getting rid of cable

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My sister would never let me get rid of cable, Today i told her how my bill went up from $192 to $232 and she was livid! I paid for it because i am getting a bundle package of cable/internet and landline and i did use it last month I am not giving up my internet and landline as i am very happy with both of those parts of the bundle. but will have a cheaper price without cable i think I am going to have Amazon prime (I have it already for free shipping of my cat's food once a month) and Netflix ( for some reason i have that) and Hulu that she told me to get. She hasn't had cable for two years and loves it, I always hated paying all that for cable when i don't watch tv that often. do you have Cable or do you use streaming services?
we pay $150 for landline, internet, and 4 TVs.
that is a super price you pay. I have what my sister calls a "smart Tv" so i can get those services right to my TV. now that i think of it, that is a super price as i only have two TV's that have cable. with how little you pay no wonder my sister was so upset! i was upset too! there is going to be a showdown at the OK corral tomorrow as she took my bill and is calling the company tomorrow and see is like a mama bear with her cubs when it comes to me when somebody tries to do me wrong!
@Marty1 I could easily live without cable except for the 1 show that I watch which, of course, is on a premium channel. We never use the house phone. All I really need is internet.
@NJChicaa I watch some shows on cable but could live without them. i only use the house phone, I don't even keep the ring on my cell phone as i get telemarketers from Hawaii at midnight. i don't worry about important calls as only my sister knows my number!
We have cable, but it's free with our rent. We also have streaming services, of Netflix and the WWE Network. We did have extra cable channels, that we paid for (for years). But we got rid of that last month. so now we're just paying on our internet, the modem, and HD boxes. As again, the cable we have now is free with our rent. If you don't watch that much tv (cable) then it's a waste of money.
@Marty1 I don't know, around 200 maybe. all the shows we watch, are on the channels we get. hbo was part of the extra channels we had and canceled, as it was a package deal. see, some people are like that, they don't have cable because theyre not into whats on tv these days - but then they still watch a lot of tv, by using the streaming services, that has older shows/movies on them.
@Courtlynn oh good, you can see all the shows you watch! that makes me happy! since you mentioned it. most of the shows I watch on cable are old shows anyway. I like the 1970s and 80's comedies from when i was a little girl. I also sometimes like comedies in black and white depending on which ones they are. Netflix has a great bunch of documentaries that i would also like to watch, Not sure about Hulu yet as i didn't sign up for it yet, and they would not let me see any examples of shows they offered unless I actually signed up for it.
@Marty1 they should've let you see what they have without signing up.
We don't have cable. We watch everything online.
how do you watch it online? do you mean Netflix?
@Marty1 I have Prime but there are also a lot free sites to watch TV shows and movies.
@Happy2BeMe i thought all those sites one had to pay? i will look for them. thanks for telling me!
@didinedhia (1945)
• Algeria
that is expensive
yes that is expensive and much more than I am willing to pay!
• Algeria
@Marty1 yesss
• Lenox, Georgia
Nope, no cable here. We had pureflix at one time which we love and will be getting again and we have Netflix as well. =) Much cheaper than cable!
VERY much cheaper than cable! what is Pureflix? i never heard of it? what is your favorite Netflix show?
• Lenox, Georgia
@Marty1 Pureflix is a Christian Netflix basically. Lots of faith based movies and shows. =) My favorite Netflix show is When Calls the Heart. I only watch 2 shows on there, that one and Call the Midwife. =)
@LovingMyBabies Pureflix sounds great! My aunt gave me the book for the series for when calls the heart that she read for her Christian book club as she was always telling me about them when i call her weekly to chat. My sister loves the when calls the heart show too!
Whoa...that is way too much! Can you go to some kind of streaming? Also, there is a service I think it is called bill cutter that will negotiate your bills for you and get them down to the bare minimum. I think Lowermybills.com is another one.
i am getting rid of cable and having Netflix, Hulu.and Amazon prime (i have that as i get free shipping each month for cat food that is delivered by subscription) i really don't want cable anymore, but thanks for the suggestions
@Marty1 I understand, but you might be able to use it for other providers.
