One of My Favorites

Next weekend we will be enjoying a nice long 3-day weekend. We'll be celebrating the Family Day Holiday on the Monday. It is a holiday to help break up the long period of time in between the paid holidays of New years Day and Good Friday. And it is a very welcome addition to our Canadian holidays. Unlike some holidays, this one encourages families to spend time together. And since it is a relatively new holiday, there isn't all of the "tradition" behind it. People spend it the way that people want to spend it. We will be spending the Sunday and then the holiday Monday with our son and daughter-in-law. And however we choose to spend our time, I am sure that this will be one of my favorite holidays. ~Photo borrowed from Pixabay
Last year was the first year we got this holiday in New Brunswick.
I hope that you do something really special this year.
@Juliaacv Destinee will be here so that will be fun
@Happy2BeMe That will be a lot of fun.
It would be nice to have that day here. We do have President's Day coming up here. I think I might want to visit Montpelier which is a Presidential home not far from here. They should have a free day that day.
It sounds like a perfect day to visit such a historical home. I remember one of the very first Family Days, it was also my Dad's last one on this earth. We somehow all ended up at their place, and visiting and laughing together. It was so nice because it was right before he took a turn for the worse.
@Juliaacv Very nice!
@Nevena83 (13755)
• Serbia
I hope you enjoy it.
Thank you. We always enjoy the time that we spend with our son and his wife. We'll have a lot of fun together.
@Nevena83 (13755)
• Serbia
@Juliaacv That is very nice.
It does sound like a holiday that could become a real favorite.
Its so nice to take a cold winter's day and spend it together as a family "just because".
enjoy the holiday and fun with the family
Thanks Fredo, just another week of work before the long weekend of family fun is here.
@Nana49 (1224)
Ive never heard of that ..wish we had it here. Always good to spend more time with family .. Very pretty picture you posted :)
It is also celebrated in South Africa. I thought that this picture reminded me of a little family.
@Missmwngi (11535)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Wishing you well. Enjoy
Thanks.
@Missmwngi (11535)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I love the idea of this day,
Its a nice day. I remember the first one, my Dad was only a few months away from passing, and somehow we all ended up at their place, and we laughed and visited together. His health got worse after that but we will always have the memories of that nice afternoon together.
@Juliaacv aw im so sorry you have to remember it like that. Though it also sounds nice.
That is a great idea. I think any holiday that encourages 'family time' is a good one.
Its a fun holiday, nothing else.
Enjoy fantastic family time.
We are really looking forward to it. We're not 100% sure that my husband will get that day off or not, but we've got our fingers crossed.
• Walnut Creek, California
I had not heard of this Holiday!
Its such a nice holiday. An old-fashioned concept, spending time with our family members and that IS the holiday, but its so nice. And having a holiday during that long stretch of about 3 months between paid holidays is nice too.
@db20747 (13667)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
That is a very nice holiday!! With everybody so busy these days, this lets people get together and keep in touch with family!!!
The nicest part about it is that it occurs during the wintertime. And that helps encourage families to gather together inside. I imagine that it can be a pretty lonely holiday for those who have no family.
• Peoria, Arizona
I love that idea for a holiday! It would be nice if we had something like that here but no, we get celebrate presidents which is nice and all if they didn't keep screwing up haha
@nomus24g (26460)
its good to have extended weekends...
I love this photo Julia. Locally Sundays are still considered the "family day" this is the reason why our Government does not allow the stores, shops and supermarkets to stay open on Sundays.
I remember when we were like that here, in Canada, also. When we were first married we always spent Sundays with either my husband's family or with mine. Sometimes we would even spend Saturday evenings with my family-that was always a lot of fun, my Dad would get us all playing cards together. I miss those times.
@Juliaacv We did the same in Italy when we were first married. We went every Saturday evening to dine at my parent's home and we spent all the Sunday together.
@LadyDuck We used to have a lot of fun when some of my husband's brothers and sisters who were married would stop in with their children on some of those Sundays out at his mother's place.
It sounds a nice holiday. For me, the best holiday is every Christmas season.
I like Christmas also. I love the difference between this holiday and any other, which is that family, and not tradition or religion, is how we spend the day.
@Juliaacv I do think that it is nice to be with the family. Since I am working at home, I am always with them. It means that I always have holidays with them every day.
@Shavkat You and your family are very fortunate to have that.
Family time is the best time, enjoy your days with your son and daughter in law.
Thank you, we are really looking forward to going there on Sunday and spending that day and the next with them.
@Hate2Iron (9774)
Will definitely have to do something as a family... maybe a scrabble tournament! I think it's my turn to win ;)
Our son and his wife live a little over an hour from us. They have asked us to come down on Sunday and spend the night. The guys have some projects around the house that can be done and otherwise we will just relax and enjoy each other's company. Our daughter-in-law is hoping to get a transfer to our city, which will require a move, and they may not get a lot of notice, so they want their "to do" list completed, and my husband will help them with that as he's pretty handy.
Have a fun time :)
Thanks, we will.
Sounds like a holiday for me!