Whether you're religious or non religious, I'd love your opinion!

Perth, Australia
I pretty much say this every time I'm about to speak about religion. I feel I need to because I worry I will be misunderstood. So I will start this by saying that no, I do not care what religion, faith or tradition people practice / follow as long as it's not hurting anyone or anything. I have a lot of questions and I struggle to comprehend certain things religious people tell me but I've never once attacked anyone for believing what they believe. If they are happy, then that's good. I have to throw this in as well. I love my family very much but sometimes things are said or done that makes me sad or angers me. So as most of you know, my dad has been through a lot with his toe and foot. A lot of us have been helping him out. My Aunty has been helping by driving him to his appointments. Yesterday my dad told me something that kinda ticked me off! Ever since her husband ( my Uncle ) died from cancer, she's become Christian. Which I feel I know why but I will leave that out. Not relevant right now. Anyways she says some things that annoy me. Things like "You are going to hell unless you believe." or "I can't wait til I am in heaven." Or one of my 'favourites' "Your mother would be in hell." Just quickly, why do people talk as if they just had a lunch date with God? As if they had a conversation about how he thinks and what he wants. If God is real, I'm pretty sure it's up to him on where he wants us all to go. I am fine with opinions but I do not appreciate harsh comments like my Aunty made. It's like a mocking goody two shoes type of comment. So yeah my dad tells me something my Aunty said yesterday. And I quote "Every year God has given me something to keep me occupied around the time Danny died. And this year it's you." Danny is her husband and my Uncle. Now! Is it just me....or does it sound like she believes God has made my dad ill on purpose? I am thinking it is because my Aunty has also said in the past, and again I quote "God gave Uncle Danny cancer to make me a stronger person." So....This loving God I hear so much about deliberately traumatised Danny's parents, brother ( my dad ), sons, nieces, nephews and friends to benefit just her? I kinda feel that she says things like that because she doesn't know how to come to terms with the passing of her love. So she believes things like that to help herself cope. I just find it morbid is all. To believe some being killed someone on purpose to better one's life is just selfish! Keep in mind I'm sure Danny didn't want to pass either! And in such a horrible way! Anyway again, no judgement on believers or non believers. Just wanted opinions on this from both sides of the fence on what my Aunty has said. Are her words Christian like or is it just her filling in the blanks of what God apparently does and wants? Thank you in advance.
@myklj999 (26299)
• Olney, Illinois
So many people try to equate everything to their religion or God. Rather idiotic (in my opinion) but that's just how some people are. Why anyone would believe a loving God would punish someone else for their benefit is simply stupid to me. She seems to be one of those people that thinks everything is about them...
@yugocean (9308)
This is called attemt of opportunity.
@TheSojourner (19804)
I no longer subscribe to a religion. I do like some of the stories or the celebrations that have come from a variety of religions, but I no longer believe as I did when I was growing up. I think what you described here and the kinds of things that are said are absolutely horrendous. It is because of the types of things that I am hearing you say and that I experienced in my own life from others, that has pushed me to find my peace outside of some deity that seem to be stories that are filtered from one religion to another and through one family to another to come up with their own brand of how to control others.
• Perth, Australia
@TheSojourner Thank you very much for reading and for your answer. And it's exactly how I feel. I would love to read the bible out of curiosity but when people talk to me like that, I feel completely turned off about it.
@1creekgirl (15246)
@VivaLaDani13 I hope you won't let imperfect people keep you from reading God's Word. It really is the Living Word of God. The NIV translation is the one I like, my husband prefers the KJV.
• Perth, Australia
@1creekgirl Nah they won't. I want to read it for me but honestly it's not because I'm looking for a religion to follow. I have no religion and for now, I'm happy to keep it that way. But I want to read it because I love reading and learning. And it's mainly out of curiosity.
@1creekgirl (15246)
I sure don't believe anything bad ever comes from God. But in this life, bad things do happen and God can often make something good come from it. Your aunt gives authentic Christians a bad name. We're certainly not perfect, but God loves every soul and it's entirely our choice to accept him or reject him.
• Perth, Australia
@1creekgirl Thank you for your answer. I feel the same way about her and people like her who have not really educated themselves with the religion they follow and start blabbing on about it in the wrong way to the point it makes people want to stay away.
I was born in Italy, so I am Catholic. Can you believe that when I was a kid in school the nuns scared us all the time talking about "God punishment", do this or you go to hell, do not do this or God will punish you. I remember that one time I asked "is God supposed to be good, so why he is so mean with humans?". Believing is one thing, blindly believe what religions say is wrong.
• Perth, Australia
@LadyDuck That is horrible! I can actually believe that only because I've heard stories. My mum went to a Catholic school. Actually she got in trouble quite a bit lol But yeah I don't think I would have done well in a school like that. Obeying and following rules yes but being treated like that and being told things like that....No way. I don't think scaring people into being good is always the best way. I love your question. Do you remember what the answer was to that?
