Could you live with a partner / spouse who's political views were entirely different from yours?

@pitstop (9021)
The political divide in most countries these days is getting wider and it's almost as if the people too are divided. Would you be able to live with or marry a person who has political views that are way different from you? The hatred that is reported in the media is quite significant.
@louievill (21695)
Political view is not that important in our marriage although I think it's important outside of it ( marriage). It's natural for us to differ in opinion not just in politics.
@vandana7 (70621)
To differ is fine. It would only work, if one could condemn the other as stupid in mind and hold the tongue.
@pitstop (9021)
It's only when the differences result in constant arguing that things can go downhill.
@louievill (21695)
@vandana7 this is very true, I'm lucky to have a partner that talks less and is more concerned with getting things done in rhe house. In general I think politics fits loud, vocal, and talkative types of personalities.
No, I don't think so. Both partners don't have to have exactly the same political views but the general ideas should coincide.
@vandana7 (70621)
I agree with this.
@vandana7 Long time no see. I hope everything is fine with you. No more probs with the authorities!
@pitstop (9021)
I find that very difficult. People seem much more passionate about their political views these days.
I could marry someone who had political views that were different from mine if we both agreed to never to talk politics. Life is easier when both have the same political views, I believe.
@vandana7 (70621)
Political views are often based on fundamental nature. If not today, tomorrow the relationship will break.
@pitstop (9021)
Is it even possible to avoid talking about something in marriage or in a serious relationship?
@pitstop Anything is possible. A calm debate would work.
I think its quite personal for a person to believe anything i wont mind if she has different views
@pitstop (9021)
How will you cope when these differences will crop up as discussions at home.
@pitstop look for me those discussion will not be a mega thing specially the politics. i had these with my friends but not with girlfriend and i will never indulge with my wife too for these,whatever she believes in politics it won't effect my love for her
@pitstop (9021)
@abhinalstrikr that's very positive!
as long as they kept it to themselves..
@pitstop (9021)
In a serious relationship like a marriage or living in, how easy is that?
@pitstop depends on personalities.some subjects it's just best to stay away from.
We should be able to live and let live. If you don't agree then just avoid the subject.
@pitstop (9021)
Do you think avoiding the topic is easy or tough?
@pitstop If you are both very committed to a certain view then it could make things very difficult. You can't avoid these things all the time.
Opposites attract Don't you know that? It can always create healthy debates
@pitstop (9021)
Unfortunately most political debates these days even at the workplace or schools are unhealthy!
@pitstop That depends who debates.
I am fortunate that Hubby and I have the same views politically. But some of my friends have very different views from me . . . some of them are quite vocal about it, but I choose to stay away from that topic with them. At least then I could distance myself, but if you are married or have to live with it, I would think that's not so easy.
@pitstop (9021)
It would certainly be tough.
I do.
@pitstop (9021)
Ok.