Perchville Festival on the Shores of Lake Huron

@kobesbuddy (63653)
East Tawas, Michigan
Last weekend was the Perchville Festival, here in East Tawas, Michigan. This festivity has been celebrated for the past 61 years, in our town. They have fishing contests, a hotdog&snack trailer,chili making competition, ski-doo races(snow mobiles), a polar bear swim for a daring few, and of course a large beer tent on the shore. The second day, they celebrated by crowning this year's 'Perchville King&Queen.' We don't frequent many of these events because of the bitter temperature, while out walking on the ice. Yet this festivity draws tourists in, from all over the state of Michigan. Photo:NOT MINE, Borrowed from Pixabay
It does sound like a fun festival for those who do not mind the cold.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
They sell a lot of coffee, hotdogs, and hot chocolate to the public. Jay and I have a hard time tolerating the bitter cold wind, off the Bay.
@kobesbuddy My husband and I would have a hard time too.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 That's why we usually just stay at home. We read about the festivities, in the local newspaper.
@jobelbojel (10285)
Sounds interesting. There are lots of activities
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, they make it a lot of fun, for the people who don't mind the cold weather:)
@jobelbojel (10285)
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@jobelbojel The rest of us just stay home, then read about it in the News Paper!
@CarolDM (15475)
Sounds like a cold time for all. We have the polar bear plunge here. But I take a pass.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Years back, I use to watch the Polar Bear swim, but not any more.
@CarolDM (15475)
@kobesbuddy I see it on the news.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CarolDM Yes, or I read about it in our local newspaper:)
It looks mighty cold up yonder, I think I wouldn't have gone.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
They put up a warming tent this year. I would have stayed inside there, all the time!
So would I @kobesbuddy I can't imagine anything that cold.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@rebelann The cold wind coming off that lake, is bitter, bitter!
the polar bear swim sounds like our 'polar plunge' when you go into the cold water of the ocean.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, they cut a round hole in the ice and then, certain ones dive in with their bathing suit on! lol
@kobesbuddy oh no they don't do that here.. not the cutting holes part anyways. people just go jump into the water - stupidly in my opinion. lol.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Courtlynn Lake Huron freezes over and some 'door-knobs', even drive their vehicles out on the ice! Each winter, we have at least one person who falls through the ice.
It must be a lot of tourists that come to visit.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, during the summer months we have a lot of touristry and in the winter, we have tourists, also. Some love to ski, ride snow mobiles, winter sports, and riding trails through the woods.
@kobesbuddy I am sure these activities are ways to attract them. If I have the chance, I might be going to try these things, too.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Shavkat Some people really love those winter sports!
@aureliah (22468)
• Kenya
Wow that is a beautiful scenery and an interesting activity
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I did not take this photo, it was borrowed from Pixabay.
@dya80dya (10305)
It sounds interesting. But I don't like cold.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
When I'm dressed warm enough, I love being outdoors in the winter.
It must be so so cold there. I think I might be staying home too although I might go once just to see it.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I have gone to Perchville a few times and then, came home to thaw out my body! lol
I don't often get out to the festivals and things that my community holds. This Perchville festival would be more fun for the fishermen and women. I'd probably enjoy the food and just the atmosphere though. The last festival I've gone to is the "honeybee festival" which is self explanatory. Vendors of different crafts are there, and of course beekepers.
@kobesbuddy (63653)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'd love the honeybee festival, during nice weather of course! I don't frequent very many things, but usually just go to the grocery store and come back home lol
@sallypup (31238)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I imagine there are a lot of folks wearing those ear flap hats. I wouldn't be one of those gleeful people.
My husband used to love to go out ice fishing. I remember he gave me a ride on our snowmobile on the frozen river. And it was just like a little city out on the ice. The river banks sheltered us from the wind, and there were snowmobiles and cars and trucks and ice shanties and people everywhere. He quit ice fishing many years ago because the cold used to bother him too much, but he always kept in touch with his fishing buddies and they would bring him in salmon steaks and other goodies that they'd catch and clean for us.
No, just No.
@Tina30219 (39748)
• Onaway, Michigan
Very nice we had ours the first week of this month it was called black lake shivery it is on black lake. I have never went to it not a big fan of cold myself