@Daljinder (22369)
@VivaLaDani13 I still do not understand the concept of "scaring people" (specifically children in schools) into believing something. Its so foreign to me. I have never feared God. My parents definitely. Even teachers, elders and other authority figures ....I have feared growing up when you do something you are not supposed to do. (LOL) But never God.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder It's odd isn't it?! It's so wrong to me. I know scaring people is a technique to make people obey but it's so wrong!
I believe she should stop saying those condemning things. They are not of God. Because the God of the Bible is "merciful and gracious God, slow to anger, abundant in lovingkindnesses and truth, keeping lovingkindness for thousands, forgiving iniquity and sin..." Look it up from Exodus 34.
• Perth, Australia
@everwonderwhy Thank you for your answer. No, I don't believe she is grasping the religion she now follows. Though, I don't know either. I just know that she contradicts herself a lot and says some horrible things sometimes.
@VivaLaDani13 She sounds like a person that like to hear the sound of her voice and does not know what she is talking about and probably copies what others say.
• Perth, Australia
@Hannihar lol you are spot on! She is like that.
No it's not Christian, we pray for all good people to go too heaven and, try to show everyone they can have a relationship with God :)
• Perth, Australia
@TRBRocks420 That is nice. Though I'm a little confused. I've also heard that Christians pray for bad people too. To like help them find their way onto a good path. That happens too? Or does it depend on the person?
@VivaLaDani13 Yes, we also pray for our enemies, it's just harder to do lol.
• Perth, Australia
@TRBRocks420 lol ok gotcha!
• Agra, India
Irrespective of the religion, God really loved his people
• Perth, Australia
@amitkokiladitya That's something I hear a lot. Then I get a bit confused and disgusted when I hear comments like my Aunty has made.
• Agra, India
@VivaLaDani13 sometimes we all doubt what we think. But in the long run, reality is always the same.
@franxav (6185)
I have friends Christians, Hindoos, Muslims, Buddhists and atheists . They are good people who never impose their beliefs on me. But I hate those who barge into my house, start long discourses on the Bible, trying to convert me to their sect. No one can say this or that person will go to hell. If someone says it, it is not Christianity.
• Perth, Australia
@franxav I am with you! I don't mind people who want to share their joy of their religion but I do get a bit annoyed when someone is trying to forcefully make me believe in something that I would rather look into myself and on my own time.
@Sreekala (28330)
She talking that way on lack of knowledge. God does not give trouble to any one or decide where he/she would go, like heaven or hell. I learnt, it is our own actions decide our future. It is not necessary to believe in God but do good things, make others feel comfortable, never hurt any one intentionally, do things selflessly.
• Perth, Australia
@Sreekala That is how I thought it was about. I even asked my Aunty about that. I said "So even though I try to help people out, sometimes to the point I am sacrificing my money, time, sleep etc, I'm still going to hell just because I'm confused on God's existence?" To which she tells me that yes, I am still going to hell for that.
@Sreekala (28330)
@VivaLaDani13 She is not the final judge in your life. Is she knows where she will go at the end? Her actions determines here future or what she deserve and what she can assimilate. This is applicable for all of us, regardless of our believe on God or religion. God never punish any one, never decided any one's fate but our own ACTIONS alone decide all those. Very simple thing but people do not bother to understand or accept this BIG TRUTH.
• Perth, Australia
@Sreekala Thank you for that. I really liked your comment. Well said.
@sugartoes (46788)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I won't say I'm not a christian but I won't say I am either, but I WILL say that some have their minds set on things that makes no sense to others & they don't think how it effects the person their talking to & I would just do some research on what you want & need to know about it all cause there are SOME things I can testify on that god has shown & told me that HAS came true in my life that's how I became a believer in he IS real & IS there for us in our time of need, & you know I have wrote about such stuff, If you want to find out somethings about this let me know.
• Perth, Australia
@sugartoes Thank you very much for your answer! And yeah I will do so on learning it by myself. I just don't appreciate morbid comments like hers. It's not right to act that way just because she feels she knows everything when she doesn't.
@sugartoes (46788)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@VivaLaDani13 I understand what your saying & I'm the same way I can 't stand for someone to talk but don't have a clue what their saying.
• Perth, Australia
@sugartoes Exactly. Like....I wish you could hear my tone right now because text doesn't show emotion. I truly don't care what people believe if it makes them happy. But to be lectured about something and in quite a mean way makes me angry especially if that person doesn't even know all the facts. They are just following. I would rather listen to someone who knows what they are saying with evidence to back it up.
• Lenox, Georgia
PLEASE forgive me for saying this but NOBODY that loves Jesus and is a TRUE Christian would EVER say those things! Sorry for the capital letters but this upsets me because she is also giving true believers and followers of Jesus a really bad reputation. That is NOT what we speak like or think like. We are NO better than anyone else and we show LOVE everywhere we go!! Loving God and following the example of Jesus is about being SELFLESS. That can be taken many ways about helping your dad, what she probably was saying is God helps us through our own tough things by being a blessing for others who need it-which is AMAZING. Someone who is sick, or down, or someone who just needs our time and love. I'm not the judge but she truly doesn't sound like she has Jesus in her heart. Please don't let anyone who isn't truly a believer change your opinion or allow it to be your only opinion of all of us Christians.
