What Men And Women See When They See A Car

car, scratches
Uzbekistan
Men are interested in technical details. Women are not. Men want to know how a computer works. Women want it to work. Men enquire what kind of camera a photographer uses. Women admire the photos. As always, exceptions prove the rule. I had to think of an incident that happened many years ago. I was in a car with friends. The man was driving, his wife was sitting beside him. I was in the back. We were driving along a street in our town. It was getting dark, some street lamps were burning. Suddenly a car came from behind and when overtaking us, it scraped the side of our car. The driver didn't stop, however, but drove on rather fast. We stopped and talked through what we had noticed and if it was enough to report the incident to the police. I have no driving-license and no interest in cars whatsoever. But I'm a visual person and I remembered the size and the colour of the car. The woman could cite some numbers of the number plate and the man, surprise, surprise, remembered the make. With this information we went to the nearest police station. This was BC (Before Computers). Thinking of what happened then makes me laugh. The car registration cards were kept in a building nearby, not in the police station. The policeman listened to us and said he thought it would suffice. He took a torch, just in case. It was already after hours. He went to the registration office and came back with the name of the owner of the car. He congratulated us on our sharp eyes. I find it fascinating what one notices without doing it intentionally. We later learnt that the police didn't find the man at home. He was drunk and hid at a friend's house until he was sober. Nevertheless he was found out because the side of his car was also damaged. A good example of how men and women are different but complement each other. None of the three pieces of information would have been enough to find the car, but put together they were.
@Ronrybs (8408)
• London, England
Good you got the culprit. I am one of the small number of blokes who don't care about cars
• Uzbekistan
You belong to a rare species.
@Ronrybs (8408)
• London, England
@MALUSE Yes, there aren't many of us. I don't enjoy driving and prefer trains, so I can read and drink tea on the journey
It is odd how one sees one thing and another sees something else.
• Uzbekistan
@andriaperry And both speak the truth!
@Missmwngi (11535)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Ha haa let me laugh at the truth of this;when my computer has issues i just want it to work lol
• Uzbekistan
I used to be a teacher. Now I'm retired. But I'm still in contact with a colleague who is responsible for the computers at school. Every now and then I ask him to send me a pupil if I have problems with my computer. I tell them to do whatever has to be done but without explaining anything to me. When one of these boys leaves school to go to uni, I get a new one. I give them money for their services and everybody is happy.
@Missmwngi (11535)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@MALUSE Thats great of you. Creating employment for them
• Uzbekistan
@Missmwngi It's not 'employment', not at all. I call my computer expert maybe five times *a year*!
@DaddyEvil (26789)
• Aurora, Missouri
Hmmm... that is very interesting, Malu. I guess I'm one of the ones who prove the rule. I care enough about how a computer works that I can keep mine and those around me running correctly. I would have admired the photos and not cared what camera (if I even thought about it at all) the photographer used when taking the photo(s). I like knowing how my smartphone works so I can correct any problems and keep it running smoothly. I just happen to work in retail and sell computers and telephones. I am not really detail oriented unless it happens to be about something I'm very interested in... then I can become too detail oriented and boor the socks off other people. You three were very lucky you each caught something that would help find the hit-and-run driver. I know very little about cars and don't care to know, most of the time. (I can do basic maintenance and that's about it. *shrug*) If I'm not the person driving, then you can be sure I wasn't paying any attention to where we were, who or what hit the car and what the offending driver/vehicle looked like. I would have been of no use whatsoever.
• Uzbekistan
Thanks for confessing your strengths and weaknesses. :-)
Good things really do happen in threes!
• Uzbekistan
A new interpretation of the saying. :-)
• Walnut Creek, California
Another difference between men and women may be the way they react to a story like this. My reaction was not "glad you were all OK." It was "Did they catch the guy?"
@Fleura (8317)
Mine too! Don't want the baddies to get away with it! I didn't even think whether everyone was ok - of course they were, it was only a scrape wasn't it?
@Poppylicious (10350)
When we were buying our car last year I was definitely only interested in the colour and the pretty lights inside. :)
A good example also how men and women complement each other, specially as a couple this can be of great help.
That is so interesting and so true. I'll ask Vince how does he know what model a car is. Knowing the make is too easy a question! And he'll say it has a different grill or different headlight arrangement or whatever. I always know what colour it is!!
I'm happy to hear that he was caught.
• Uzbekistan
So are we. Our joint statements were enough to find him.
@MALUSE this was most fortunate. Many are never caught.
• Uzbekistan
@Tampa_girl7 Indeed. And repairing and painting a car body can be quite expensive if you have to pay for it yourself.
@Merliva (566)
• Castries, Saint Lucia
21h
Nice indeed
• Uzbekistan
17h
Thank you.
@Merliva (566)
• Castries, Saint Lucia
17h
@MALUSE you are very much welcome
Like you mentioned, there are exceptions to the rule :-) I tend to be very observant and notice things that most people in my circle don't. But as a photographer, this comes naturally. I also tend to observe more than I speak especially when around strangers. I consider myself a really good judge of character. Kudos to you and all involved for getting in all the details that helped to get that guy.
• Uzbekistan
What I find puzzling is that nearly all detectives in real life as well as in literature are men. Sherlock Holmes! He is the most a-typical man imaginable. He sees the tiniest detail wheras in real life the average man doesn't notice even big ones in front of their noses.
@MALUSE Lol! You got a point there!
@Ladanger (5393)
It's like they say "two heads are better than one ".
• Uzbekistan
In our case there were even three heads! :-)
@Ladanger (5393)
@MALUSE three heads is even better
I enjoy your story and it made me smile as I read the epistle.
• Uzbekistan
Thank you for your friendly words.
@Fleura (8317)
I'm surprised yoou adhere to such stereotypes.
• Uzbekistan
These so-called stereotypes are based on experience. Besides, I know that exceptions prove the rule. I mentioned this in my post.
@nela13 (12964)
• Portugal
Yes, we are different but we need each other.
• Uzbekistan
Exactly!
Wow, what a wonderful combination of the three have seen and noted. Combined together, the person responsible was identified in so short a time. No, wonder a woman is partnered with a man.
• Agra, India
Yes...this is what keeps the relationship between a man and a woman rocking
So glad he was caught. 3 pair of eyes are always helpful.
I cannot recognize a car, I immediately notice the color, if it's 2 or 4 doors, but the brand is not something I know. I have a good memory for numbers, I would have noticed the plate for sure.