A Dentist Invented Cotton Candy

As a kid, cotton candy was a real treat. I remember that the cotton candy we bought was always pink, which was definitely a more appealing color than the original 1904 white-only cotton candy. Eating cotton candy does mean the eater is eating mostly air, but who cares? Cotton candy tastes really good to those of us who have a sweet tooth. A dentist invented cotton candy in 1897. He had help with his cotton-candy invention, though. A fellow who was a confectioner weighed in on the creating of cotton candy. At the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri, cotton candy, called "Fairy Floss" at the time, was a huge hit with fair patrons. Later on, another dentist developed a similar machine to make the lighter-than-air candy which he named "Cotton Candy," and the candy that is primarily air has been called by that name ever since in the USA. I assume that a lot of new patients came the way of those two dentists who invented cotton candy due to the candy's cavity-causing nature. Today, good old cotton candy comes in a variety of flavors and colors.
???Watch our feature video on Making Cotton Candy With A Professional X-15AX Whirlwind Machine. Buy Here ? http://luckypennyshop.com/x-15a-whirlwind-cotton-c...
• Rupert, Idaho
Oh wow, I did not know that...very interesting!! Cotton candy is good though...remember always having it at the carnival...we'd bring a big bag home to share!
Yes, always at the carnival. We used to watch the cotton candy being swirled around and it would be handed to us on a large paper cone.
• Rupert, Idaho
@Corbin5 we still got them in plastic bags....but similar memories! Such fun!
@playertwo (3786)
Wow i did not know that story. that is so interesting.
More patients for him that clever dentist. I am very happy he invented it though I love it. Especially the pink ones.
I love it too. I have not had any for a long time, but now there are a wide variety of flavors from which to choose. Blue raspberry sounds good to me.
As a matter of fact the dentist invented the machine to easily make the cotton candy, because the product already existed in Europe in the Seventeenth century, but it was very complicated to make it. It came to Italy in 1904 with the Buffalo Bill Circus.
@kepweng (22396)
cotton candy is my worst food treats
@kepweng I do not like cotton candy.
@kepweng (22396)
@LadyDuck whatso the ingredient if those a clouds?
@CarolDM (18678)
This brings back memories of going to the fair, I would always get cotton candy.
Yes, that is where we would enjoy county candy too. We would get a bit sticky, but we loved that cotton candy.
@CarolDM (18678)
@Corbin5 That was the fun part back in those days.
@playertwo (3786)
@Corbin5 I love cotton candy it is so awesome. i used to eat it when i was a kid.
@UncleJoe (12881)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have made myself sick from gorging on cotton candy.
I have done the same!!
I love cotton candy. I know that you can find it in stores but I don't think it's the same. I feel like you have to go to the fair to experience cotton candy. My favorite flavor is maple!
I agree. The best cotton candy is that made right before your eyes.
@Corbin5 Oh yes, a sweet treat and a show. I like to watch the videos of it being made. I haven't come across any in a long time, however, I used to come across cotton candy making videos on facebook all the time. I watched a video of someone making cotton candy using jolly rancher candies.
@playertwo (3786)
@Corbin5 yes it really is and i have seen blue cotton candy before.
. I'll bet business was booming for him! My grandson loves it so much that his parents request them at every birthday party he has. Always a big hit with kids of any age!
It would be a hit for me too!!! I have not had cotton candy in decades. It would be sweet-overload for me.
He really would have benefitted from patients coming in with cavities from the sweet treat wouldn't he?
Yes, he must have known that cotton candy was the best cavity-maker around!
@playertwo (3786)
@Corbin5 That is why he invented it so that way he could get more customers.
Lol who would have thought? Love cotton candy though very sweet treat.
Yes, probably one of the sweetest treats out there.
@Hate2Iron (11306)
LOL... can you imagine!! I will be meeting my new dentist soon and I will be sure to tell him that my old cavities are all his fault... ;)
Yes, tell him that!!! The dentist's name is William Morrison.
@alberello75 (21265)
• Genova, Italy
Well, that dentist invented an excellent system for him, to increase his / her customers! Therefore, an excellent source of income. Do not you think?
I think the dentist was thinking of all the money he could make due to all the cavities that resulted from eating cotton candy.
@alberello75 (21265)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 The sugar on the teeth is like rust in the iron. Just to make you my personal comparison. Do you agree?
@alberello75 Yes, I agree.
@bunnybon7 (39294)
• Holiday, Florida
believe it or not when i was around 9 yrs. i got a little cotton candy making machine for my birthday and was surprised to find it was made purely from heated sugar !! that was whirled around so fast it did that. except came out about one bite each time. so i pretty well wore it out with my friends and soon set it aside for another doll.
I would have worn it out too!!!
@bunnybon7 (39294)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 i had forgotten about it all these years till i saw this post . fun memories. i was quite popular with my friends a couple of days.
@didinedhia (3753)
• Algeria
i did not know that
It is a candy that has been around for a very long time.
• Algeria
@Corbin5 yes i know this candy loooooool
Smart dentist! The color of the cotton candies are simply appealing and now there are several flavours and shapes too.
Very smart dentist, for sure. Tootsie Roll Inc. makes a mixed-fruit cotton candy. I would like to try that.
@Corbin5 Oh I've never heard tootsie roll is making that.
I've heard about this before. Thought it was funny. I love cotton candy. Always get it at the carnivals and fairs, and dollar tree.
I love it too. I need to make my way to Dollar Tree. I did not know that store sold it.
@Corbin5 yes, they sell the, i think charmed, brand with the blue, yellow and pink together.
dentists makin' such? nah, don't surprise me one iota coz they'd be like all the others'n 've the need to make one need their services. ne'er partook'n such a delight myself 's sugar 'tis my enemy. amazin' 't all the flavors they're come'p with, eh?
Yes! Toda, bubble gum, banana, raspberry, vanilla, watermelon, chocolate and more are available for lovers of cotton candy.
@Corbin5 dang, they wanna make sure folks stay 'ddicted to such, eh? mercy...
One of my favorite treats. I usually get it several times a year.
I have not had it for a long time, but I do love cotton candy.
@norcal (4057)
• Franklinton, North Carolina
I remember the first time I had it as a kid. The way it melts in your mouth.
It is rather magical to a kid.
@Shiva49 (15394)
Yes, the dentists were never short of patients! The children love all kinds of candy - siva
That cotton candy was definitely a cavity-causer.
I think it is less cavity producing as it dissolves well. It is not like gooey sticky caramels, which I love, or hard candy that you can break your teeth on. I love getting cotton candy maybe once a year at the fair or such.
Yes, other candies out there probably do more damage to teeth than cotton candy.