Let's Go and Throw Some Axes

There are places popping up all over the place that allow patrons to throw axes at wooden targets. I was surprised to learn that a young friend of ours, a very athletic young lady, had her bachelorette party at an axe-throwing, or hatchet-throwing, facility located in our area. Our son and his buddies took their good friend Nick to an axe-throwing facility located in a nearby Chicago suburb to celebrate Nick's birthday. Alcohol is allowed to be consumed at most axe-throwing facilities. Throwing axes and drinking alcoholic beverages just sounds like a recipe for disaster, but apparently not. The controlled environment and the axe-throwing "coaches" at the facility make sure everyone remains safe. Apparently, urban axe-throwing is all the rage these days. There are commercial axe-throwing facilities in Canada, the USA, the UK, and in other countries too. The National Axe Federation (NATF) reports that those folks who are having fun at axe-throwing facilities have thrown nearly 20 million axes to date. Axe-throwing facilities have heavy-duty walls, high ceilings, and chainlink fences that surround the target area's sides and top. Axe-throwers earn 5 points for a bullseye, 3 points for sticking their axe in the circle that surrounds the bullseye, and 1 point if the axe lands somewhere within the outer circle. If an axe-thrower announces that he or she is aiming for the "clutch," two green dots above the circles, that thrower gets 7 points if the axe sticks between those two green dots. 81 points is a perfect score for an axe-thrower, and that score is not easy to obtain. You can bring your own axe to an axe-throwing facility, however, the axe must be the size, length, and weight outlined by the The National Axe Federation (NATF). You can also rent an axe to use at the axe-throwing facility. Oh, joy!
ABC’s Karen Travers tries her hand at a new competitive sport with a cult following! SUBSCRIBE to ABC NEWS: https://www.youtube.com/ABCNews/ Watch More on ht...
Maybe it calms down those who have axes to grind.
I am sure it does!!
• Edinburgh, Scotland
@JohnRoberts It would take a lot of grinding to calm me down sometimes!
@MarshaMusselman I am sure there are already laws or the venues would not be in operation.
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I think it would be more interesting and even exciting if they threw axes at each other.
I am sure there are some who may have tried that.
• Edinburgh, Scotland
@UncleJoe I have a list . . .
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@ThreeTeddies So do I. I lean to one side when I walk.
• Uzbekistan
The last sentence surprises me. "You can also rent an axe to use at the axe-throwing facility." Does the word 'also' mean that the people who want to throw axes usually arrive with their own axes? I must say that the idea of people walking or driving around with an axe doesn't appeal to me.
People do arrive with their own axes. There are axe-throwing leagues, and those who are in a league usually bring their own axes. Those new to axe-throwing rent axes the majority of the time. I would be worried that perhaps a person who was emotionally unstable would have an axe in hand.
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 That's what I was thinking of when I read the text.
@Fleura (8317)
@Corbin5 @MALUSE I'm sure that if an emotionally unstable person wanted an axe they would have one or more already rather than renting one!
The points accrued, do they win anything? I mean, is there a voucher for another trip half price for the one that can get 81 points? I feel as if axe throwing would be a perfect way to get rid of stress, don't you?
@Fleura (8317)
I imagine it would be popular for stag parties or corporate work days!
All axe-throwing facilities are run differently, so not sure which ones would award someone for 81 points. There is a World Axe Throwing Championship held, and monetary awards are given for those who score the highest. Championship throwers go over 200 points. Yep, stress-relieving axe-throwing would be.
@Corbin5 Oh wow, well if I were any good at it, I would enter into that Axe Throwing Championship. I wonder how many other females would be there?
@Fleura (8317)
I haven't come across that before! I could practice at home with the axes I have in the shed!
Yes, and if you practice, you can compete in the World Axe-Throwing Championship and win $5,000!!
@Fleura (8317)
@Corbin5 Maybe this could be a whole new hobby!
@Fleura I would give it a try if I could get my sister, husband, son and a few friends to come along with me.
@valmnz (14533)
• New Zealand
I wonder if all those axe throwers know how to use an axe to chop wood
I suppose a few know how to use it to chop wood, but the majority are just having fun throwing an axe.
I think it's not allowed in Europe to go around bringing an axe with you, surely here the only solution would be to rent.
Yes, in some countries, renting would have to be in place. There has been a global rise in knife crimes in Canada, UK, France, Israel, Germany, Belgium, and China, so those countries may also ban anyone from bringing his or her axe.
@Corbin5 In France it has always been banned to bring a knife, but criminals do not respect laws.
@Corbin5 No matter how much the laws are strict, how many policemen there are to check people, there are always those who do not respect the laws.
Looking at the photo, I'd be inclined to call that hatchet throwing. Axes are much bigger. (yes my husband regularly accuses me of nit-picking ).
I would like to give it a try one of these days.
@Corbin5 I can go throw axes (or hatchets) in the back yard. Paying for it do it elsewhere doesn't hold much appeal.
@SophiaMorros Yes, it appeals to those who live in urban areas in which having an axe is unnecessary.
I just looked to see if there happened to be one out here . . . we actually have one somewhat locally - who knew! I guess this takes playing darts to another level !
Yes, playing darts pales in comparison to throwing an axe.
@Corbin5 Would you try it? I have a feeling I'd be pretty terrible at it .
@much2say I would try it. Just want to see how well I would do.
@LeaPea2417 (23800)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I just learned about that. A celebrity I follow on Instagram put out a photo of him and his wife going out on a date and doing that.
It is a very popular activity around here.
@LeaPea2417 (23800)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Corbin5 Interesting.
this I know about and heard a lot.Saw some of this on TV.Thank you
I heard about it from our son. Never knew people did this.
@Corbin5 yes a while back one of the news caster had this
@CarolDM (15475)
Wow reminds me of watching the Vikings.
I bet throwing an axe does make the thrower feel like a Viking.
@CarolDM (15475)
@Corbin5 Yes, they are bigger than a dart! I wouldn't know.
That’s one “sport” I will pass. I’m proud to say that I’ve never picked up or thrown an ax in my life. I’m proud of my record.
I have picked up an axe, belonging to my dad, but just placed it in the garage as a keepsake.
@aureliah (22468)
• Kenya
That sounds more dangerous than a shooting range. I havent heard about this around here
It has become very popular in urban areas of countries.
@Deepizzaguy (16790)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Ax throwing is one good way to let off some steam just like bowling for me.
I agree. It is just another method for doing away with some stress.
@dya80dya (10305)
I would try this.
I would give it a try too.
• Midland, Michigan
No thanks, but I got a chuckle at John's response which I can see below. For everyone else that response could be anywhere, lol. I still can't imagine the good this will do overall. It will give more people better aim at throwing axes and I'm hoping it won't provide an easier way for a weapon to be purchased for later use in an inappropriate place. While the majority of people doing this as a pastime would probably never conceive of such a use, I'm sure it could surface later. I don't think this is a good idea whatsoever.
Any items can be used by a weapon if a person is bent on doing harm. So far, no problems have resulted.
@JESSY3236 (8377)
cool. I have tried to throw knives one time at the Renaissance Festival. Not good at it. I probably wouldn't be good at ax throwing either.
I would like to give axe-throwing a try. Sounds like good exercise.
• Nigeria
It will be interesting for some people but for my kind of person I don't like games like this it's too risky
It does seem a bit risky to me too.
@fluffy69 (2294)
What rewards do they get once they obtain a higher score?
Well, at the axe-throwing facilities, I doubt there are rewards. However, at the World Axe-Throwing Competition, money is earned for those who score the highest.