We drive a Toyota Prado Kakadu

Bunbury, Australia
Uncle Joe (@UncleJoe) wrote a discussion about there being a car for everyone. I’ll put a link at the bottom. We drive a Toyota Prado and have a top-of-the-range model, a Kakadu. It is a four-wheel-drive and we had to buy it in South Australia when our other car ‘failed to proceed’ as they say. We bought it second-hand but are very pleased with it. The Kakadu National Park is in the Northern Territory and just south of Darwin. It is a similar size to Slovenia and about half the size of Switzerland. It includes four major river systems, six major landforms, 280+ bird species, 1,600+ plant species and around 117 species of reptiles. Being a four-wheel-drive and quite a big vehicle, choosing Kakadu as a brand name would have seemed a good choice, implying a rough, tough model. Hopefully before we get too old we’ll be driving our Kakadu to Kakadu and they can make each other’s acquaintance. The photo is of our car and caravan in a nice camping spot on our way home from Tasmania and Melbourne last year.
When I was a kid it wasn’t difficult to remember all the car names on the road. Although some models are no longer made, there now seems to be a vehicle for...
We've been pleased with Toyota. Thirteen years ago we bought a used Sienna that we really couldn't afford. We paid it off seven years ago and it's still going strong. It currently has over 300,000 miles (getting close to 500 000 km).
They do seem to last forever and seem to be easy to get parts for and to work on if need be.
For many years we had a Ford Fiesta and a Datsun ZX 280, now we have a Dacia Sandero (Renault) that is a very good car, we are happy with it.
We had a hire Renault in France and thought it was a lovely car.
@JudyEv They make good cars now. When my husband decided to sell the vintage Datsun and the small Fiesta, he was undecided what to buy. The local Ford garage was no more reliable, the closest was the Renault garage, we tried the Dacia and we loved.
@arunima25 (10970)
• Bangalore, India
It looks like a car well suited for your needs. Toyota is a trusted brand. We also own one of Toyota MUV car and it is worth.
They are reliable and easy to work on if something does go wrong.
@arunima25 (10970)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv Totally agree. They have good customer service and support. We are having a good experience with them since last five years.
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
For my money, Toyota is one of the most tough, reliable vehicles you can buy. I think they should have named it a "REAL-yota!
There are dozens of Prados on the road here as well as dozens of other Toyota models. They are very popular and have a good reputation.
You can't go wrong with Toyota. We have a beat up old Corolla. It may not be pretty but it never lets us down. Nice set up you have there.
There are a lot of Corollas here too. Thanks. The caravan and car suits us well.
@aureliah (22468)
• Kenya
I love Toyota prados especially the V8 series. Mine is a Subaru Imprezza
This is a 6-cylinder. Now we have a Prado we see them all the time.
@aureliah (22468)
• Kenya
@JudyEv okay
• Preston, England
That is the kind of car i'd like if I could drive - I'd probably end up with a Fred Flintstone log-car though
The heavy 4 wheel-drives are popular in Australia although a great many never go off the bitumen. People regard them as a 'safe' vehicle, not so likely to break up in a crash.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv A real classic vintage car
My husband has had a Toyota Prius since they first came out. It's a hybrid and safe for the environment.
Hybrids are becoming more popular here now.
@sunrisefan (23005)
@JudyEv But still very expensive.
@JudyEv Now electric cars are becoming the rage.
@Kasjnak (3203)
I agree, there is a car for everyone . Your car looks great, actually, everything looks great in this photo . Maybe I'll have one too, it's one of my dreams to go camping for a few months . If I remember correctly, you had a problem with one of the car's windows? It opened at the push of a button, but you had to manually close it? Just testing my memory, let me know if I was right, please .
The 'problem' was with the humans really. There is a sunroof that opens by pushing a button but you have to manually close it. We were trying to find a button to close it with. I'm glad we didn't take it to a garage to get it 'fixed'. Wouldn't that have been embarrassing?
@Kasjnak (3203)
@JudyEv Ah, yes, I remembered something like that, my memory still works . Well, maybe the guys at the garage wouldn't have looked at the button, what if they said there was an electrical problem?
@Kasjnak I know!! This a big worry. What if they had charged us hundreds then said they couldn't fix it?
• Edinburgh, Scotland
I have a Kia. It's the second one I've owned and I wouldn't go past that make. Our first Kia did 95,000 miles and absolutely nothing went wrong with it (I didn't even have to change a lightbulb). We are now on our second (both from new) and I expect every bit as good service from this one
Kias are very popular here too and have a good reputation.
• Edinburgh, Scotland
@JudyEv For some reason a lot of people in the UK laugh at Kias. Probably because of where they come from and also from never have been in a Kia. I think they are excellent vehicles
@ThreeTeddies Some have pre-conceived notions about particular makes. It must be hard for those manufacturers and salesmen to get past these prejudices sometimes.
I saw his post yesterday and enjoyed it. I have never heard of a Prado kakadu but it looks similar to other crossovers I have seen. The next time I need to get another vehicle it will be a crossover with four wheel drive.
I haven't heard them referred to as crossovers before. This is a good size for pulling the van.
@JudyEv as far as I know crossovers are pretty much the size between a van and a car. They are becoming very popular. Some companies no longer sell vans and have switched to the crossovers.
@shaggin That makes sense.
A four wheel drive is a good car.
I think they are quite safe cars because they are so sturdy.
@JudyEv That is good then.
Does it spell out your personality?
Yep, rough and tough but soft inside!
@JudyEv You seem to be that way
@wolfgirl569 (19029)
• Marion, Ohio
That is a great plan to have the 2 meet.
That is in the pipeline once we get back from overseas.
@wolfgirl569 (19029)
• Marion, Ohio
@dya80dya (10305)
I like this kind of car.
It is quite big when you have to park it but it has to be strong to pull the caravan.
I think you made a very good choice, we drive a Subaru Forester which is a smaller SUV but it is very sturdy with lots of pep.
W had a Subaru when the boys were little and absolutely loved it. There weren't many small 4 wheel-drives around then but it would go just about anywhere. Being light, it would even go where some of the bigger makes wouldn't.
@Ronrybs (8408)
• London, England
If there is a car for everyone, then mine would be pedal powered!
Well, they do make them but I'm not sure they come in your size!!
Looks like a pretty nice set up.
It's ideal for us. We look forward to having more enjoyable times in it.
@crossbones27 (23472)
• Redlands, California
Nice hope you find suitable transportation to get you around, now that is a rough neck of the woods. Most of this country talks about gang violence, they have no clue what animal violence looks like, Birds, reptiles, plants, mammals, spiders,are they insects, I think not, Al Capone reincarnated, even Dinosaurs can kill you there.
I think we'll be pretty safe. Our wild animals all recognise us and don't worry us.