Looking Into the Eyes of a Tarsier

Daytona Beach, Florida
Taking a look at this you probably have two questions. One is what is a tarsier and the other why would you want to look into its eyes? Well, first of all, a tarsier is a small nocturnal primate which is about the size of a squirrel. Its home is the rainforests of South Eastern Asia and it’s the only fully predatory primate in the world. Its diet consists of lizards and insects. Now about those eyes. This remarkable creature has the most enormous eyes, certainly the largest of any mammal when considering its size. Their amazing eyes can be turned in their sockets and due to this the tarsier has a flexible neck and can rotate its head 180 degrees so it can see the entire world it lives in. Its ability to rotate its head in this way is the same as for an owl, to make sure that it sees all possible prey and protect itself from predators. The eyes of the tarsier weigh more than its brain and therefore it has precise eyesight and great night vision. To the tarsier, I chose to dedicate a song from 1938 sung by Ethel Waters “ Jeepers Creepers” in which the lyrics ask Where did you get those peepers? It was a popular jazz type of song and got another hit in popularity when it was included in the 1975 documentary film “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?” with a version by Louis Armstrong. Who has seen the tarsier at a zoo? Who knows this song?
Bluebird B-10025-B Ethel was the first to record this song. Jeepers Creepers Music written by Harry Warren Lyrics written by Johnny Mercer First recording St...
My, what big eyes you have.
I am familiar with the song, but have never seen a Tarsier.
Oh no! I get this song stuck in my head all the time, I cannot listen. Strange little creature.
@andriaperry it's an ear worm for sure!
@sofssu (22879)
Very interesting, And a lovely song to dedicate to the tarsier. I do remember the song LOL
I loved that Jeepers Creepers song when I was a kid. I was born in 83 though. I would love to hold a Tarsier. They are so ugly and so darn cute at the same time!
Wish I could have one as a pet but then I would have to live in the dark @shaggin
@RasmaSandra are people allowed to have them as a pet who do live in Asia? Being a vegetarian I can't stand to feed animals things they need like a snake eating a mouse or a tarantula eating crickets so unfortunately my kids can't have some pets that they want.
@shaggin I do not think these can be pets. It would be too much to care for them and they are nocturnal.
I've seen those cute little tarsiers at zoos, but knew nothing much about them until now. Thank you! And what a perfect song to go with it!!!!
They are the cutest @DianneN my dad has this song on an old jazz recording.
@RasmaSandra They are and what a terrific recording to have!
I love them. We do have them in Bohol, Philippines.
How interesting to live in a place where there are tarsiers @Shavkat
@RasmaSandra I wish I can see them up close. Bohol is too far from my city.
I love this little fellow as he is adorable! And those eyes are amazing! Perfect song for this post! i have heard just the word jeepers creepers in this song, didn't know the rest but am happy i know to know it now!
That's a perfect song choice for that little tarsier. Interesting that it can rotate its head but the eyes are huge
Very interesting and, unique looking creature.
• Agra, India
This is the first time that I'm reading about this animal