@Daljinder (22369)
@LovingMyBabies Spot on!
• Perth, Australia
@LovingMyBabies I was hoping you'd answer this one! Thank you so much for reading and for answering! I don't feel my Aunty is understanding it all correctly. Something is just off about the way she thinks! It's not good at all and it's not good to for her to spread such hate and morbid messages while at the same time claiming it's a beautiful religion.
@Daljinder (22369)
@VivaLaDani13 It's contradictory. First lesson of all religions is banish all hate and negativity from within. She doesn't appear to have been successful in doing that.
@Mavic123456 (19089)
• Thailand
this is the problem with some Christians, they always want to preach.
• Perth, Australia
@Mavic123456 Some do yes. And to the point it becomes a little overwhelming. I really don't mind listening to someone speak highly of something that makes them happy but if it turns into a conversation of why I'm going to burn in hell, then I don't like that.
@Mavic123456 (19089)
• Thailand
@VivaLaDani13 i really don't like people who became "Christians" to speak highly of themselves as a non sinner. I am Christian and I make mistakes an I say sorry. I got suffocate of people doing such.
• Perth, Australia
@Mavic123456 I know exactly what you are talking about. To all of a sudden decide you're Christian, doesn't mean you're better than anyone else just like that.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
It seems that woman is talking utter tripe..utter trash. That is not decent of her to do so. Sounds she lost it somewhere along the line.
• Perth, Australia
@TiarasOceanView I agree. Again, she's my Aunty and I love her but some things she says just makes me cringe and feel down. And these types of comments is just some of it. She can say some pretty morbid and twisted things some times.
@Sheali (7460)
I don't believe in religion.. It was made by humans... but I believe in a super power..
• Perth, Australia
@Sheali Sometimes I wonder if religion was man made to cause corruption as well as control. I am very interested to know what you mean by superpowers. Can you please explain what you mean exactly?
@Sheali (7460)
@VivaLaDani13 Super power is just a universal force for me.. a positive energy.. religion to begin with, was made to make people behave in a proper way but with time it was twisted..
• Perth, Australia
@Sheali ah I had a feeling you were going to say that. Unless I am still wrong but do you mean kinda like The Law of Attraction? Like if you were to put out positive vibes, the universe gives it back?
@moffittjc (52355)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think she says the things she says (and believes the things she believes) as a coping mechanism, because she hasn't come to terms with the passing of her husband. Or it could be she doesn't have a grasp of what Christianity really is all about.
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc I feel it could be that way too or just something is going on because it's not at all loving the way she speaks sometimes. Only times it sounds loving is when she brags about her going to heaven. @Daljinder She doesn't believe in counselling. One she saw told my Aunty her thoughts about God and because it didn't match my Aunty's opinions, she stopped getting help.
@Daljinder (22369)
@VivaLaDani13 Is there lack of religious counselors? if she doesn't even believe in counselling it won't work either way. Heads I win Tails you lose.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know if there is any religious counselling she could go to. Though I'm pretty sure you and I would know the answers to everything anyway. "God will watch over you." "Trust in God." Most things would be God related instead of actually tackling the issues from her past that may have possibly made her this way. Sweeping it all under the rug and allowing her to just put trust into something she can not see or actually hear, well....might as well just not get help at all. Religion can sometimes be a band aid. Covers the wound but doesn't go deep enough to heal it completely.
@VivaLaDani13 I am sorry about your Uncle and your Aunt is something else. I am not a Christian so do not know what they believe in.
• Perth, Australia
@Hannihar No worries Hanni. Thank you very much.
@VivaLaDani13 Dani, I have not seen you here. Are you ok?
• Perth, Australia
@Hannihar I am ok thank you. I did take a little bit of time off here to do some things. I have a new post coming up hopefully today to explain something positive that has happened recently. It's because of that, that I was off here for a little bit. Also because I've been really tired but trying to get some MyLotting in today.
I do not agree with Aunty at all. She is wrong in her thinking. I believe the Lord always look out for us and when things go wrong He is there to comfort but never inflicts anything bad on anyone.
• Perth, Australia
@RasmaSandra Thank you for your answer. I'm not exactly educated with the bible but things that she says just doesn't sound right. It's so uncaring and mean.
I believe in God. I do not believe that he would do something like giving someone cancer to make someone else stronger person. With his help she might have become a stronger or even better person,
• Perth, Australia
@katanncooper Thank you for your answer. It makes me sense that God could have given her strength to deal with the loss of her husband but yeah I don't agree with the horrible and morbid thing she thinks. I'm not religious but I know when something sounds off.
@1hopefulman (39834)
I would not pay much attention to anything she says.
• Perth, Australia
@1hopefulman I don't really take it as facts when she speaks this way. But I do admit it can still scar me a little because of how horrible it is to hear sometimes. And horrible that this is how she thinks and she can't see how horrible it is to think this way.
@dpk262006 (56730)
To follow a religion is a matter of faith. Everyone has different perception about God and religion and nothing is good or bad.
• Perth, Australia
@dpk262006 Well said!