@snowy22315 oh i may have to look into that.
• Rupert, Idaho
We don't have cable, just paying for internet is too much for us lol....so we just use HULU for watching shows.
i am going to get Hulu and i have Netflix and amazon prime. I should be okay with them!
• Rupert, Idaho
@Marty1 Should be able to get a lot if you have all of those!
@MommyOfEli2013 yes i will have too much with all these!
@dodo19 (35096)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Yes, we do have cable. It is part of our bundle. We do watch tv. Yes, we do have Netflix too, which we do watch, but we also watch stuff on our cable.
as long as you are watching it. you seem happy with the price so I am delighted for you
@dodo19 (35096)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Marty1 Yes, we do use it. It is maybe a little high, but at the end of the day, we still use it. Maybe we'll look at others, but for the moment, we're happy.
@dodo19 don't worry about the price if you use it that much. i don't want to pay that much as i don't watch a lot of TV
Since I live in a van, I use only streaming services like hulu, Netflix, Tubi TV, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I like it because I can watch whatever I like whenever it is convenient.
that would be nice to watch when convenient
We do have cable and it is very expensive. Haven't been able to give it up yet.
do you use it a lot?
I have cable at home also and it is called Cignal
i never heard of Cignal? i will have to look into it.
I have DirectTv and still get value despite cost. I don't like being solely dependent on unreliable streaming services.
i see what you mean, But Direct TV is not always reliable in my area as they take off local channels that everybody wants to watch frequently. it is not going to kill me to not have a streaming service for a while
I have dish for Tony, that is what he does 24 hours a day, watches th t.v. but he is sick so he cannot do nothing else.
then if that is all he can do, then he deserves it! you are a great carekeeper!
We watch very little TV and don't download much at all. That was a big increase in your bill.
it was a huge increase in my bill. I don't watch much TV either, but don't mind watching streaming services
@FourWalls (17552)
I ditched cable and my bill went down $100! I don’t miss it, either, because I’m not a big TV watcher. I have the baseball subscription so I can watch baseball games, and that’s all I need!
that is what i am expecting! i am not one much of a big TV watcher either. i think i can watch streaming services and be happy! I hated i had to pay $8 a month for hundreds of sports channels as i don't watch any sports! then there are the taxes which are way too much!
that is very high there.Ours is high not a much as yours
i think they are taking advantage of me, but wait until best big sis gets on the phone with them when she says she was calling them. do you use services like Netflix or do you have cable?
I have a combo with internet, cable TV (with a small amount of channels) and land phone. Both of my daughters have ended their land lines and are only using cellphones. And, to tell you the truth, with Netflix I don´t think that cable TV has much use either.
same thing i am beginning to think. My sister was telling me all her family watches on the streaming services and it does sound good! My sister and her family also got rid of their landline (different company) but they all live on their cell phones. but i don't use a cell phone so that is not in question. i prefer an old fashioned landline.
@KristenH (26008)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I have cable. I pay $181 with Internet and landline every month. If I have a cable/Internet/phone disruption on their side, I do get credit off my bill and save anything from $3-25 or more. My cousin ditched cable and her TV almost a year ago since she doesn't have time to watch it anymore when she comes home from work. But she does Hulu though.
I wouldn't mind $181 but what I just paid is way too much when i don't watch that much TV my sister gave up their cable because of the price even though they can well enough afford it, unlike what it sounds like your cousin is doing, they have seemed to watch more TV shows and movies by streaming from what she tells me in casual talk. she says one can get every episode of a lot of shows on the streaming services. her husband, she told me today, has been watching Mash for every day for months now. (i think he watches one or two episodes a day when he gets home from work)
@nela13 (12964)
• Portugal
I have cable, but my monthly expense with It Is nothing compared to you.
@dya80dya (10305)
I have a cable.