Does anyone get panic attacks?

My husband has started to get panic or anxiety attacks. It happens when we're around large groups and the room is loud. He hates concerts and just has problems dealing with noise in general. Just as a side note ... another problem he has is when he gets tired his thumbs laugh!;)
Yes, I have panic attacks. I've had 6 to date that I know of. and if you are writing this as a joke ... I am deeply offended. These attacks are worse than you can possibly imagine, if you've never had them. So impossible to imagine that there are not even words to explain them, but this I will say, they get so bad at times that I have to seperate myself from human contact for hours on end. All to find out that as I reconnect with humanity the anxiety returns tenfold. So once again, this is no laughing matter ... not even through the thumbs.
I'm not writing this as a joke, nor do I intend to offend anyone. I would really like to know what people do in this situation so that they might be able to pass on valuable information that might make it so that he doesn't feel like he has to disconnect from human contact because I kinda like the guy and would like to keep him around!
@medooley (1875)
I have heard of this before. There is a guy that I know that has this same issue. I think that he may know something about this. I will talk to him and see if what he knows. But the thumbs laughing... that is new.
Did you find anything out that would be helpful? Perhaps he knows something about laughing thumbs?
I have suffered with anxiety attacks all my adult life. They started in my early teens after some very traumatic events occured in my life. It is a heavy thing to have to deal with. I have been through therapy, and they say the attacks will continue, it's just the way I am. I now take medication when I feel an attack coming on. The hard part of that is that you never really know when that will be. I too have problems with crowds and loud noises. I seem to do better though if it is an outdoor/open event. I am not confined by the walls of the building. I don't know why, it just is. I wish your husband the best, hopefully he can find a good doctor and maybe some talk therapy. Ok, I want to know how his thumbs laugh.
I'll start with the thumbs thing ... when he gets tired he gets goofy and says that his thumbs are laughing! For four years he asked me if my "thumbs laugh when I get tired." Like most [normal] people I have no idea what this means. Apparently when he gets tired his thumbs tingle which he refers to the laughing. I don't get it, but at least he's good for a laugh. He claims that no traumatic event triggered the attacks. They started at Christmas of last year at large family gatherings. He hasn't seen a doctor about these and I really don't think that he would take medications if they were prescribed for him. And I know he won't be signing up for therapy anytime soon!
@chefpatty (396)
I get that too sometimes when i am around new people i don't know.
Have you found a way to control this or at least ease the anxiety?