Have you ever realized you were standing in an historic spot?

I was walking to a meeting in downtown DC the other day and decided to stop and get a cup of coffee. I was walking with a co-worker and we were really early. It was nice outside so, we stopped and leaned against a building a talked/drank our coffee. We talked for a bit, and my co-worker went back into Starbucks to get a second coffee. I looked around and realized I was leaning on a historic marker. It was the marker for Ford's Theater where President Lincoln was assassinated in 1865, I read the sign twice. Has that ever happened to you where you suddenly realized you were standing in the middle of history?
@florelway (3604)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Yes. There are a lot of remarkable landmarks and structures in my country, and it feels great to be in that same spot.
It can be amazing sometimes - I knew about Ford theater but I didn't recall until I was standing there!
I was born in Italy, the Church where I used to go with by parents was built in the late year 300 (NOT 1300). Looking out from the windows of the apartment of my parents I saw the "Sforza Castle". My native city is full of historic spots.
That sounds beyond amazing. My history pales compared to that.
@DocAndersen I never realized that it was so old when I was a kid.
@LadyDuck That is so cool. I remember when I lived in Thailand we went to a Wot (temple). The temple was in disarray, part of the old town museum. The monk who was lighting incense saw my puzzled look and walked over to us. He said to us this is (i don't remember the name) Wot. It is 2000 years old. it changed my view of time forever.
That had to be quite a surprise for you. I may have been standing in the middle of history without knowing it, but not sure.
I knew Ford Theater was in downtown DC. I figured it couldn't be that far from the Whitehouse. It was a wake-up call!!!!
Very much so when I visited Rome and other cities in Italy. It's not possible there not to have this feeling at every second corner.
That is so true in Italy - thanks!!!!
@simplfred (8023)
I am, I am... Well, every place have a story to tell, though some are silence in history for sure they have one...
It is amazing sometimes when you think about it!