthy if you use all organic ingredients @much2say I wish you the best of luck with all you have to do.
10h
@rebelann I wish I could grow my own organic garden . . . but I just know some (ok, many) things are just better "bought" . Thank you! There is always so much to do, right?
I’m the first to admit that I’m materialistic. My father never approved, but my mother encouraged it. I love beautiful things, some functional and some not. It can be handbags, shoes, dresses, perfumes, books, oil paintings, garden statuary and pots, to pots and pans, linens, china, crystal, furniture, lamps, floor tile, antiques, cars, jewelry.............anything I find that’s beautiful to me.
I can go for that ! So your mom must've loved beautiful things too! My parents weren't into "things" - so I don't know where I got it from . I love a lot of things too - but we just don't have the space for it. I also have like 2 big boxes of figure skating items that I had collected over the years at my parents house, but there's no where here to display them. In my skating days, I used to collect all kinds of practice outfits and dresses (for my some-day programs) - I am clothes crazy! What would you say is your most prized beautiful thing of all ?
@much2say Space can be a huge problem for “things” and stuff. Lol! Oh, what a question! Besides my grandkids and family, I would have to say my engagement ring. Or my house. Or my sports car. Or my watches. Or a photo of my grandmother. Or some heirlooms. My main problem is that I love every single thing i have, and each has a special meaning to me. Anything I didn’t love is long gone.
I was a materialistic person before. But then, I just need the basic necessity of using some modern gadgets.
Ah, but you must have some favorite modern gadgets, right? And do we "really" need them?
@much2say Since I am an online teacher, I definitely need them.
Gardening, photography, reaching out these are a few of my favourite things. Reminds me of the song from the movie Sound of Music
Soundtrack del film 'Tutti insieme appassionatamente' di Robert Wise, 1965.
I know this song well . . . in fact Ariana Granda does a current remake of it (but the original is always best ). I have actually been inspired to garden because of many of your posts !
@much2say I should have added animals as well
I do love books and I used to collect just about anything horse but I buy very little of anything nowadays apart from food.
We all love our books! I used to collect figure skating things . . . but I have no space for it anymore. Do you still have your horse collection? I actually love buying food . . . something about the comfort of having a well stocked pantry - and eating .
@much2say Yes, I still have most of it but I'm trying to cut down now. I know what you're saying about food .. and eating.
I like shoes. I have lots of shoes. I have too many shoes. I have not worn some of my shoes.
There was a time when I use to buy tons of shoes. Loads. But now I really don't have much space to store shoes . . . so I don't get them much anymore. I will try to buy shoes where the color and style could go with nearly everything (if that's even possible).
1h
I'm with you on the books. I especially adore my childhood books and those that I have of my parents.
@cintol (9595)
10h
Haha, those are a lot of unmaterialistic things there, Im not either but I love my angels, garden decorations, gnomes, and all my Mickey Mouse collectibles lol but, I am not materialistic either lol
@bunnybon7 (38816)
• Holiday, Florida
12h
i used to love collecting things so much. had over 400 new and used books when i moved out of my house and a huge collection of DVD's and tapes too. I still have my paper dolls but had to give up those other things due to moving in with kids etc. now I just collect money where and how i can can't afford to be materialistic these days except with things i just need.