another partner!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Remember Jamie who cooked with me? well she was planning to come and I would defrost me to make some recipe i could only cook with her (as an example the pumpkin pancakes she canceled that day and i set off the smoke alarm and made me cat fall off the couch where he was taking his after-dinner nap. he likes to bap after dinner on the couch until i am in bed a few hours then he will come to bed) she was canceling every other week so i decided to quit the mental health peer program we were seeing each other under. But my case manager convinced me to go back to the program. i have a new girl coming named Courtney (i am excited because when she was just learning how to do the job she shadowed Jamie and i adored Courtney! now i got a call and she is coming to this Wednesday, February 13 the to see me and I think we will be cooking together! even if Courtney doesn't cook as naturally as Jamie at least somebody will be here so i won't be as nervous Is Julia Child still alive? if so, Julia watch out Jennifer and Courtney are entering the culinary world! if you can cook, how old were you when you learned to do it?
I wasn’t allowed to be in the kitchen when my mother was cooking. The kitchen was tiny and she didn’t want us in her way so I never learned to cook until I moved out on my own. I hope you enjoy spending time with Courtney. I think it’s good you went back to the program. Hopefully Courtney is more reliable then Jamie was.
Yes, our kitchen is kind of small too, i wasn't allowed in the kitchen either. my mom also didn't teach me to cook too. i think is that she hated cooking and she didn't want to teach me as it would be extra work, plus she always said i would make too much of a mess and she would feel bad later after yelling at me. I am on my own now even if in the same house and i am determined to be the next Julia Child!
@Marty1 the mess is tough to deal with. I know from cooking with my kids but it is nice when they want to help out. I think it's good for them to learn if they are interested. My mother was a terrible cook anyway so it's a good thing she didn't teach me!
@shaggin yes, you are lucky! but i didn't mean only as a child, she would not teach me in my thirties and early 40's either
@Nana49 (1224)
I never wanted to cook as a kid i learned after i got married to my now ex husband his mom was a great cook she taught me most everthing i know and now i consider myself a good cook :)
you are lucky! i wanted to learn to cook since i was a little girl, but my mom refused to teach me if my mom taught me, i would be fantastic as a cook as my mom was the best in cooking!
You were great rejoining the program. I am waiting to learn how the session goes for you. I am watching out for the remake of Julia Child's
Yes, i think i did the right thing too. i am getting excited to see her. yes, you can see Courtney and I on Netflix soon =)
@Marty1 you made me laugh you should do youtube while you can.
@sharon6345 what would i do for youtube?
Good luck with your cooking partner.
thank you! i am getting very excited! i can't wait to actually start cooking!
@Marty1 It will be a lot of fun and it is something that you really enjoy
@Happy2BeMe yes it will be fun and i decided the first thing we make will be something in my air fryer. maybe pork chops or fried chicken. i have not decided yet
I am glad she convinced you to go back to the program. Hopefully Courtney will work out a lot better than Jamie did. I sat on my grandmother's counter from as far back as I can remember, watching her cook. There were several years when I didnt' cook and it was like I had to teach myself all over again.
Yes so am I. I love to cook but am a bit afraid of it. i feel better if somebody is here with me. my one grandma wouldn't teach me and my other i would not have wanted as she was a bad cook. I wish my mom would have taught me but she absolutely refused to teach me which is a shame as she was the best cook ever
@Marty1 I am sorry that they refused to teach you. Did your mother or grandmother (not the bad cook) ever write down their recipes? If they did, you could try to follow them and learn some of what they wouldn't teach you. My father's mother was a bad cook. The only thing she could cook (that I liked) was something that my mother's mother taught her. My mom's mom and my dad's mom worked together as cooks in a daycare at one time, years ago.
@ScribbledAdNauseum no my grandma went by looking at a recipe nobody knows any of her recipes
I am so glad you went back to the program and you have Courtney coming to cook with you. I was 7 years old when I started to cook with my mom.
wow! that was young! I bet that is why you cook so good now.
@Marty1 I liked to stay in the kitchen to look how she cooked and I started to help her when I was very young.
@LadyDuck My mom kicked me out most of the times she cooked.
I learned to cook basic foods during my primary school years.
my nephew is learning basic foods in school too. he is 13 and can cook some basic foods when he gets home from school.and my sister and her husband get home from work. that is good as he is always hungry!
@Marty1 It is nice that he can cook something for himself if no one is around.
@Shavkat yes he is growing into such a fine young man!
@dya80dya (10305)
I learned to cook easy things when I was 13 years old.
good for you!
@dya80dya (10305)
@Marty1 But now I don't like to cook.
@dya80dya what don't you like about it? it can be fun to do it and make new recipes from ones you see online or in magazines?
• Rupert, Idaho
That is great to hear, I hope you have fun cooking together! And I watched my family cook growing up, but otherwise taught myself.
i think we will have fun as she is a perky young girl (to me at least as she is about 27 years old now) i want to teach myself but the pumpkin pancakes and fire alarm scared me (and my poor cat didn't like to fall off the couch either)
• Rupert, Idaho
@Marty1 Sounds like an awesome time with her! And I definitely can understand that, so it will be good to have her there!
@MommyOfEli2013 yes it will be super to have her in the house!
Good luck cooking with your partner. I've been cooking since I was a child.
thank you! what is your favorite thing to cook? i think i am going to cook something in the new air fryer i got for Christmas with Courtney!
@Marty1 I enjoy cooking lots of things, but prefer dining out. Have fun and let me know how you like your air fryer.
@DianneN that is how my sister is, she eats out most nights. I will be giving a review for my air fryer for sure!
I didn't really cook until I was out on my own..I guess when I was in my early 20's. I did cook a little bit at home, as a teen but mostly baking or heating up food not real meals.
i wanted to cook all my life but my mom refused to teach me. the one thing she let me do is she would prepare beef stew the night before and put it in the refrigerator and i would get to bring it out to plus it in as she slept way past noon and i would plug it in 7-8 am
@Marty1 Even when my mother was working..she never really had us cook dinner or anything. She would have us do other tasks around the house though.
@snowy22315 we would never do things good enough so we never did anything around the house. She was too picky
That is good news that Courtney is coming to help you cook. You'll have great times together.
i agree as i really liked her and that day wished to myself she would be my peer! my wish came true!
@Marty1 Sometimes wishes do come true.
@JudyEv yes shes do come true even if about a year later!
What a name . I'm glad you were convinced to get back into the program, and i truly hope this works out for you.
Yes, I always liked the name
@Marty1 I always hated it, lol
@Daelii (5939)
I'm glad you are still in the program! hopefully this time around will be an even better experience!
thank you! i am hoping for the best too!
My Mom taught me some cooking and the rest came by just doing it on my own.
i think my sister learned to cook that way
@Deepizzaguy (16790)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I learned from some cooking skills by my late mother when I was her caretaker.
you were lucky she taught you. my mom refused to have anything to do with teaching me to cook. when i was her caretaker she ordered food delivered to the house from a restaurant
I made my first full meal alone when I was nine. I grew up hanging around the kitchen. Mom and Dad both taught me. I think dad did more than mom. When I got out on my own is when I began to really try new foods, though.
what did you make for your first meal at 9 years old? you are so lucky your parents taught you so young.