The Great Louis Armstrong

Daytona Beach, Florida
It was June 28, 1928 when Louis Armstrong then only 26 years old was getting ready to record a song which would change music history. The song was called “West End Blues” and it had been first recorded by Joe “King” Oliver. Oliver was the one who had taught Armstrong how to play by ear and had brought him to the then capital of jazz Chicago, Illinois in 1922. In 1925 Armstrong left Oliver’s band and headed for New York City. He returned to Chicago to record “West End Blues’ and it was at this time that his unique style and virtuosic technique came shining through and made him an international sensation. The song was one of the earliest recordings which featured Armstrong’s scat singing. It also included a 15-second trumpet intro and an eight-bar solo at the end by Armstrong which made this an amazing blend of rhythm and melody. In 1928 there was no possibility for playback in a recording studio therefore when Armstrong and his Hot Five finished their recording of “West End Blues” they had no idea about what it sounded like. When they finally heard it they were as thrilled by it as everyone else was. It clearly was the beginning of jazz becoming an art form. Who is a Louis Armstrong fan? Who likes jazz?
West End Blues - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five, Okeh 1928
I have seen his first trumpet which displayed in a museum in New Orleans.
I would love to see that @JohnRoberts
I love his style. I actually went to see him when he came to England, I think that would have been in the 1950s.
How wonderful that you got to see him in person @jaboUK
ME! I love listening to this music. I think I had another life back in this time.
Not a huge fan, but he is good though.
@bunnybon7 (39294)
• Holiday, Florida
i remember him and think his best was later on called "What a wonderful world"
He was a great trumpeter. Jazz is good.
@FourWalls (18068)
Amazing trumpet playing and singing style. He actually played on a country music record in the early 1930s!
He was a master of jazz, and I've always loved listening to his recordings. I enjoy good jazz, but classical music is my favorite. Loved West End Blues! It's so nostalgic for me.
@Ronrybs (8621)
• London, England
Not a great fan of Louis, but I have always liked his version of Wonderful World
@garymarsh6 (15716)
I am not a fan of Jazz although Louis Armstrong was quite good!
@Fleura (8788)
I'm not a massive jazz fan - I mean I would never listen to it at home, but I can appreciate it when I'm out somewhere - but I can appreciate his playing.