Online dating...what do you think?

Just recently, a friend and I were talking, and she mentioned an online dating service. Well she did it just for kicks, but has anyone ever used it for its true purpose? I know we've all seen the never-ending commericals that promise love in the first 6 months or so, but doesn't actually happen? How do you know if you're getting the bang for your buck? Has anyone had any experience with these dating sites? Good or bad. These sites seem to be getting very popular. You can do everything online now, even date! Who'd a thought it.
My mother tried one of these services and did not enjoy it. She is a kind of picky person, but she said most of the people she set up a face to face date with looked nothing like their online photo.
@moneymind (10524)
i don't like it, thats what i think. greetings. : )
@CDonohue (379)
I have a friend who did and he said it doesn't work. He has meet girls but noone that matchs with him